View Full Version : Some Killer Advice

GQ19
11-06-2002, 07:01 AM
I have an iPAQ 3955 and would love to see nothing more than a sleeve that had both bluetooth and wifi (802.11b) support built in.. plus a CF expansion slot.. i think that would help to create the ultimate iPAQ, for now at least.. and i really don't see any reason why it couldn't be done considering George (of Silver Slider fame) took a Compaq CF sleeve and slimmed it down to what he did.. Consider This: i've seen a CF WiFi Card and I've Seen a Bluetooth Sleeve (BluePaq etc.) with a combined CF sleeve and i've ALSO seen MemPlug's Dual CF expansion sleeve.. so why not integrate both wireless protocols and throw in a CF expansion slot.. what more could an iPAQ owner ask for right? maybe my techincal expertise (or lack thereof) is hindering my vision for this, as of yet, dream device... what do you guys think?

Jorj Bauer
11-06-2002, 02:40 PM
I have an iPAQ 3955 and would love to see nothing more than a sleeve that had both bluetooth and wifi (802.11b) support built in.. plus a CF expansion slot..

I don't think you'll ever see such a beast. The size of it would be enough to put off all but the most serious customers (much like the dual PCMCIA sleeve). I can't see HP justifying it because of the size of the niche. Maybe some 3rd party vendor will make it. Maybe I'll have to eat my words; I'm just speculating.

Last I recall, there was a company starting on a dual protocol 2.4GHz chipset (802.11b and bluetooth), but I haven't heard anything lately. If/when this sort of chipset hits production, we should see some dual-function PC cards (then CF cards, then maybe SDIO cards).

Of course, then the iPaq would have to support the dual-function card, which might be another battle.

If this hypothetical 802.11b/bluetooth PC card did exist, then a dual-PCMCIA sleeve fulfills your goals (using a PCMCIA/CF adapter).

On the other hand, a 3900 series iPaq with a bluetooth SDIO card and a dual-slot PCMCIA sleeve also combines your requested feature set. A bit pricey, of course.

vincentsiaw
11-06-2002, 10:01 PM
i also ude the 3955, because my friend use the ipaq 3900 and he experienced anoying problem with the bluetooth, he have to soft reset the device every time he want to activate the bluetooth radio, thats makes me choose the 3955 save me a 100 bucks, also the battery wont last long if you use the wireless feature 8O

for the memplug i bought the one have memory stick slot in it, quite useful, but still disapointing, because my ipaq is now as big and heavy as a brick, i bet i could kill the damn neighbor dog if i throw the ipaq to it! :twisted:

maybe i just wait for the new 5400 series to include wi-fi. bluetooth and gsm/gprs at one device! :P