View Full Version : Dell Pocket PC dubbed the "Axim X5"

Jason Dunn
11-04-2002, 05:44 AM
Dude! The Dell Pocket PC has a name, and it's the Axim X5. Doesn't exactly jump off the page at you does it? :? Anyway, I just received a message from Abba Z. a few minutes ago, and while I can't confirm this (I'm hoping for a scan of the page), this seems to make sense:<br /><br /><i>"Hey this is an email confirming the new upcoming Pocket PC by Dell. I received the new Dell small and medium business magazine, and it confirms their new PDA called the "Axim X5 Pocket PC" available for order online Nov 18,2002."</i><br /><br />And here's something else that's interesting: Abba doesn't seem to be from Canada, which makes me think this magazine was for the US market - so perhaps it will be released in the US on November 18th after all? I have to hand it to Dell - they're doing a really good job of keeping us all in the dark on this one. :lol:

szamot
11-04-2002, 05:58 AM
well it certainly can play well to the name droppers who like to mention names since it will share its name with BMW X5 very clever. I would not be surpriced if BMW started giving them away when you buy a car kind of like Mini does with Ipaq.

ThomasC22
11-04-2002, 06:00 AM
I think you'll find Dell is famous for really sucky names, you've just gotten used to most of them so they don't sound as bad anymore.

Insperion, Latitude, Optiplex...I rest my case.

mookie123
11-04-2002, 06:01 AM
This sounds like a name for generic over the counter anti constipation drug. 8O

Willmonwah
11-04-2002, 06:38 AM
Hey everybody...

First of all, I couldn't care less if it was called the Paxim, cause I can't wait til it's out on the market.

However, I have a dilemma. I have a Maestro that is screwed up because of a rom update failure. It's under warranty, but I lost the receipt :cry: . I can either send it back and get it fixed... which will take some time... or.... I can just buy a new pocket pc altogether! What do you guys think? Or should I just fix and buy... I'm a bit biased by the excitement over this Axim...

Thanks,

-Will

Dave Conger
11-04-2002, 06:44 AM
I can either send it back and get it fixed... or....

Do both! Two Pocket PC's are aways better then one!

ECOslin
11-04-2002, 06:59 AM
'Another Xeroxed Information Machine' X5

I might be a tad cynical.

Edward

enemy2k2
11-04-2002, 07:07 AM
and sell it or keep it as back up or give it away. I'm starting to get a bit paranoid as to what MS may have up it's sleeve for the release of the next version of the PPC OS. Really really don't want to end up with something that's not going to cut it. I think they'll definitely have XScale support by then simply because everyone's using them now. But who knows what new specs they may introduce. :infinity: Don't know quite what to think anymore. :crazyeyes:

Foo Fighter
11-04-2002, 07:21 AM
Axim X5? Sounds like the name for an analgesic cream. :pukeface:

"Axim can relieve even the most painful itch!"

Who thought that name up, and were they off their meds? :drinking:

Foo Fighter
11-04-2002, 07:22 AM
By the way, were there any new pics in the catalog?

Rirath
11-04-2002, 07:28 AM
I vote no for the name as well. Not as catchy as say, the rest. :roll: But eh, at least it has a short name to call it by unlike the Toshiba e740. Unless you like calling your machine "e-7-4-0" in some kinda borg tone.

It's not horrible though... I can get used to it... and Axim, X5, or even Dell will do for short. :)
Anyone else remember The Critic? Ax... ax... Axim! :wink:

Paul P
11-04-2002, 07:42 AM
MORE PICTURES OF AXIM:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/edweb/news/newyork00/photos/isuzuaxiomf3-4.300.jpg

Oh wait wait, that's AXIOM...my mistake

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/42922/page013.html

szamot
11-04-2002, 08:20 AM
Perhaps it is well though of acronym for something or foreshadowing of some sort - like Axe I'm, in Yoda, our I'M an AXE to overpriced PDA's and the X5 of the name immedialtely suggest that even though this is an avenger type of a PDA you still get something posh like the BMW X5, that is of course if think that BMW's are great which I don't. Then again maybe I read too many conspiracy books or need to up my medication.

Ed Hansberry
11-04-2002, 02:20 PM
I have to hand it to Dell - they're doing a really good job of keeping us all in the dark on this one. :lol:
This reminds me of the Toshiba rumors flying in the summer of 2001, right down to the specific MIPS processor it would be running. :lol:

Bob Anderson
11-04-2002, 03:18 PM
Quite honestly, I could care less about the name! What I care about is the fact they are going to enter the PDA market causing competition to pick up - and well, prices overall will go down.

November 18th.. can it get here fast enough? I doubt it!

Jonathon Watkins
11-04-2002, 04:41 PM
I wonder whether this will be released in the UK and Europe at the same time as the US. I do hope so. :P Anyone heard anything about release locations?

Willmonwah
11-05-2002, 08:04 PM
I can either send it back and get it fixed... or....

Do both! Two Pocket PC's are aways better then one!

Thanks for the encouragement! :D

BevHoward
11-08-2002, 11:07 PM
here's the dell teaser

javascript:winopen('/html/us/segments/latitude/axim.html','latitude','WIDTH=504,HEIGHT=288,RESIZABLE=NO,TOOLBAR=NO');