View Full Version : LOOX Flash Update Available

Ed Hansberry
10-31-2002, 03:00 PM
<a href="http://support.fujitsu-siemens.de/PDA/Pocket_LOOX_www/GB/SoftwareUpdate.htm">http://support.fujitsu-siemens.de/PDA/Pocket_LOOX_www/GB/SoftwareUpdate.htm</a><br /><br />I am not sure what this is honestly. It doesn't appear to be EUU3 since that .CAB file is larger than any of those executables, but I could be wrong. I downloaded the English version hoping to extract a README file but WinZip wouldn't open it. :( So, any of you LOOX owners want to give it a go and let us know exactly what it is, we'll update this post. Thanks!<br /><br />Source: WillyG<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> Ok, WillyG has flashed his LOOX and these are the new items he has found.<br /><br />• New Bliss theme <br />• Media Player 8.5 (Build 12177) <i>Cool - seems this does include EUU3</i><br />• Start | Settings | Input | Options includes a new recording format "GSM 6.10" which i havent noticed earlier. Probably for the upcoming addon pack. <br />• "Storage Card 1" and "Storage Card 2" are now labeled "CF-Card" and "SD-MMCard" in File Explorer <br />• Pocket Plugfree (bluetooth manager) updated from version 1.0 (Build Date: 2002/07/22 17:17:21) to version 1.1 (Build Date: 2002/09/30 14:30:40) <br />• Revision level updated from: P22452-P929-V102. To: P22452-P929-V127 <br />• Manufacture version of ROM from: 2002-07-22 to: 2002-09-30 <br />• Bootloader version from: 1.00.13 to: 1.00.18 <br />• Bluetooth now seems to work without starting PocketPlugfree, Swiching on the physical swich seems enough.

mscdex
10-31-2002, 03:23 PM
maybe you should try using the newest version of winrar to try and open the file. winrar is superior to winzip. :D

fgarcia10
10-31-2002, 03:41 PM
I know they have released the spanish version already, MiPcdeBolsillo site has a post about it.

Teddy
10-31-2002, 04:17 PM
Hi! Well I have flashed my LOOX and two noticeable things have changed. WMP has changed to version 8.5.
There was a problem identifying storage cards. If you had a SD and a CF card it just identified them as STORAGE CARD1 and STORAGE CARD2. Now that has been corrected to show SD-MMC card and CF card.
Apart from that, the buttons seem more responsive than before and the device seems a tad quicker...

WillyG
10-31-2002, 04:18 PM
Guess the size is what it is because it includes device spesific updates. (Why Microsoft released to the OEMs not us, the users)

I installed it about an hour ago. And here is the changes i have found so far:
Hard facts:
-New Bliss theme
-Media Player 8.5 (Build 12177)
-Start | Settings | Input | Options includes a new recording format "GSM 6.10" which i havent noticed earlier. Probably for the upcoming addon pack.
-"Storage Card 1" and "Storage Card 2" are now labeled "CF-Card" and "SD-MMCard" in File Explorer
-Pocket Plugfree (bluetooth manager) updated from version 1.0 (Build Date: 2002/07/22 17:17:21) to version 1.1 (Build Date: 2002/09/30 14:30:40)
-Revision level updated from: P22452-P929-V102. To: P22452-P929-V127
-Manufacture version of ROM from: 2002-07-22 to: 2002-09-30
-Bootloader version from: 1.00.13 to: 1.00.18
-Bluetooth now seems to work without starting PocketPlugfree, Swiching on the physical swich seems enough.

Feelings:
-Reading from MMC card seems faster (new driver?)
-Device seems faster in general (Code optimazion? Xscale spesific tweaks from Fujitsu Siemens?)
-I have heard from others Active Sync over bluetooth now works more reliable (i have not tested myself, will do in an hour when im back home)

I will keep you posted if/when i find more (supposed to work now :wink: )

Gremmie
10-31-2002, 05:22 PM
Sound like EUU3

Jason Dunn
10-31-2002, 06:43 PM
If you get WMP 8.5, it's most certainly EUU3. Enjoy!

alex_kac
10-31-2002, 07:55 PM
Please note!

EEU3 contains a fix that we've been working with Microsoft about since March.

It fixes a bug in POOM where the Attendees do not get emailed updates/invitations for appointments.

Just FYI :)

Paragon
10-31-2002, 08:38 PM
Hi! Well I have flashed my LOOX and two noticeable things have changed. WMP has changed to version 8.5.
There was a problem identifying storage cards. If you had a SD and a CF card it just identified them as STORAGE CARD1 and STORAGE CARD2. Now that has been corrected to show SD-MMC card and CF card.
Apart from that, the buttons seem more responsive than before and the device seems a tad quicker...

So, Teddy you broke down and bought a Loox!? Did that Casio finaly give out on you? :)

Dave

WillyG
10-31-2002, 08:52 PM
So, Teddy you broke down and bought a Loox!?

Dave

Teddy did the right thing :wink:
Hope you like it as much as i do Teddy. Looxing good so far with Fujitsu Siemens responsive and fairly quick to release the update.

I miss a official "Whats new/updated" list from them tho. If someone stumbles across it, please post it.

Damn kids on the door again, where do they all come from, and where did all my snack go?

hollis_f
10-31-2002, 09:25 PM
A warning for any Looxers who haven't yet implemented the upgrade. The installation software suggests you follow the procedure - backup, hard reset, upgrade, hard reset, restore from backup.

If you do the restore part you lose all the changes of the upgrade. You also lose some other bits. I no longer have the power-on password (nor the setting applet to set it). Others have reported that the only way to switch on is to do a soft reset.

It seems that the only safe way of upgrading is the re-install all your apps after installing the upgrade.

juni
11-01-2002, 07:38 AM
Bluetooth now seems to work without starting PocketPlugfree, Swiching on the physical swich seems enough.

What exactly do you mean by this? It would be great to start my PAN access without having to go through the plugfree-start/find devices/select desktop/start PAN and then surf.

Pony99CA
11-01-2002, 10:24 AM

You might want to be careful with this. When I hacked the registry on my iPAQ 3870 to force it to say "CF Storage Card" (I have a dual PCMCIA sleeve), my Windows Media Player playlists no longer found the MP3s on my CF card.

I fixed the problem by editing my playlists on my laptop and synchronizing them to my iPAQ. Fixing them on the Pocket PC directly would have been too painful.

Steve

farnold
11-01-2002, 03:38 PM
You might want to be careful with this. When I hacked the registry on my iPAQ 3870 to force it to say "CF Storage Card" (I have a dual PCMCIA sleeve), my Windows Media Player playlists no longer found the MP3s on my CF card.

Steve, you no longer need to manipulate the registry for that. EUU3 does this automatically.

Ed Hansberry
11-01-2002, 10:54 PM
It automatically opens up all of your ASX files and changes Storage Card to CF Card?

farnold
11-02-2002, 12:02 AM
It automatically opens up all of your ASX files and changes Storage Card to CF Card?

Nope, Ed, it doesn't - that would be cool, by the way...

What it does is giving the reg key
\HKLM\Drivers\PCMCIA\ATADisk\Folder a value of CF-Card and
\HKLM\Drivers\SDMMC\Folder a value of SD-MMCard".
As a result you have to either install your applications again and re-define your other links (which I think is the better way, even it takes some more time) or you manually change the Registry back to the values you used before. My preference for the longer way is mainly based on the fact that a restore of a backup will always also overwrite other settings that EUU3 just put in.

Pony99CA
11-02-2002, 02:42 AM

Steve, you no longer need to manipulate the registry for that. EUU3 does this automatically.
Yes, I understand that, but that wasn't the point of my post. The point was that you might have to fix your playlists (and other things).

Also, will EUU3 do this for all Pocket PCs, or just the Loox? Notice that I also said I was using an iPAQ 3870. My iPAQ's SD key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\SDDisk, and I've tried changing the Folder key from "Storage card" to "SD Storage Card", but it doesn't stay that way.

Steve