View Full Version : A Warning To All Pocket PC Owners Regarding ROM Updates

Jason Dunn
10-31-2002, 11:51 AM
This happens every time there's a major new ROM update, so it bears repeating here again. I've been seeing reports from people who have been getting their Toshiba e740's back from the recall, and when they try to do a restore, it doesn't work. Here's why:<br /><br />When Toshiba sends back your repaired e740, they will have applied the EUU3 ROM update and done a hard reset in the process. Most restore programs will do a ROM check to ensure the device it's restoring to is a match, and as you can guess, it will generate an error. Although you're only backing up data in RAM, the RAM and ROM are deeply intertwined. The EUU3 ROM update can be performed without a hard reset - it only updates ROM areas - but I always perform a hard reset to be on the safe side. When I did the EUU3 update on the XDA without first doing a hard reset, Windows Media Player 8.5 mysteriously stopped working a few hours after the EUU3 update. <br /><br />Your mileage may vary, but I view major ROM updates as a good excuse to get rid of the accumulated junk on my Pocket PC and start fresh.

Newsboy
10-31-2002, 11:56 AM
Your mileage may vary, but I view major ROM updates as a good excuse to get rid of the accumulated junk on my Pocket PC and start fresh.

There's another way of saying that Jason...goes something like PITA.

Len Egan
10-31-2002, 12:08 PM
I've downloaded EUU3 for my ipaq but as yet haven't had the gut to apply it. Like most, I hate to re-install. Be honest, having done it, was the update worth the aggravation?

sponge
10-31-2002, 12:31 PM
Woah.. EUU3 is out for iPaqs? When did this happen, anyone have a link? (can't find it on Compaq's site)

Len Egan
10-31-2002, 12:45 PM
Sponge, I believe that 36xx series is the only release thus far.

cessquill
10-31-2002, 01:16 PM
Recently finally got around to upgrading the rom to 2.20 on the iPaq (for some reason I figured I'd all ready done it - D'OH!), and I couldn't believe the improvements in memory management.

I await EUU 3 with breath so baited that sharks would come looking.

jayman
10-31-2002, 01:23 PM
You say you have updated your XDA
where did you get the download?

Please can you post a screenshot of the ROM
not because I don't believe you, but because
I have been promised when mine arrives on
Saturday, it will be pre-installed and I need to
know how to check this.

Thanks in advance.

Jayman.

lnewulf
10-31-2002, 01:38 PM
Sponge, I believe that 36xx series is the only release thus far.

I can't find EEU3 for the 36xx series on HP's web site. Do you have the link by chance? Thanks!

gliscameria
10-31-2002, 03:35 PM
I just got off of the phone with toshiba and the did confirm that they do update the ROM image and reset everything.

However they said they had no knowledge of people having trouble with restoring.

Soo... If you have problems. please let them know.... so maybe they can fix that with mine.. =)

I take it this Euu3 doesn't have Xscale optimization yet?

avoglio
10-31-2002, 03:56 PM
For me the major drawback is not the need of reinstallments since this goes more or less in one step, its quite easy.
The real drawback is the hassle to reenter all those reg codes of 20-30 shareware apps I have installed on my system.. :evil:
I store all those codes in ewallet. Due to a missing recent backup I couldn't find an older file for some time. Once I found it, I needed to find my old confirmation emails with those codes and collect all that stuff again.. took me some hours to accomplish.

So keep your codes save before updating ! 8)

amin
10-31-2002, 04:49 PM
I had no problem restoring my e740 after I received it back with the new ROM. The backup/restore function built into the e740 doesn't seem to mind restoring to a device with a different ROM than that on which the backup was done. Unfortunately, the restore brought back the old Windows Media Player, as well as a bunch of other stuff I no longer needed now that EUU3 was installed. Therefore, I did a hard reset and started fresh without a restore. As avoglio said, the biggest pain in the neck was relocating all those registration codes.

Paul
10-31-2002, 05:11 PM
Yeah, reg code entry can be tricky. Here's what I do.
Make an excel/word/text file where you store these reg codes.
Use Pocket Controller or a portable KB for your PocketPC to enter these codes, it's sooooo much quicker.

JorgXDA
10-31-2002, 05:36 PM
EUU3 for the XDA? Are we talking the real "XDA branded" o2 version here? I was unable to find it online. How did you get it?

Does EUU3 also address Phone Edition specific issues (such as the SMS-contact name bug)?

Thanks

Jason Dunn
10-31-2002, 06:40 PM
You say you have updated your XDA
where did you get the download?

The benefits of being an MVP. ;-)

I don't know of any way to check for the EUU3 update other than WMP being 8.5.

Jason Dunn
10-31-2002, 06:41 PM
EUU3 for the XDA? Are we talking the real "XDA branded" o2 version here? I was unable to find it online. How did you get it?

Does EUU3 also address Phone Edition specific issues (such as the SMS-contact name bug)?

No. XDA is my generic name for the HTC hardware that is the 02 XDA, T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition, and the Siemens AT&T SX6 (or whatever it's called).

No, the EUU3 doesn't fix the SMS bug. :cry:

sponge
10-31-2002, 09:11 PM
I'm assuming the 2.00 ROM upgrade has EUU3, for the 3600. I can't seem to find it at the moment, should be in the news archives for many sites though. I was able to install it without a hard reset (it's my old iPaq that's now my little brothers which was hard reset 2 weeks ago)

Pony99CA
11-01-2002, 11:26 AM
For me the major drawback is not the need of reinstallments since this goes more or less in one step, its quite easy.

The software reinstallation is not always a one-step process. If you installed any software using CAB or EXE files directly on your iPAQ, Active Sync won't reinstall those in one step.

The real drawback is the hassle to reenter all those reg codes of 20-30 shareware apps I have installed on my system.. :evil:
I store all those codes in ewallet. Due to a missing recent backup I couldn't find an older file for some time. Once I found it, I needed to find my old confirmation emails with those codes and collect all that stuff again.. took me some hours to accomplish.

Besides reinstalling software and entering registration codes, there are other things you lose if you do a hard reset. Here's a list of things I remember after upgrading my iPAQ 3870 with the 2.20 ROM.

1. Any system settings you changed, like folder information, owner information and your password. I have a bunch of folders in the Programs folder, and after reinstalling my applications, I had to recreate the folders and move the shortcuts around.

2. Any customized settings you have in applications. In "Snails", I found I didn't have the weapons I'd earned by completing all of the missions. In Pocket Watch, I had lost all of my favorite cities and changes to the city database.

3. Any files that you kept in RAM but didn't synchronize. For example, I added new fonts to my Windows/Fonts directory, and had to copy those back.

4. Your Microsoft Reader activation. Fortunately, I had read a post somewhere about what files to back up to restore your activation, and it actually worked.

5. Pocket Internet Explorer favorites and cookies.

6. Any registry changes you made. I've made a few registry hacks, and had to remember them and find out where to put them.

What I have done with some of these (like fonts and the Microsoft Reader activation files) is create a Recovery directory on my laptop with subdirectories like Fonts, Reader Activation, Cookies, etc. Just before I do a hard reset, I'll back up all the files I need from my Pocket PC to the recovery directories. That will make the restoration go much more smoothly.

Steve

avoglio
11-04-2002, 02:19 PM
The software reinstallation is not always a one-step process. If you installed any software using CAB or EXE files directly on your iPAQ, Active Sync won't reinstall those in one step.

That's why I try to always install via AS. Only software without AS option needs to be installed via cab, but 90% offers an AS installation.

Besides reinstalling software and entering registration codes, there are other things you lose if you do a hard reset. Here's a list of things I remember after upgrading my iPAQ 3870 with the 2.20 ROM.

5. Pocket Internet Explorer favorites and cookies.

Just have your mobile favorites synced all the time. Done with one sync again..

What I have done with some of these (like fonts and the Microsoft Reader activation files) is create a Recovery directory on my laptop with subdirectories like Fonts, Reader Activation, Cookies, etc. Just before I do a hard reset, I'll back up all the files I need from my Pocket PC to the recovery directories. That will make the restoration go much more smoothly.

That can be dangerous since you sometimes miss indexfiles or other info kept e.g. in the registry. Having a backup of only on part of that info could mixup your data, especially with cookies and offline data.. :wink:

dunneldeen
11-05-2002, 10:34 PM
4. Your Microsoft Reader activation. Fortunately, I had read a post somewhere about what files to back up to restore your activation, and it actually worked.

Steve

Where did you find the Reader Activation backup procedure? I'd be interested in trying it.

Steven Cedrone
11-05-2002, 11:06 PM

Steve

Where did you find the Reader Activation backup procedure? I'd be interested in trying it.

From ebook and DRM thread:

MS Reader and Mobipocket are fine applications, but have one FATAL flaw: they both use device specific encryption method, the most user UNFRIENDLY method out there. You only have a very limited number of activations available and if you happen to reformat your hard drive, hard reset your Pocket PC or upgrade your hardware one time too many you loose access to all those ebooks you paid your money for.
Actually, I hard reset my iPAQ 3870 when I installed the EUU2, and recovered my activation without a problem.

I had read about what files to backup on some Web site, and saved them. After the hard reset, I copied the files back to my Pocket PC and stopped getting MS Reader's nagging about activating my device.

Here is a list of the seven files to backup:

* Microsoft Activation.unload
* msreader-exe.sig
* msreader-exe-manifest.sig
* secrep.dat
* secrep.dll
* secrep.xml
* secrepid.dat

Steve

Steve

Janak Parekh
11-06-2002, 02:28 AM
Re Reader activation: I've actually read that Microsoft will keep track and let you reactivate the same device ad infinitum - i.e., it's truly device-specific. For what it's worth, I've activated Reader at least 5 times on my 3870 over time, plus two other computers, and never have run out.

Additionally, if you upgrade your Pocket PC, you can just ask Microsoft to cancel out the old activation; they'll do it without any fuss.

So, I wouldn't worry so much about this :)

--bdj