View Full Version : 3870, Rom 2.2 and the Backlight Problem

dochall
10-30-2002, 01:43 PM
I have never had the backlight problem on my 3870 previously but it seems to have developed the fault since I upgraded to 2.2.

I note that Renz had a similar problem with a 3850 discussed herehttp://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2766&highlight=backlight

Not having had the problem previously, I'd always ignored the reports. I thought it was supposed to be a hardware problem which you either had or didn't have. Am I wrong?

Has anybody else experienced this problem as a result of the 2.2 upgrade?

EricMCarson
10-30-2002, 03:50 PM
I also have this problem. You're right in that it only occurs on my 3870 with the 2.20 ROM. It does not occur on any of my other iPaq devices (3650 or 3970). I have just learned to not let it annoy me by turning the power off, then back on (for some reason, this fixes the backlight).

dochall
10-30-2002, 08:58 PM
I also have this problem. You're right in that it only occurs on my 3870 with the 2.20 ROM. It does not occur on any of my other iPaq devices (3650 or 3970). I have just learned to not let it annoy me by turning the power off, then back on (for some reason, this fixes the backlight).

If it was that simple then I wouldn't actually mind. The problem I have has usually involved playing with the backlight setting. The problem is that it doesn't do that.

I have read something on brigthand that says holding in the power button switches the backlight on/off (some show off has read the manual :D) It could well be that due to the inital problem I am holding in the power button and excerbating the problem.

I am going to bear that in mind and see if I can sort it out.

renz
10-31-2002, 11:10 AM
Hi, just a quick note: I still have that problem ... sometimes. Most of the time the backlight works, but sometimes I have to play around with the settings (from on to off and back to on) and then it works. Not good ... :cry:

Janak Parekh
10-31-2002, 02:44 PM
FWIW, I had that exact same problem with my 2.14 ROM, and I still occasionally get it with the 2.20 ROM (maybe once out of twenty times)... but I don't have any real issues (although I'm not being completely precise here; I had to return my unit to Compaq 3 times because the first time they repaired my buttons they created a backlight problem; ultimately they replaced my mainboard, screen, and upgraded my ROM to 2.20, and it's been near-perfect since.)

dochall, do you have to soft-reset, or does half of the backlight slider not work, or what? It's possible that the backlight problem developed incrementally and the timing coincided with the 2.20 ROM...

Anyway, have you considered downgrading or calling Compaq? I don't think downgrading will help, but you should try and debug the problem. If it's in warranty, it's worth considering going through the repair process. (Incidentally, upon my 3rd return to Compaq, I asked them what my recourse was if it wasn't fixed this time, and they said that I could negotiate for a new, replacement unit if three consecutive repairs didn't do the trick. Of course, they repaired it right that time :))

--bdj

dochall
10-31-2002, 05:48 PM
dochall, do you have to soft-reset, or does half of the backlight slider not work, or what? It's possible that the backlight problem developed incrementally and the timing coincided with the 2.20 ROM...

Well actually I have managed to done a soft reset when I have had the problem. (Easier thah start>settings>backlight> etc in the dark) and it still didn't come on.

When I have had the problem moving the slider usually works but I have had times when it hasn't.

That being said since being careful with it I have not had the problem (that a couple of power cycles couldn't support anyway) so maybe it was me holding the power switch in.

I don't actually want to return it to Compaq as they seem to have a rep for dropping machines and not quite fixing it so you stuck in a cycle like your three times. The warranty will run out around the end of December I think so I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Anybody know if HP limits carepaqs to new purchases or can I just buy one now?