View Full Version : iPAQ 1900 Image

Ed Hansberry
10-29-2002, 09:00 PM
<a href="http://www.mypdacafe.com/forums/topic.asp?whichpage=2&ARCHIVEVIEW=&TOPIC_ID=3107">http://www.mypdacafe.com/forums/topic.asp?whichpage=2&ARCHIVEVIEW=&TOPIC_ID=3107</a><br /><br />No details on specs or anything else, or even where the "iPAQ 1900" name comes from - I've been calling the low end device the 2200 for months. In fact, I don't even know if this is authentic. Still, interesting to look at. :D Source: Eddie Yusoff<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> The image has been removed by request.

Foo Fighter
10-29-2002, 09:05 PM
*sniff* *sniff* I smell a fake. It looks like a doctored image of the T-Mobile.

My verdict: an iPaq fan with too much free time on his/her hands.

sponge
10-29-2002, 09:08 PM
I agree. Why an HP logo? They're still keeping brands seperated, and all the iPaqs have Compaq on them, even the 5000, 3900. It's also small enough to really prohibit fake hunting.

No visible button on the side either...

entropy1980
10-29-2002, 09:12 PM
The HP logo is shown in the FCC documents for the 5000 series so that makes sense... I think it may be legit based on the fact that A) depsite supposedly being a low end device I believe they want to retain name/brand recognition based on appearence (hey they kept the Ipaq name not the Jornada afterall!) so Imy guess is it's legit or was legit at some point in development...

szamot
10-29-2002, 09:14 PM
..and the little joypad looks like the new Palm, and the screen look rather large. I say FAKE as well

mookie123
10-29-2002, 09:14 PM
on the other hand it looks like a mix of Jornada design (see the top/side screen case edges) combined with that butt ugly directional pad of Acer/HTC.

this thing is too ugly to be fake. and the cheeseball HP logo in the middle is just way to 'HP'-ish in tacky way.

I'll vote for it being real.

T-Will
10-29-2002, 09:33 PM
Maybe it's a doctored image of the fabled Apple PDA and someone just put an HP logo on it to throw people off.

ThomasC22
10-29-2002, 09:40 PM
I don't know, I've stopped guessing at this point (my off-the-wall-guess is real though).

I will say, the pic is certainly photoshop...but as to who's photoshop it is (HP or Crazed Fan) that I don't know.

Paul P
10-29-2002, 09:44 PM
nevertheless a nice design :) (for a low end device that is)

Programmer
10-29-2002, 09:46 PM
Add my vote for utter fakeness. 8O

kagayaki1
10-29-2002, 11:26 PM
That didn't take long to be noticed by HP...

ThomasC22
10-29-2002, 11:56 PM

If you mean "because the picture was taken down" it hasn't been, that's what I thought first but it turns out that the site that the forum is on just has bandwidth issues (click again and you'll probably get it to load).

Ed Hansberry
10-30-2002, 12:07 AM

If you mean "because the picture was taken down" it hasn't been, that's what I thought first but it turns out that the site that the forum is on just has bandwidth issues (click again and you'll probably get it to load).
We had to take it down. Took HP less than 30 min to see it.

entropy1980
10-30-2002, 12:08 AM
Got it up on mine neener neener HP tell me to take it down! (I know I am being childish but I want to be a pain!) :twisted:
just go here http://www.sprinklerhead.com
shameless plug!!

Xaximus
10-30-2002, 12:10 AM
Looks terribly fake... and just plain terrible ;)

Dave Conger
10-30-2002, 01:09 AM
Got it up on mine neener neener HP tell me to take it down!...

Yeah Jeremiah, I think the same way as you, but I have never been asked to take down any rumored pictures.

I think the design is cool, of course if it is real. If that thing is thin and cheap, it could really compete with the ViewSonic. I like the ViewSonic, but from that picture, I think the iPAQ could just be a tad cooler.

entropy1980
10-30-2002, 01:12 AM
If this is the new Ipaq (read: it must be based on their reaction anybody remember Jason's infamous "Oslo" picsand Palm's reaction?)I think it could be a huge hit but the key will be price if it's above 300-350 it's going to be DOA.

Dave Conger
10-30-2002, 01:15 AM
I think it could be a huge hit but the key will be price if it's above 300-350 it's going to be DOA.

CNet News said in a report they were going for $200-400. I think HP will be smart and see...oh, $300 ViewSonic, $300 Dell, maybe we should charge $300. If they were even smarter they would offer a $25 rebate to start to drop it a little. But another over $300, I think you are on the ball...it is toast.

ThomasC22
10-30-2002, 02:50 AM
Looks terribly fake... and just plain terrible ;)

I agree with you on the looks, but if HP asked for it to be taken down, that pretty much means it's real. &lt;sigh>

CNet News said in a report they were going for $200-400. I think HP will be smart and see...oh, $300 ViewSonic, $300 Dell, maybe we should charge $300. If they were even smarter they would offer a $25 rebate to start to drop it a little. But another over $300, I think you are on the ball...it is toast.

I'm not sure I'm willing to assign that much intelligence to a company that still sells the iPaq 3955 for $650 dollars (and yes I know you can get it cheaper but the MSRP is still $650)

mookie123
10-30-2002, 02:59 AM
Why can't HP hire a good designer? Their product is always a bit "stodgy" almost as depressing as Digital or Xerox.

They should hire Porsche or Benz designer. or better yet. Pinninfarina.

now THAT's classic, destined for Museum of modern art.

Timothy Rapson
10-30-2002, 03:38 AM
Fake.

JornadaJ
10-30-2002, 04:12 AM
Can't be real...

van_mierlo
10-30-2002, 04:39 AM

We had to take it down. Took HP less than 30 min to see it.

I remember a couple of weeks ago that HP also asked us to remove the 5000 series picture from our Dutch PocketPC-club site (http://www.pocketpc-club.nl). And those picture ended up for real......so looking at Hp behaviour, this one could be for real too. :roll:

ThomasC22
10-30-2002, 06:09 AM
I remember a couple of weeks ago that HP also asked us to remove the 5000 series picture from our Dutch PocketPC-club site (http://www.pocketpc-club.nl). And those picture ended up for real......so looking at Hp behaviour, this one could be for real too. :roll:

Yeah, I can't see HP asking that the image be removed and not discrediting it if it weren't in fact real. It might not be the finished product (the original 5000 pics were slightly uglier than the finished design) but it was certainly real to some extent.

mookie123
10-30-2002, 06:09 AM
I am sticking with my "too ugly to be fake" theory.

I'll eat my hat too if it's fake. (well maybe not. :lol: )

Jonathon Watkins
10-30-2002, 11:38 AM
I don't know - it has a certain something.....

I was wrong about the 5000 pics being fake - so I will say that this one looks real. Great design? We've heard of it. :wink:

Duncan
10-30-2002, 02:02 PM
My guess - real and deliberately leaked... let's see - you have a new product that isn't quite ready for official release, other manufacturers are announcing products that could threaten your market leading status - so you leak pictures of your 'not quite ready' unit. Ah - but how do you ensure that a) people see it but b) people believe what they see? - easy - target ONE site, a very well known and visited one, and insist the picture is taken down - knowing full well that the picture will spread all over and be pointed to anyway...

It worked for the 3600 series after all...

fyiguy
10-30-2002, 08:34 PM
The pictures were probably real, I asked to take some pictures of the new HP 5400 series with WiFi and BT at the Enterprise Wireless Forum, the HP rep said I could only take pictures in my mind, because the final version wasn't out yet, and it was only a prototype. It has a cool formfactor (about the size of the Jornada 567/568) none the less, especially the fingerprint recognition feature was really cool. The rep also mentioned that the specs for the sale units weren't final and that all the units may include the fingerprint recognition and Bluetooth capabilites, which would be very cool and separate the iPAQ from the rest of the crowd. This is because HP looks at the future picture and are making alliances with as many wireless carriers to support.

Another rep who handled more of the wireless accessabilty side of things said that not everyone wants an all in one device and some like the functionality of having 2 different devices that can also work with their brand of laptops,which all seem to support both WiFi and BlueTooth. Also with their alliances they mentioned there might be support for the GSM/GPRS sleeve with some carriers, but are awaiting FCC approval and are hopefully looking for a US release in early 2003. They also said a solution for the bluetooth headset profile was on their website, (but couldn't find it at the time, so hopefully it does exist), I will post if they send me the link for it.

They had no firm date of the onsale date for the new iPAQ units either, but speculated a date of early to mid December, but said HP corporate was very tightlipped about this and they had just received training on the prototypes last week.

I can see why they probably don't want to mislead the public it can hurt sales, but sneak peeks for enthusiasts in my opinion seems to presell many of their units. The prototype I saw was very similar to the pictures posted on Brighthand here:
http://www.brighthand.com/article/iPAQ_5400?".

I have more of what I saw yesterday at our site (Shamless plug):

http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=846&mode=&order=0

Thats my 2 cents with 3 cents change...

ThomasC22
10-30-2002, 11:54 PM
I don't know - it has a certain something.....

I was wrong about the 5000 pics being fake - so I will say that this one looks real. Great design? We've heard of it. :wink:

Well, I'm leaving my mind open until I see the final product simply because I thought the 5000 series was pretty darn ugly until I saw the Hi-Res picture at infosync.

So yes, I think this was pretty darn ugly, but you never know what the right angle can do.

Jason Dunn
10-31-2002, 01:01 AM
My guess - real and deliberately leaked... let's see - you have a new product that isn't quite ready for official release, other manufacturers are announcing products that could threaten your market leading status - so you leak pictures of your 'not quite ready' unit. Ah - but how do you ensure that a) people see it but b) people believe what they see? - easy - target ONE site, a very well known and visited one, and insist the picture is taken down - knowing full well that the picture will spread all over and be pointed to anyway...

It worked for the 3600 series after all...

Uh, no. I wouldn't have gotten the type of emails I did if this was a "set up". 8O

Ed Hansberry
10-31-2002, 01:08 AM
Uh, no. I wouldn't have gotten the type of emails I did if this was a "set up". 8O

Oh come on Jason. You are a pawn. They played you like a finely tuned fiddle. :wink:

fyiguy
10-31-2002, 03:11 PM
I heard back from the HP rep on the Bluetooth headset support for the iPAQ:

"In the meantime I want to let you know that only the new 5000 series iPAQs will support the BT Headset profile. The current models (3xxx) do not."

Hopefully HP will make the desired changes to support the headset or people should buy an add-on like the TDK BluePAQ or Belkin CF Type2 PDA Bluetooth adapter if you currently want headset support for your iPAQ.

Duncan
10-31-2002, 07:26 PM
Heh...! I just remember how convenient all of the leaks of the 3600 series were... I can only assume that the wording of the e-mails you got made it clear that it isn't the case this time (devious buggers that they are...) :)

Duncan
10-31-2002, 07:29 PM
fyiguy,

FYI (!) the bluetooth module is the wrong 'type' for audio properties to be enabled (no - I don't know why - I'm just going on what I was told by someone who knows a lot more about this stuff than I do...!).