View Full Version : Syncing with Lotus Notes????

seeker
10-26-2002, 09:15 PM
I am employed in a location with a federally owned computer which uses Lotus Notes as its calendar, email, and contacts manager (PIM).

I really need advice as to how to sync at home with MS Outlook and sync at work with Lotus Notes when neither has an import or export for the other..

>>>>>HELP<<<<<

:?:

Jason Dunn
10-27-2002, 12:19 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/tips/synclotus.asp

The wonders of Google. :-)

Sven Johannsen
10-27-2002, 12:39 AM
There are several Lotus Clients around for Pocket PCs. Cadenza from www.commontime.com seems to get the best reviews. It is a complete Notes client and can sync with a desktop client or directly with a notes server (given connectivity). I am forced to use Lotus at work but have refused to adulterate my PPC with a client :)

You'll wind up with two PIMs on your PPC. One Outlook based and one Lotus based. I don't think there is any way to combine them into one, on the desktop or the PPC. Actually that keeps your personal and work stuff seperate which is often a desire that is difficult to meet with Outlook alone.

Have you considered loading a copy of Lotus at home? The client coexists peacefully with Outlook and would allow you to check your mail, calendar, etc. from home. You would just need your id file and a maybe a couple of .nsf files if you want a local contacts list. Your Lotus Admin could tell you if they are set up to provide that, and help you out. (I have done this, to allow keeping in touch when ill, or such. Our liscensing supports this BTW))

Anthony Caruana
11-03-2002, 06:41 AM
Hi there

I've tried a number of different solutions for sync to Lotus Notes and can not recommend Commontime mNotes (formerly Cadenza) highly enough. It is far and away, IMHO, the bes Notes sync tool for the PPC.

Not sure that previous comment about "two pims" is really accurate. Calendar and To Dos (Tasks) sync into the PPC calendar and task list. This means that if you run Outlook on one PC and Notes on another (as I do) then the two will be in sync, using the PPC as the link between the two.

A really great feature of mNotes is that you can sync both the Inbox of Outlook and the Inbox from Notes as two seperate Inboxes. That way your work and home email don't get mixed in together.

You can download a 30 day trial from Commontime (www.commontime.com) which is plenty of time to give it a thorough evaluation. If you pay for the full version then you get 12 months of support included in the price.

Hope this helps

Anthony Caruana
11-03-2002, 06:45 AM
Oh - one other suggestion. Does your company support iNotes? Then you could access Notes from a browser without the need for a Notes client at all. T

he queston is then whether you want Notes PIM data on your PPC to work with it or just some offline access to Notes data.

Regards