View Full Version : Mr Wireless Tests Audiovox RTM-8000

Andy Sjostrom
10-25-2002, 10:40 AM
<a href="http://www.ppcw.net/stories.php?story=02/10/18/3570253">http://www.ppcw.net/stories.php?story=02/10/18/3570253</a><br /><br />Arne Hess has written a review of Audiovox RTM-8000. Arne is thorough and detailed as usual. Check it out!<br /><br />"The Audiovox RTM-8000 is the first available triple band GSM/GPRS card in CF card size and therefore interesting for all Pocket PC users as it fits into most Pocket PC 2002s. Technically the card supports everything you would expect: so it supports voice calls as well as CSD data calls plus GPRS connections. Because it works as a triple band GSM card, it can be used all over the world, doesn't matter which country. Like with other GSM cards the Pocket PC can not be used for voice calls directly because the voice isn't transferred to the device. This means that you are forced to use a headset unlike with Pocket PC Phone Edition devices. This is for sure a disadvantage and might makes the card more interesting for data than for voice. However, unlike pure wireless cards you could do it if you want and in that case it works perfect."

rtrueman
10-25-2002, 05:06 PM
It looks like a nice solution. I love the idea of getting this functionality in a CF card. Very cool!

What network does it work with? I'm not real familiar with how GSM/GPRS works. I know I'll need to contact a provider in the area, but I don't know who would support it. I'm in the Philly area when we have Cingular and Verizon as the two major players.

Thanks!

Rob

Arne Hess
10-25-2002, 05:31 PM
It looks like a nice solution. I love the idea of getting this functionality in a CF card. Very cool!

What network does it work with? I'm not real familiar with how GSM/GPRS works. I know I'll need to contact a provider in the area, but I don't know who would support it. I'm in the Philly area when we have Cingular and Verizon as the two major players.
Cingular is a GSM 1900 MHz network and if they support GPRS - which they do as far as I know - this card would works with Cingular.
Any Americans here who can confirm GPRS?

Charles Pickrell
10-25-2002, 05:36 PM
Cingular doesn't have GPRS rolled out to all of it's GSM markets yet. In California for example youve been able to get GSM in certain areas for only the last few months.

Arne Hess
10-25-2002, 06:14 PM
Cingular doesn't have GPRS rolled out to all of it's GSM markets yet. In California for example youve been able to get GSM in certain areas for only the last few months.
8O :? :cry: Wow... Still networks/areas in the US without GPRS... :( Sorry for that!