View Full Version : Number of Daily Updates

Jason Dunn
10-22-2002, 10:03 PM
One of the things we're experimenting is how many updates you'd like to see per day - five? Ten? As many as we can cram in? Please answer the survey below and give us some guidance on the amount of content you'd like to see on a daily basis. Thanks!

yawanag
10-22-2002, 10:34 PM
It was easy for me to join the majority and say "as many as you can, the more the better" because I'm not slaving at getting the info out there. I do appreciate all the hard work you guys do each day delivering the news to us the minute it's available.

I would not be enjoying my T-Mobile if it were not for your site advising me to purchase before the deadline.

I check your site three or four times daily and am amazed that each time I do you've been busy at work again.

You're topnotch in my book.

sponge
10-22-2002, 10:38 PM
Oh cmon did you really have to ask this? ;)

T-Will
10-22-2002, 10:40 PM
It was easy for me to join the majority and say "as many as you can, the more the better" because I'm not slaving at getting the info out there. I do appreciate all the hard work you guys do each day delivering the news to us the minute it's available.

I would not be enjoying my T-Mobile if it were not for your site advising me to purchase before the deadline.

I check your site three or four times daily and am amazed that each time I do you've been busy at work again.

You're topnotch in my book.

Amen brother!

greenmozart
10-22-2002, 10:59 PM
I would think that if you guys had relevant info to share or comment on then limiting yourself to a set number of updates would be a bit detrimental. I am constantly grateful and appreciative of the work you all put into the site, and I LOVE being informed of everything immediately.
:twisted:

PPCRules
10-22-2002, 11:08 PM
I would think that if you guys had relevant info to share or comment on then limiting yourself to a set number of updates would be a bit detrimental.
Along with that, if there is no news and you guys bring up/make up weak or unrelated subject matter to reach a quota for the day, that doesn't really help much either.

(That probably went without saying; oh well.)

brntcrsp
10-22-2002, 11:14 PM
It is easy for us to sit here and say that you guys need to crank out more content, but I think most of us understand that since this is not your livelyhood there are many other things that have priority over the site.

One thing I have noticed is that the majority of posts come in at two times generally, Marlof posting in the morning (PST) followed by Jason et. al later in the day. I'm curious to know if that's just because when your times allow or is it that there is little news until then? If it is the latter is it possible to post an article every couple hours instead of a large batch?

Or this might indicate that I need to cut back my browsing a bit and check the site only once a day... (I'm sure my boss would appreciate that choice.)

Jason Dunn
10-22-2002, 11:28 PM
One thing I have noticed is that the majority of posts come in at two times generally, Marlof posting in the morning (PST) followed by Jason et. al later in the day. I'm curious to know if that's just because when your times allow or is it that there is little news until then? If it is the latter is it possible to post an article every couple hours instead of a large batch?

Yes, it's a time zone thing - Marlof and Andy are over in Europe, so the time they usually have for posting is during their evening, which is our morning. :-)

We'll try to break up the posts a little more, you're right - we even have a "Post in 60 minutes" button that we can use, but most of us are so eager to post the news we do it right away. ;-)

brntcrsp
10-22-2002, 11:52 PM
I definitely don't fault you for posting news immediately, but if generating the greatest number of hits per day is a priority, spreading things out a little wouldn't hurt. Plus, for me it's nice to know that my obessive refreshes will be rewarded with delicious new content.

vincentsiaw
10-23-2002, 12:36 AM
according to me this site is the most up to date pockect pc site, i'll be sad if things have to be in quota system, just love the way it is, the more news the merier :P

Jason Dunn
10-23-2002, 12:42 AM
Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting a quota system - my biggest concern is having the readers feel overwhelmed by the amount of news. Based on the poll results, which I should have expected, you guys have no problem keeping up. So be it - full speed ahead!

icatar
10-23-2002, 01:00 AM
Well I voted for the 10-15 posts per day. Just curious, on average, currently how many posts are there per day? I don't think it can be much more the 10-15 anyway. Today has 11 posts and yesterday had 9 posts. I think the current rate is pretty good.

If you get more than that, people who don't visit the site on a daily basis would start missing posts (although why anyone wouldn't visit multiple times per day is beyond me! :) )

It also takes time to read the article/thought/news, then to go through the forums and read through those. I like spreading things out a little, because I do have a job where I have to get stuff done! I don't want to feel that I have to visit the site every 10 minutes or else I'll miss something!

For those that voted to crank it up, "Beware what you ask for, you just may get it!" ;)

Brad Adrian
10-23-2002, 01:49 AM
...you guys bring up/make up weak or unrelated subject matter...
Who? Us? Weak or unrelated [a.k.a. "off-topic"]? NEVER!

SassKwatch
10-23-2002, 06:05 AM
One of the things we're experimenting is how many updates you'd like to see per day - five? Ten? As many as we can cram in?
I didn't vote for any particular number because I would much rather see you post whenever/whatever you think is relevant. If that's 10 times today, but only 2 times tomorrow, and six the day after....so be it.

IMO, if you set a quota (whatever the #), you risk having a couple of potentially negative things happen (not saying they would, 'but'...)
1) If the quota is set too high, then the potential exists to contrive content just to meet the quota
2) If the quota is set too low, then possibly something gets held back that some visitors might find useful....and find it somewhere else first.

My guess is that you're not currently employing a quota, so I say Why mess with success. This site has become my first PPC site visit every day, exactly because you're doing an *excellent* job of posting frequent, but equally as important, relevant info. Please don't mess it up! :)

avoglio
10-23-2002, 09:40 AM
Your concern to overwhelm the readers with content is understandable - but

PocketPCThoughts is the only site which constantly updates its site with news (feeding news as soon as they are availble) ! 8)
All other "news" sites (at least the ones I know and visit) just update once or twice a day..
Since news are only news as long as they are new, there is no choice of posting or not posting them. You could only ommit some news but personally I disagree with such a policy (I know its not planned).

There are times with many news like nowadays and times with few news (summer time). Readers can read the headlines and see if they are interested.

One suggestion if news keep coming in these amounts might be an editorial rating of importance. Like one to three stars or whatever. Its hard to judge anyway but I do not have any other solution present.

Anyway I'd like you too keep posting news asap and every news available. This helps reducing the number of sites I need to visit and enlarge your regular visitor base (good for advertisers :wink: )

Jonathon Watkins
10-23-2002, 10:09 AM
If you get more than that, people who don't visit the site on a daily basis would start missing posts (although why anyone wouldn't visit multiple times per day is beyond me! :) )

Well, holidays perhaps? :wink:

I really like the update frequency. If there are two items to post, then post them both straight away. There is no point in delaying posts just for the sake of it. I come here for the latest news, so would not want to miss something by a few minutes - shock - horror! :lol:

For those that voted to crank it up, "Beware what you ask for, you just may get it!" ;)

Good! :
D

aussie
10-23-2002, 12:39 PM
I visit this site more often than any other web site (Pocket PC related or not). All of your work and insight is much appreciated.

I actually go through a little withdrawal when your site is not available which while rare has happened a couple of times over the past 2+ years. The upgrade to version 3.0 almost killed me.

puithove
10-23-2002, 07:22 PM
I voted for the "As much as you can cram in" option but only with the caveat that it is useful/timely/on-topic/etc. and not just filler. Some "off topic" stuff is ok - I'd say the amount there has been is just fine.

disconnected
10-23-2002, 08:11 PM
This is kind of off-topic, but I'd just like to mention that one of the things I really like about this site is the varying 'voices' of all the people that contribute articles. Most news sites of any kind (and also TV news programs for that matter) all seem to be written by one author, or a group of people that all went to the same journalism school. Every article, on whatever subject, sounds exactly the same as every other article.

Jason Dunn
10-23-2002, 08:47 PM
This is kind of off-topic, but I'd just like to mention that one of the things I really like about this site is the varying 'voices' of all the people that contribute articles. Most news sites of any kind (and also TV news programs for that matter) all seem to be written by one author, or a group of people that all went to the same journalism school. Every article, on whatever subject, sounds exactly the same as every other article.

Thanks - that's the best compliment we've had all day. :D

PPCRules
10-30-2002, 08:43 PM
I like the "all the news you have" amount, but since the site update, the Mazingo "lite" page has been much shorter than the regular site front page. Those days, like today, when there are so many posts, a Mazingo update once or even twice a day doesn't get everything. Was there some reasoning behind shortening the Mazingo page?

Also, since the update, I can't find an 'archive' listing like there was before, showing what scrolls off the front page. I've had to dig around the forums to find some things that I wanted to look back on, and I'd never find things that may have scrolled off before I read the site (I suppose I can make up a search request to find these, but ...). Is this 'archive' list gone, or am I missing something?
Okay, it's there today (11/4). I don't know if I was blind or something changed.
There is dependably so much good stuff on this site that I hate to miss anything.