View Full Version : Socket Brings Bluetooth to Smartphone 2002

Andy Sjostrom
10-22-2002, 09:04 PM
<a href="http://www.socketcom.com/about/press/read.asp?ID=66">http://www.socketcom.com/about/press/read.asp?ID=66</a><br /><br />During our long wait for the Smartphone 2002, we've seen various discussions of what we'd like to see or not see in the device once it is released. Two of the most common wish list items, from the list "not supported yet", has been Bluetooth and MMS support. As my interpretation of Microsoft's mobile devices strategy begins with "Embrace", I would not be surprised to see both of these eventually being baked into the Smartphones. But Socket Communication does not want to wait, so they announced today that its Secure Digital Input Output (SDIO) plug-in products will work with the Smartphone 2002. This includes support for Bluetooth!<br /><br />"Socket today announced that it is optimizing its SDIO plug-in connectivity products to work with the Windows Powered Smartphone. Manufacturers of the Smartphone that elect to build in externally accessible SDIO slots and incorporate BSQUARE’s SDIO Now! Software will enable the use of Socket’s SDIO connectivity products with the Smartphone to transfer information between the Smartphone and other electronic devices."<br /><br />Read on for the entire press release! <!><br /><br />London, UK– 10/22/2002 — Socket Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCKT, PSE: SOK), the Mobile Connection™ Company, at the global launch of the Microsoft Windows® Powered Smartphone today announced that it is optimizing its SDIO plug-in connectivity products to work with the Windows Powered Smartphone. Manufacturers of the Smartphone that elect to build in externally accessible SDIO slots and incorporate BSQUARE’s SDIO Now! Software will enable the use of Socket’s SDIO connectivity products with the Smartphone to transfer information between the Smartphone and other electronic devices. Socket recently announced the availability of an SD form factor Bluetooth Card as the first of its SDIO line of connectivity products. Socket is a member of the Microsoft Mobility Partner Advisory Council (MPAC).<br /><br />“The Microsoft Windows Powered Smartphone will change the mobile phone from a voice-only device to a combination voice and data device that can provide key information to mobile workers,” said Peter Phillips, Socket’s Senior Director of Marketing. “For instance, our SDIO Bluetooth Card will enable Smartphones to connect to a wide range of other electronic devices including computing devices, printers, GPS receivers and other mobile phones via a personal area network. This lets users take advantage of applications such as personal information management, interactive gaming, and the transfer of pictures and other files.”<br /><br />“Windows Powered Smartphones aim to give users more choice—choice of how they communicate and how they access the information that’s right for them,” said Robbie Wright, Director, Mobile Devices Marketing Group, Microsoft EMEA. “Socket’s SDIO suite of products takes this one step further, effectively expanding the tools available to hardware manufacturers and software developers to better connect the Smartphone to a variety of networks and devices.”<br /><br />Microsoft Windows Powered Smartphone provides a rich data platform for mobile developers and operators to build compelling mobile data applications and services. Mobile phones built on the Smartphone platform combine fully integrated voice and data capabilities with a rich set of applications including personal information management, gaming and multimedia features in a small, lightweight mobile phone form factor.<br /><br />About Socket<br />Socket Communications, Inc., the Mobile Connection Company, provides the broadest range of connection products for Windows-powered handheld computers, including Bluetooth cards, wireless LAN cards, digital phone cards, 56K modem cards, and Ethernet cards. Socket also provides bar code scanning products and peripheral connection serial cards for laptops and other mobile devices. Socket Mobility Friendly™ products lead the market with the smallest footprint and most Battery Friendly® power consumption in their class, while being easy to install, use and maintain. Socket products work with a variety of handheld devices including Pocket PCs, and mobile phones. Socket is headquartered in Newark, California, and can be reached at (510) 744-2700, or on the Internet at <a href="www.socketcom.com">www.socketcom.com</a>.<br /><br />About the Microsoft Mobility Partner Advisory Council (MPAC)<br />A specialized arm of Microsoft’s global Mobile Solutions Partner Program (MSPP), MPAC was created to serve as a focused feedback mechanism for Microsoft mobility platform development and to provide technical, marketing and business development support to companies making significant investments and inroads in the mobility space. For more information, please visit <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/partners/">http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/partners/</a>

ThomasC22
10-22-2002, 09:29 PM
I appreciate what Socket is doing here but I think, for Bluetooth to have any kind of power whatsoever it's going to have to be built into the phones.

R K
10-22-2002, 09:36 PM
I have yet to see any Smartphone 2002 with SDIO, so I don't know how well the SDIO Cards will work in Microsoft Smartphones.

brntcrsp
10-22-2002, 09:37 PM
The Sendo unit has an SDIO slot.
http://www.sendo.com/news/newsitem.asp?ID=58

last paragraph

R K
10-22-2002, 11:19 PM
I stand corrected, and gladly.

ricksfiona
10-23-2002, 01:31 AM
Smartphone + built-in Bluetooth + tri-band GPS + SDIO = A Sale

There are some really cool Bluetooth headsets (http://www.blueunplugged.com/main.asp) out there and the phone needs to support them.

We need SDIO for any possible cool add-ons and storage and tri-band GPS is a must!

Still, I would not use this as my primary PDA, but it would get a lot of use. If it's the size of the usual Nokia's or Sony-Ericcson's, that would be perfect.

Landis
10-23-2002, 06:52 AM
I have yet to see any Smartphone 2002 with SDIO, so I don't know how well the SDIO Cards will work in Microsoft Smartphones.

The manual for Samsung's SCH-i600 says "connects peripherals using SD I/O interface"

R K
10-23-2002, 07:22 AM
Yes, brntcrsp already corrected me on that.
I was getting Smartphone 2002 mixed up with PPC2K2 PE.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I know that that's a NO NO around here. :)