View Full Version : Dude, It's a Brand-New Dell

Jason Dunn
10-21-2002, 09:48 PM
<a href="http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,640855,00.asp">http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,640855,00.asp</a><br /><br />A good read about the changes Dell is going through as they expand into new markets.<br /><br />"Dell Computer Corp. made its name and money by focusing on one thing: building low-cost PCs and servers using highly efficient manufacturing processes and selling the hardware directly to customers. But over the past year, the computer maker has embarked on a new strategy that is pushing it into services, printers and PDAs (personal digital assistants). Chairman and CEO Michael Dell and company executives tout the initiatives as a natural evolution for Dell. <br /><br />However, enterprise customers and analysts say that to be successful with the new push, Dell must overcome several obstacles, including its reputation as just a PC maker; its increasing reliance on partners to provide technology; and the danger that, as it expands into new markets, the company could stretch itself too thin at the expense of its current user base." Source: Foo Fighter

Programmer
10-21-2002, 11:46 PM
I am probably not alone for wanting to wait to see what Dell comes out with before buying a new PocketPC.

If it has a CF and SDIO and looks good and has a good battery life then I am all over it. 8)

-- Robert

st63z
10-22-2002, 01:10 AM
Darn it Jason, please post a vidclip of their new intern TV ad! :)

Timothy Rapson
10-23-2002, 01:53 AM
This Dell deal just fascinates me. How in the world can HP/Ipaq compete? Dell is buying these for $170 from Wistron. HP pays HTC $200 for their Ipaqs, but HP has to wholesale them and leave money for the final retailer. Dell does not.

I have been wondering for a month how in the world ViewSonic, HP, and Toshiba respond to this. If Dell succeeds they do the same with printers, PDAs, and who knows what? video games? TVs?

Well, ViewSonic and Amazon saw who the real victim of Dells ultimate plans may be, not only HP, but Amazon. So, Amazon teams up with Toshba and ViewSonic on $zero profit PDAs to keep Dell out of new marketing ventures. It is going to be great for the PDA buying public.

I wonder what happens if HTC puts all its Ipaq profits from the last three years and HP puts all its Ipaq profits of the past three years into delivering PDAs that Best Buy can sell for $200 with a $50 profit for Best Buy? That would cost Dell, but it would also cost HP big time. It is going to be very interesting to see who sells what or whether they can sell all the new units being manufactured right now for sale this Fall.

st63z
10-23-2002, 05:08 AM
Well, ViewSonic and Amazon saw who the real victim of Dells ultimate plans may be, not only HP, but Amazon. So, Amazon teams up with Toshba and ViewSonic on $zero profit PDAs to keep Dell out of new marketing ventures. It is going to be great for the PDA buying public.

That's very interesting!?

Dell either narrowly beat or tied HP for first place market share in PCs (desktops, notebooks, servers) this quarter -- that's the combined HP mind you. And they say momentum will keep Dell #1 from 2003 onward, just amazing...

I too am excited about Dell's moves into all these new markets...