View Full Version : Pocket PC Theme Generator Power Toy 2.0

Jason Dunn
10-21-2002, 08:24 PM
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=44153&area=search&ordinal=1">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=44153&area=search&ordinal=1</a><br /><br />It's out! Go and download it, and start making some cool themes. 8)

peterawest
10-21-2002, 09:00 PM
This is nice to see, but I have to wonder if it's really ready for release, since the poster didn't even take the time to update the web page.

Notice that the information under 'System Requirements' still has the information found on the web page template. The same is true for the 'IMPORTANT DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS'.

WillyG
10-21-2002, 09:10 PM
If you like me, sit there scratching your head wondering whats new, use the link provided by Jason.

If you go the "default way" to www.pocketpc.com, click on downloads, Powertoys and Theme generator, you will end up with the old one.
The text is updated but the "download now" link will get you version one. :?

Maby we in eager are jumping in in the midle of the update process.

And Jason, what about a best, funniest, most creative, coolest... theme contest right here on PPCT, celebrating this ooo-great release :wink:

tekguru
10-21-2002, 11:36 PM
I just love the system requirements: :P

System Requirements

Please replace this text with requirements like:
- Required disc space to download, install and operate
- Required minimum memory and processor
- Any other requirements

reydiodj
10-22-2002, 12:42 AM
Yep, Jason has the right link posted at the top of the thread. If you go to this page for v2:

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/club/default.asp

- , Windows Installer will say:

"This installation package could not be opened..."

WillyG
10-22-2002, 12:52 AM
According to the install package, and website the TGv2 should contain 4 sample themes (i was hoping for the bliss one - the default after the new EUU). I have searched high and low both on my PC and on my PPC, simply cant find them even if i sure selected to install them. How bout you :?:

Paul
10-22-2002, 01:24 AM
Look in \My Documents\My Device Themes\

woisnerrad
10-22-2002, 06:06 AM
I just installed it on my hp Jornada 570, and it worked very well. Absolutely no hassles at all. However, I still don't know what they meant when they asked if I wanted to install it in the default directory. Which IS the default directory??
Anyway, after sync-ing my Jornada with my PC, a new 'bar' was added to my Today screen and it says "Theme Switcher (Tap to switch). Sorry I don't know how to attach a screen shot for you guys to see.

FYI, I had already 5 themes in my device under \My Documents. These themes were created using SkinApp 1.0.0.218.

Oh now I know what "Default Directory" is!! Before I installed this Theme Generator Power Toy, my SkinApp was in my D drive. But after installation, SkinApp was moved to C:\Program Files\Theme Generator, a folder which I didn't have previously.

Am I the only confused one around here? :(

WillyG
10-22-2002, 08:55 AM
Look in \My Documents\My Device Themes\

Nope, i aint got that folder. I have tried both "Complete" and "Custom" installs. But no sample themes. BTW: What themes are included?

The Theme swichers basic functionality works, but its not happy when i try to reorganize the order of the Today items. This could be some of my other today items not behaving i guess (sort order). The Generator on my desktop seems to be working tho. Hmm...

Birdman
10-22-2002, 04:38 PM
This is problem a problem with my system but we are running Win2k at the office and when I try and run the ThemeGenerator program I get the following error message:

"This installation package cannot be installed by Windows Installer Service. You must install a Windows service pack that contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service."

I guess my IS department will have to work this out. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Jeff Kirvin
10-22-2002, 05:11 PM
This is problem a problem with my system but we are running Win2k at the office and when I try and run the ThemeGenerator program I get the following error message:

"This installation package cannot be installed by Windows Installer Service. You must install a Windows service pack that contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service."

I guess my IS department will have to work this out. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Yeah, that happened on my Win2k box, too. I downloaded and installed the most recent Windows Installer from Download.com and then Theme Generator installed flawlessly.

Wiggin
10-22-2002, 07:17 PM
Willy
The four themes that come with the V2 install are:
Windowsflag, Bubbles, Bluesky and Horizon.
They are all visible on the Windows Pocket PC website.
The install software will place the tsk files in the "My Documents\My Device Themes" directory unless you have changed your PC configuration to affect the default MS directory scheme. If you don't have the directory, search for the Windowsflag.tsk file, and that will point you to the correct directory.
The program works fine on both the PC and the PPC, but the Theme Changer on the PPC uses up valuable screen space on the today screen (brilliant decision MS :x ), so I'm going to disable the Changer and stick with Theme Manager from stellarmetrics.
Cheers

reydiodj
10-22-2002, 07:37 PM
A few of cool things I like about Microsoft's Theme Switcher that installs onto your Pocket PC after Theme Generator v2 installs on the PC is that:

1 - It can read all your themes stored in your storage cards even if they are contained in subfolders within the cards - no longer do you have to clutter your My Documents folder with themes! Free some RAM up and put in on your CF or SD card!

2 - The "Theme Switcher" line added on the Today screen allows you to switch to your next pre-selected theme by just tapping on the line. You can pre-set your themes in the order you wish in the Options screen by tapping on the "Opt" button at the right of the line.

and a big 3 - The Options screen is another cool area where you can disable/enable the Theme Switch I mentioned in #2, select the order of themes you wish to switch to (minimum of 2 themes must be chosen). A la ThemeMaster, before you select a theme there's a little preview screen and you can also configure an Auto Switch mode as to the intervals in minutes, hours, or days you would like your themes to be rotated.

major 4 - It's free!

Cons:

1 - It requires a line on the today screen - there is no option to hide the line and just have the Auto Switch on.

2 - You see all of your themes on the list regardless of what folder you may have grouped them in - meaning if you just want to set it to a just a specific few, you'd have to go through the whole list

3 - It's a Microsoft PowerToy; therefore, no support

I purchased and have been using RPA ThemeMaster v2 for a couple of months and now I've started using Theme Generator v2 for a day (BTW: I am using a Toshiba e740 w/128Mb SD card + 256Mb CF Card). A couple of the advantages that ThemeMaster has is that:

1 - it doesn't take up a line on the Today Screen as it only adds an icon to your system tray

2 - you can delete a theme within ThemeMaster's Options screen

3 - you can limit the choice of themes to those in a specific folder

4 - free updates and support is available

Cons compared to Theme Generator v2:

1 - Although you can limit the choice of themes to a folder you've grouped them to you cannot setup the order in which you want themes to appear unless you want to go through the trouble to rename each theme. Your only choices are Random or Sequential within the folder you specify.

2 - The intervals for themes to switch are preset with the longest interval being 1 day

3 - ThemeGenerator is $6.99 (pocketthemes.com)

All in all, Theme Generator v2 is a great alternative to ThemeMaster - especially since it's free! But if you are having problems with installation and have other questions of the product in general, $6.99 is not a bad investment to have someone respond to your emails.

ryanmjones
10-22-2002, 09:29 PM
I was hoping someone could throw me a bone. I have downloaded the Theme Generator onto my desktop (winXP), but I don't know how to run (extract?) that .mss file type.

What am I missing? :?:

ryanmjones
10-22-2002, 09:36 PM
Sorry . . . I mean the .asp extension.

Thanks

ryanmjones
10-22-2002, 09:41 PM
No . . . I mean the .msi extension

I think I am confusing myself now.

brntcrsp
10-22-2002, 09:42 PM
actually you saved the Active Server Page, and not the installer. You want to follow the asp link rather than save it. It will take you to a page to download the .msi, which is a microsoft install package.

try this link instead of the asp one.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/pocketpc/Install/2/W9X2K/EN-US/theme%20generator%20v2.msi

right click on it and select save target as.

R K
10-24-2002, 05:44 AM
I know that the previous Theme Generator was incompatible with Windows ME, has anyone had v2 work with Windows 9x/ME?
It's useless on my system since I can't do anything in regards to opening or saving themes. In the previous version, I din't let me execute the program at all.
Under System Requirements, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows 2000 are listed.

yaron
10-24-2002, 11:35 AM
im working on a win 98 comp and after i install theme generator and i run the program i get an error massage saying:

the skinapp.exe file is linked to missing export shell32.dll : shgetfolderpatha

what should i do....

i checked and im downloading the file thats sopused to work on win 95 98......

please any help will be very appritiated!!!

Mona13
10-26-2002, 02:26 PM
:( I have the same problem as yaron. Please help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice and still have the same problem.