View Full Version : Speed Up User Interface Code

Andy Sjostrom
10-21-2002, 07:53 PM
<a href="http://www.devbuzz.com/content/zinc_evb_performance_grid_pg1.asp">http://www.devbuzz.com/content/zinc_evb_performance_grid_pg1.asp</a><br /><br />Most Pocket PC database applications visualize data in a grid format. Too bad that the current grid control performs like the Swedish tax system. It sucks, pure and simple. Pete Vickers has written an excellent article about how to make the listview control do the work instead. Pete is definately on track. Since Chris and I wrote our Pocket PC development book we always use the listview control for visualizing data in a grid format. If only we could get Sweden a tax system that works, too!<br /><br />"This article was inspired by a recent project, Pocket RDA. Pocket RDA provides remote data access from the Pocket PC to any ADO compliant database. The results were returned into a grid control, and could be saved or copied to the clipboard. In 'program' testing, things looked great (don't they always!!), the 30 or so customer records returned quickly. (As we all know, most 'programmer testing' is carried out with the same 10 records.) I was a bit more concerned with the performance of 100 plus records, but decided it was probably network load (software guys blame the hardware - hardware guys blame the software!). Then when I got into 'real' testing with 2000 records plus, it crawled to a standstill."

dochall
10-21-2002, 08:07 PM
performs like the Swedish tax system. It sucks, pure and simple.

Andy - you should be proud to live in such a progressive and caring country. I expect you to skip to the post box, singing a happy tune the next time you have to file.

Andy Sjostrom
10-21-2002, 09:21 PM
I am proud, of course! In order to not let this turn into a political thread, let me tweak my phrasing... the tax system needs some tweaking! :D

kcmedic
10-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Will this help with slowdowns caused by large dropdown lists?

I work for an ambulance company that is helping test a PPC program that the paramedics use to input patient info. It's almost ready but speed is a big issue. It is slow pulling down dropdown menus and switching from screen to screen.

Any ideas?

Thanx

topps
02-10-2003, 08:06 AM
Will this help with slowdowns caused by large dropdown lists?

I work for an ambulance company that is helping test a PPC program that the paramedics use to input patient info. It's almost ready but speed is a big issue. It is slow pulling down dropdown menus and switching from screen to screen.

Any ideas?

Thanx

2 things that I have found to speed things up:
a) Keep SSCE queries simple when getting data to populate your drop-downs.
b) Keep your forms as simple as possible. You can always generate controls on the fly for elements in the app that are less commonly used. I reduced by app load time from 30s to 5 secs with the above steps.