View Full Version : Connection problem

dinoalbert
10-20-2002, 09:28 PM
Good day, everyone.

I have a problem with connecting to the internet recently on my LOOX (using dial-up with a CF modem). Everytime I tap "Connect" (Start-Settings-Connections-Connect), the hourglass (?) just turns for awhile until it disappears and nothing happens... no dialog box/balloon saying "connecting...". It does not connect at all.

But when I open the Inbox, then tap the send/receive icon at the bottom, thats the only time the dialog box "connecting..." would pop up, then it starts dialing and it connects this time! The problem is, I wanted to remain constantly connected but AFTER it finishes sending and receiving messages (it successfully send/receive mails though), it automatically disconnects! Is there a way I could prevent it from disconnecting after sending/receiving emails?

Also, while waiting for my mails to be downloaded to my inbox, I tried to browse with the IE but it can not open ANY website with a message saying : "the page you are looking for can not be found.."

I also noticed that when it is connecting, I couldn't hear the modem noise/sound.... but it connects. Yet I know this is not normal because this never happened to my HPJ568 although the two have, I believe, the same settings/ configurations.

Is there something that I must have probably missed in the configuration? Please, I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you very much.

TopDog
12-29-2002, 08:06 PM
I've been testing the LOOX for some time now, and has found a serious flaw in the connections...

If you in Start/Settings/Connections/Connections has set the network card to be used on internet, the OS won't use dialup when needed, like you describe...

Changing the network card to respond to Work will fix this (I've even spoken to technicians at Fujitsu Siemens). But now you will have a problem if you've set your email to dial up your work settings...

This sounds silly because it works on any other PPC2002, and it should be an OS issue, but it isn't. This is a LOOX problem, don't let the guys at Fujitsu Siemens fool you!

This is why I hate the LOOX, and keep it in a drawer and use my old iPAQ instead :-)

FredMurphy
12-29-2002, 10:08 PM
Connection Mangler does cause these sort of problems. Mess around with it enough and you should be able to connect to both eventually. I had similar problems on my Jornada 568.

Try setting the first two entries on the Connection Manager page to be the same and this should help.

TopDog
01-08-2003, 09:46 PM
I've had the Jornada 545, 548, 568, iPAQ 3630, Casio E-200, iPAQ 3850 and the LOOX. (I work as a PPC-consultant :-) )

On all of these devices I've set up my GSM/GPRS connections to the Internet on Internet Settings and my RAS to work for checking mail on Work Settings.

The LOOX is the only device I've had this problem on... this is the main reason why I don't recommend it to my customers

BWBlackett
01-08-2003, 11:12 PM
I have had similar problems using my Loox with a Psioon IR Travel Modem. Sometimes is works and sometimes it doesn't. The problem seems to be with the Connection Manager.

The settings I use, which are working at the moment, are

Connections :
Internet Settings
Work Settngs
Work <--- This seems to be the important one.

I have 'modify..'ed the Internet Settings and created a new ISP
(I use Yahoo on 0845-6091350 - user id: Yahoo or No password required)