View Full Version : Hold out for 5400 series or buy 3975

eustts
10-18-2002, 06:45 PM
Hey everyone,

This my first post to the forums. I have read pocketpcthoughts for about 1 & 1/2 now reading up on the pocket pc. I do not own one yet, but I have decided to finally get one. After looking at all the models for the last year and a half, I have decided that the best one for me is the HP Ipaq 3975. Well, just as I decided to plunk down my $750, the 5400 series will be out at Christmas, So the question is 3975 or 5400. If they are exaclty the same in terms of memory(RAM & ROM), screen, software, etc. then I think it is a no brainer;- 5400

I do require bluetooth, but having both WIFI and BT would be nice.

Any comments, advise.... :D

Jason Dunn
10-18-2002, 06:57 PM
A this stage, with new devices coming out for the Christmas season, I'd say to wait and watch the front page for great deals. ;-)

scrinch
10-18-2002, 07:02 PM
I agree. Prices of existing devices should be coming way down once the new IPAQ's, Viewsonic's, Dell's, Toshiba's hit the shelves. And the prices of these new ones are apparently going to be very competitive, too.

I say wait a month or two.

eustts
10-22-2002, 10:51 PM
I am going to wait for the release of the 5400 series and see what it has to offer. :D

Birdman
10-23-2002, 01:49 PM
I have had my 3635 for 18 months now and while I am anxiously looking to upgrade, there is no way I could do it now with Dell, new ipaqs etc. all planned for sometime in November. This is one time I think waiting is the right choice.

xCyJ
10-23-2002, 02:55 PM
wait for 5400 series i say! :lol:

richyi
10-25-2002, 08:20 PM
:roll:
Also remember that this sucker (Ipaq 5400 Series) is suppose to have a built in GPS (Global Positioning System) for mapping and has stronger infra red signal for use it as a remote control. These two features in addition to all other features is the reasons I am waiting for the 5400's. I currently have the 3600 series which served me well. The only minus is the battery. I hope they make a longer lasting battery and/or easily replaceable battery for stand by use.
Ryi

eustts
10-28-2002, 03:41 PM
I did not realise that GPS was going to be built into the 5400 series. I guess I you can never have enough GPS Units;- 2 in car units, and three Garmin handhelp units....

:D

dochall
10-30-2002, 01:01 PM
:roll:
Also remember that this sucker (Ipaq 5400 Series) is suppose to have a built in GPS (Global Positioning System) for mapping and has stronger infra red signal for use it as a remote control. These two features in addition to all other features is the reasons I am waiting for the 5400's. I currently have the 3600 series which served me well. The only minus is the battery. I hope they make a longer lasting battery and/or easily replaceable battery for stand by use.
Ryi

Where did you read that? I have read most of the stuff on the 5400 and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. If it has then I feel an immediate purchase coming on.

taxlax
10-31-2002, 03:42 PM
Actually the rumor is that one of the units that will be released in 2003 may have GPS in it. The only thing that has been "confirmed" is that there will be the following 5400 devices 802.11(b), GSM/GPRS, and CDMA 1x1000 or whatever it is.

don dre
10-31-2002, 03:48 PM
If you have a 3630 you will not be disappointed in any of the new batteries. I have a 3975 and the battery alone was worth the upgrade. The battery is quite long lasting in comparison though it is no cellphone. Well, cellphone other than my jank ass Nokia 3360.

jojaboi
10-31-2002, 05:08 PM
i'm deffinitely not the expert, but ya'll are liable to be waitin for devices that end up being released around the same time edge/utms services are made available in ur area which would mean hardware that supports such services would probably be right around the corner. i'm happy with what i can do with my 3975/t68i and i like the fact that i can keep my connection up to date simply by buying the latest, greatest phone (bring on the edge handsets/service). Also, i dont want to rely on a bulky pda for voice communications so i dont realy care for intergrated gprs. to me the hardware improvements just are'nt worth it, although i would like the removeable battery feature( no need for the biometric scanner, has the same screen to the best of my knowledge). as the subject title implies i'm just throwing out a possibility, oh and stating my preference for a voice handset/bluetooth modem and seperate pda. :D

Gremmie
10-31-2002, 05:35 PM
Actually the rumor is that one of the units that will be released in 2003 may have GPS in it. The only thing that has been "confirmed" is that there will be the following 5400 devices 802.11(b), GSM/GPRS, and CDMA 1x1000 or whatever it is.

I think it would be safe to assume the GSM/GRPS has GPS to comply with the e911 service. It will most likely not be on the unit but the GPS would be via cell phone. Your position is determined by the phone provider which is then looked up by their GPS units. So called "server based GPS"

eustts
11-01-2002, 04:07 PM
UMTS is a couple of years down the road. Yes, it is being deployed in some area in Europe and Japan, but we still have to mature our GSM market before the service providers make the move to UMTS.

e911 service that is being/attempted to be deployed now is based on GPS units or some other technology at the cetnral offices and radio base stations. The equipment will then triangulate the phones position using this equipment. One of the reasons the service providers are trying to postpone or delay rollout is due to the amount of hardware is necessary to make it work. One solution places a GPS unit at every cell site in the network. :D

ntractv
11-01-2002, 04:13 PM
I'm waiting as well, but, geez, is there any reason why the iPAQ can't come with a removable (as well as longer lasting) battery.

dochall
11-02-2002, 12:43 AM
I'm waiting as well, but, geez, is there any reason why the iPAQ can't come with a removable (as well as longer lasting) battery.

the 5400 does.

Anthony Caruana
11-03-2002, 07:02 AM
IMHO the compelling reason to wait is not for the feature set the 5400 will bring but the benefit to consumers of the price war that is about to erupt. With the potential for a sub $USD150 Dell and others entering the market I believe that the 5400 will see some real competition for the first time in a while.

Even the Toshiba range (and others) has been around for a while there has not been a real price war yet. Dell and Viewsonic will set that way in motion

eustts
11-08-2002, 04:18 PM
Has any one heard of the expected release date yet? I was thinking it would be around Thanksgiving for the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. :D

GQ19
11-10-2002, 04:13 AM
the fact that the 5400 series will have a model that includes Bluetooth and WiFi (802.11b) support in one machine is reason enough for me to get it.. i currently have a 3955 and was thinking of getting the TDK BluePaq which would allow for me to have Bluetooth built into the sleeve and then a CF WiFi card.. but WHY the bulk if i can just get this model and have it all built in.. with the 128 MB SD Card i already have.. that would make the iPaq EXACTLY what i was lookin for.. i hope the difference between what i get for mine on eBay and a new 5400 is not too great though.. basically i'm hoping this price war goes the way some in this thread have predicted!

eustts
11-13-2002, 06:59 AM
I was reading some other PPC sites today and found what might be the release dates for the 5000 series. I do not know which model it will be.

These dates are for internet and brick & mortar stores....

The possible dates are 11/21,11/22 and 11/30.

eustts
11-14-2002, 08:34 PM
We all know that the release date is now Nov. 18th.