View Full Version : CANADA - PC Phone Wilderness?

Noel
10-18-2002, 02:28 PM
Does anybody (Jason?) have any idea if or when T-Mobile or other PC Phone services may show up in our neck of the woods?
I have been rennovating my dear old iPAQ including new screen, replacement battery - the works - holding on to the promise of a new
phone-enabled device for (what seems like) years!
Anyone? Any news?

8O

Thanks.

Noel

Mike Temporale
10-18-2002, 04:18 PM
I remember reading something from somewhere about Bell Canada signing up to carry the PPC phone.

If you picked up a PPC phone that is unlocked, you could start using it right now on the Fido network (or rogers digital network ). Just drop your sim card into the phone, and away you go. GSM is so cool. 8)

Mike Temporale
10-18-2002, 04:24 PM
Here's what google found about it:

http://www.twomobile.com/content/1289.php

I'm pretty sure there was a posting on this site about it too, but I couldn't find it.

Jason Dunn
10-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Yeah, it's a little grim out here right. Bell Mobility is selling the Thera, but it's $1200 CND I think and isn't a real phone edition device - they did a custom dialler so you don't have the SMS integrated Inbox and other features. If you were able to get a non-SIM locked device, you could use it on the networks here like I'm doing with Fido, but getting a phone like that is very difficult...a few people here have done it, but they took a huge risk in getting the phone from T-Mobile and hoping they'd get it unlocked.

There's no really good solution here yet. :?