View Full Version : T-Mobile in WiFi network deal

Jason Dunn
10-17-2002, 10:45 PM
<a href="http://www.mobilecommerceworld.com/Tmpl/article.asp?CID=1&AID=16632&TCode=NW&PmID=m16632&T1=17/10/2002">http://www.mobilecommerceworld.com/Tmpl/article.asp?CID=1&AID=16632&TCode=NW&PmID=m16632&T1=17/10/2002</a><br /><br />Good news for PDA owners, but it makes me wish I had 802.11b in my XDA. Where's that SD WiFi card when I need it?<br /><br />"T-Mobile is building on its current HotSpot service, which is available in over 1,600 locations across the country. That includes 1,200 Starbucks stores, a number projected to increase to 2,000 stores by 2003. The service enables customers with a wireless-enabled laptop or PDA to access the Internet or Intranet at super fast speeds. T-Mobile is wholly owned by German telco Deutsche Telekom. It made its first move into the wireless LAN sector early this year when it acquired failed wireless ISP MobileStar.<br /><br />The T-Mobile HotSpot service will be available in approximately 400 Borders Books and Music locations beginning in the first quarter of 2003 with Borders stores in California being the first to offer the service." Source: Andrew Farkas

Master O'Mayhem
10-17-2002, 11:04 PM
oo.. i lost my title on the credit? :)

entropy1980
10-17-2002, 11:20 PM
http://www.mobilecommerceworld.com/Tmpl/article.asp?CID=1&AID=16632&TCode=NW&PmID=m16632&T1=17/10/2002

Good news for PDA owners, but it makes me wish I had 802.11b in my XDA. Where's that SD WiFi card when I need it?

I thought XDA was not SDIO? Anyway pretty cool makes me long for a VOIP app and headset for a pocket pc or laptop...

Jason Dunn
10-18-2002, 12:06 AM
I thought XDA was not SDIO? Anyway pretty cool makes me long for a VOIP app and headset for a pocket pc or laptop...

It's not, which makes me even more depressed... :cry:

JonnoB
10-18-2002, 12:43 AM

It's not, which makes me even more depressed... :cry:

I was told that the hardware circuitry in the XDA is SDIO compliant, but the ROM does not yet support it. To see this in action, put an SDIO card into an iPaq, it will do nothing. Put in a memory card and it recognizes it. In an XDA, plug in an SDIO card, it prompts you for a name/driver. This indicates that it recognizes it as a different card than an SD memory card.... something only an SDIO slot can do. Now, for the ROM update to be released!

kagayaki1
10-18-2002, 02:25 AM
Interesting JonnoB...can you cite a source? (wouldn't ask for it except it goes against everything that's been posted thusfar) Thanks!

David C
10-18-2002, 03:22 AM
So what happens when you go to a Starbucks that is next door to a Borders? I herd they all only use ch 1.

JonnoB
10-18-2002, 03:35 AM
Interesting JonnoB...can you cite a source? (wouldn't ask for it except it goes against everything that's been posted thusfar) Thanks!

Source: A little blue fairy that whispered into my ear. Actually, it was a casual conversation I had with some of the MS folks at a recent trade show. The source was not adament, but said it with a wink... I took that to mean that although the current ROM did not support it, the circuitry did and could be a feature enabled in an update.