View Full Version : Streaming Audio/Video ???

KevinDallas
10-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Can anyone give me advice on getting links to Live Streaming Audio and/or Video Webcasts. I have been searching websites for days for the answers.

I have had limited success using my HP Jornada 568. I have Media Player 8 installed and Real One player as well.

At home I connect with a 56K modem and can listen to Virgin Radio (Using Real One) in London, this link fails however when I am at Work on my 802.11 conncection. I like how Real gives you some good links with the software.

I have tried the broadcaster pages directly, like CNN and MSNBC. Their links are for Desktops only and I can't seem to get them to work with my handheld.

Any help or suggestions you have will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

WillyG
10-17-2002, 09:22 PM
I believe there is a "default" favorite in Pocket Internet Explorer called "Windows Media" or somthing like that. Should be both streaming audio and video there. Click on a link there, and mediaplayer pops up and starts playing (after the initial buffering)

KevinDallas
10-17-2002, 09:47 PM
Have you had success with the Default Windows Media Page using a 802.11 connection or just a wired modem??
I cannot get good results with my wireless connection.

Why does the default page still have a picture of Watching Ellie a show that was cancelled months ago?

Is there a source of CURRENT webcast links somewhere to be found??

Kevin

WillyG
10-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Have you had success with the Default Windows Media Page using a 802.11 connection or just a wired modem??
I cannot get good results with my wireless connection.

Why does the default page still have a picture of Watching Ellie a show that was cancelled months ago?

Is there a source of CURRENT webcast links somewhere to be found??

Kevin

I forgot mine at work today so i cant check right now. But as far as i remember i have not streamed successfully using BT (i use bluetooth over internet connection sharing, but it should work the same way regarding this). But I remember for sure I have streamed using a modem (mobile phone).
My guess is that this could be related to NAT-ing. Even if i use BT this should work the same way as 802.11 regarding NAT. If thats your problem too, u will prbably not be able to sign in using messenger either ("hourglass" goes on and on).

Have you tried searching for NAT (Network Adress Translation) in Microsoft knowledge base?

CoreyJF
10-18-2002, 02:43 PM
For audio anyway on the front page there is a disscusion on shoutcast. It seems to be working pretty well. I sat outside last night and streamed decent quality internet radio. Not a huge selection of video streaming sites yet, but it is only a matter of time

dhoward
11-01-2002, 03:20 AM
I'm looking for the same type of sources.

What are the addresses you have tried successfully on the desktops for CNN and MSNBC?

Have you tried the GSPlayer2 download to provide shoutcast playback? It works very well on my ipAQ 3955.

david

PS Anyone have any listing for good URL's for streaming audio?

Kaber
11-04-2002, 09:04 PM
You can watch CSPAN in WMP @ http://www.cspan.org/watch . I know that. Just make sure you select the "Stand Alone Player" link.

I have been having trouble watching streams with realplayer. I think it may have something to do with my firewall but I am not sure and havn't spent time trying to figure it out, but nothing will stream in realplayer for me.

If anyone does find a good portal for streams please post it.

I know I have some more links, I'll edit this post with some more in a bit.

I just found this page with some streaming links for PPC, havn't checked any of the links tho... if anyone investigates, I'd like to know if they find any useful.

http://www.geocities.com/dreadkru/briansturdivant/PDA.html#sm