View Full Version : Wasn't there a forum about PPC's in movies/on TV?

JackTheTripper
10-16-2002, 04:19 PM
Oh well, guess I'll put it here.

Watched CSI Miami on Monday night and noticed that one of the investigators was using an iPaq (not sure which model) to take notes. Funny thing was every time he hit the screen the "beep" or "click" was very noticable like they added it in post-production. Trying to get our attention?

WillyG
10-17-2002, 10:48 PM
Funny thing was every time he hit the screen the "beep" or "click" was very noticable like they added it in post-production. Trying to get our attention?

Thats so typical for the movie industry. :lol: They do it for desktop PC's/Mac's too. Im sure u have noted that every movie-computer "bleeps" for each key depressed on the keyboard or the screen changes, even the most modern ones. The really advanced ones even slows down the output on the screen to readable speed, and make a noice for each letter. Speaking of letters, why does all programs and messageboxes use inch high letters? Then we have the typists....do they never use that space bar? :wink:

spursdude
10-18-2002, 12:58 AM
i was playing around with the options on my pocket pc and did realize that you can get fairly loud beeps with every screen tap. but my main question is who would ever WANT those beeps?

WillyG
10-18-2002, 09:18 AM
i was playing around with the options on my pocket pc and did realize that you can get fairly loud beeps with every screen tap. but my main question is who would ever WANT those beeps?

As a geek (no offence) like me, i find it likely that you want them, im not that sure about your surroundings tho :wink:

fyiguy
10-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Spotted some iPAQ's on this Sunday's Alias I watched lastnight (gotta love ReplayTV). They had some iPAQ's in "rugged cases" as "heat sensing" locators complete with sonar sweep and bullseye...

:D

ironguy
10-18-2002, 04:36 PM
The coroner had an iPaq in Birds of Prey (Wednesday night).

Sorry, no beeps.

Sslixtis
10-22-2002, 08:35 PM
Speaking of PDAs in TV, on Without a Trace they always say of the missing person " they even left their Palm Pilot". In the Pilot episode they said that the woman had left her purse, keys and Palm Pilot then gave a shot of the table where these items were and the Palm Pilot in question was actually an HP Jornada 56x series! Guess if it's a PDA it's a Palm Pilot to them. Kinda like an adhesive bandage is a Band-Aid. Looks like the TV industry is going to be calling PDAs Palm Pilots, no matter what they actually are.

Still waiting for the first person to actually say Pocket PC, when someone calls it a Palm Pilot and explain the differences to the offending person :lol: No one at work calls my PPC a Palm Pilot anymore, they have all had the PPC lecture enough now, actually I only have one co-worker left that has a Palm the rest have made the switch to PPC :twisted:

JackTheTripper
10-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Speaking of PDAs in TV, on Without a Trace they always say of the missing person " they even left their Palm Pilot". In the Pilot episode they said that the woman had left her purse, keys and Palm Pilot then gave a shot of the table where these items were and the Palm Pilot in question was actually an HP Jornada 56x series! Guess if it's a PDA it's a Palm Pilot to them. Kinda like an adhesive bandage is a Band-Aid. Looks like the TV industry is going to be calling PDAs Palm Pilots, no matter what they actually are.

Still waiting for the first person to actually say Pocket PC, when someone calls it a Palm Pilot and explain the differences to the offending person :lol: No one at work calls my PPC a Palm Pilot anymore, they have all had the PPC lecture enough now, actually I only have one co-worker left that has a Palm the rest have made the switch to PPC :twisted:

It will be interesting. Palm really revolutionized the electronic organizer. They may forever be known as "Palm Pilots." Think about this. How many times have you "Xeroxed" something on a Canon photocopier or used a "Kleenex" made by Scott or used a Microsoft picture editing program to "Photoshop" something?

Someone could really offend you by calling your PPC a Newton. :P

ctmagnus
09-10-2003, 04:55 AM
Last season's 24 had a few also. A casio or Jornada (can't remember which, it went down with the plane carrying the bomb) something-or-other and an Audiovox Thera.

ctmagnus
09-10-2003, 07:16 AM
On tonight's (9-9-03) Conan (http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O'Brien/index.html) (John Cusack, Regina Hall, The White Stripes) Conan's "agent" had what appeared to be a 19xx series, only he referred to it as a Palm Pilot.

nice_micael
09-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Last season's 24 had a few also. A casio or Jornada (can't remember which, it went down with the plane carrying the bomb) something-or-other and an Audiovox Thera.

Ha i remember that one!!! 8) I just remeber something with handspring wisor 8don't know wich model)

delfuhd
09-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Don't forget 'Sum of All Fears' w/ Morgan freeman and Ben Affleck. Ben uses a Casio E-something throughout the movie, and manages to type full sentences within a time frame of about 3 seconds. I need his secrets.. haha. Not to mention he randomly always had wireless access to government 'chat programs,' not to mention it didn't show him setting up the network, also without a mention of a wifi card or anything in the CF slot... Hmmmmmm.......

Ah, yes, and The Medallion, the new show wtih Jackie Chan, where he uses a Sony Clie to guide him and his faithful lady-friend through the mountains of Dublin on a motorcycle with his GPS.

oh well what can ya do, ya know....