View Full Version : AmbiCom 802.11b e550G CF WIFI Card Blues

apeguero
10-16-2002, 05:31 AM
Hi,

I got the Ambicom 802.11b wireless CF card (model WL1100C-CF) with my Genio e550g when I bought it from CompUSA a couple of months back, you know the free one :)

Anyway, it had been working fine up until recently when it just won't connect to my Linksys Wireless Router AP. Well, it does connect since I get a Connected To place, AP MAC address, etc, but when I click on IP Status all I get is a MAC Address. I don't get the IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DHCP Server. I get all of this from my other PC on the WIFI net using a Linksys PCI WIFI card.

Problem is when I insert the card in the CF slot I get the following Pocket PC Networking message:

"Unable to obtain a server-assigned IP address. Try again later or enter an IP address in Network settings."

I can't surf or anything. I've checked the config on the card and I have it set to Infrastructure Network mode, I've entered the SSID since I don't broadcast it from within the router, I've set the link Rate to Auto and have checked off the "Use Server-Assigned IP Address". I've disabled the WEP Encryption.

I've also loaded up the latest drivers from Ambicom's website for this and my Windows XP Pro System.

After doing all of this it still won't connect :? :roll: :roll: :twisted: :?:

Please let me know if you've had these problems too. I tried e-mailing this company's support but haven't heard back from them.

Thanks.

Steven Cedrone
10-16-2002, 01:55 PM
As a test, have you tried to use a static IP address?

Steve

apeguero
10-16-2002, 03:32 PM
How do I use Static IP?

wseto
10-18-2002, 12:11 AM
I've got the B version of the Ambicom CF WiFi card, an Ipaq 3150 and a Dlink-614+ router/access point.

The combo worked great until I decided to turn off SSID broadcast on the access point.... then my ambicom card would not connect even when I typed in the correct SSID manually.

So, you may just try turning the SSID broadcast on to see if the ambicom card will connect...

Wilson

Steven Cedrone
10-18-2002, 07:28 AM
How do I use Static IP?

Apequero,

Sorry for not replying, before we get into static IP addressing, lets try wseto's suggestion. Might be alot easier :wink:

Give it a shot and let us know how you make out...

Steve

ArchiMark
10-30-2002, 03:01 AM
:D Have you called Ambicom tech support?

I did and the fellow who helped me was extremely helpful. He even called me later to make sure that I was doing OK!

That's great service to me!

Mark

Jorj Bauer
10-30-2002, 04:20 AM
The combo worked great until I decided to turn off SSID broadcast on the access point.... then my ambicom card would not connect even when I typed in the correct SSID manually.

Another common problem with many of the cheap base stations is firmware compatability. Linksys in particular has had problems connecting to various vendors' cards, and have fixed the problem with newer firmware revisions. I've seen this problem manifest itself exactly as you describe.

Try upgrading the firmware on your Linksys router.