View Full Version : Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse are Coming

Jason Dunn
10-16-2002, 12:48 AM
<a href="http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,105945,00.asp">http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,105945,00.asp</a><br /><br />It's finally been announced! The Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo will be hitting store shelves in November. The Bluetooth "hub" will have a range of 30 feet, and they keyboard and mouse combo will sell for $159. Not bad! The more advanced mouse will sell for $84.95, though without seeing any photos it's hard to tell what it will offer. I'm assuming that it will have buttons on the side like other advanced Microsoft mouse products. I find them so essential it's almost a shame to sell a mouse without them. :? <br /><br />I'm looking forward to this product being released for one simple reason: I think it brings a legitimacy to Bluetooth that thus far it has lacked in the computing world. <!> Microsoft is big enough to bring legitimacy to a standard (although Microsoft's involvement doesn't guarantee success by any means). I know that for many of you, Bluetooth works perfectly and you found it easy to set up. But for myself, and for many others based on what I've read, it wasn't so easy. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005RZP2/jasondunn-20">Socket Bluetooth products</a> are really well done, but not all drivers and wizards are created equally - I found Anycom's Bluetooth CF card to utterly be confusing. One of the things that Microsoft is good at is designing a solid user interface and making things easy to use. Some of you may not agree, but trust me, compared to what I've seen from some Bluetooth vendors, anything that Microsoft does will be light years beyond what we have now. Right now I don't use Bluetooth in any way, because I've been waiting for this exact event to occur - a major player like Microsoft to step in and make Bluetooth actually <i><b>WORK </b></i>for the average person. The concept and the spec may be solid, but the implementations I've seen so far have not been. I'm hoping Microsoft is going to get this one right.<br /><br />I'm excited, but a little leery too - the first Microsoft wireless product I bought was the rather expensive <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse/wie_info.asp">Wireless Intellimouse Explorer</a>, and it wasn't very impressive. The response time was poor (you'd have to shake the mouse back and forth to make your cursor "live again"), and the accuracy of the tracking left a lot to be desired. I tried repositioning the receiver several times, but it didn't help. I found it odd that my wireless Logitech mouse that was nearly five years old functioned better than this new Microsoft product. I'm generally a big fan of Microsoft hardware (I only use Microsoft keyboards and mice), so I hope that they've put some quality into their first Bluetooth product.<br /><br />So what are your thoughts on this? Will Microsoft's offering be enough to make you take the plunge to Bluetooth if you haven't already? If you're already using Bluetooth, will this be a "must have" for you? Cast your vote in the survey.

CoreyJF
10-16-2002, 01:13 AM
wopld you beable to use it witha bluetooth enabled pocketpc?

kagayaki1
10-16-2002, 01:31 AM
it's likely that MS could choose to make compatibility with their BT mouse and keyboard a feature for PPC, but whether they will or not remains to be seen. I think with a slough of vendor coming up with BT built in or as an optional card package (Dell), it could gain support. Look for 2 years out, if it takes off.

Otherwise, we might see some very creative person write their own program...

kagayaki1
10-16-2002, 01:32 AM
The more advanced mouse will sell for $84.95, though without seeing any photos it's hard to tell what it will offer.

Did the FCC pictures from a couple months ago help to clear this up? I'll see if I can find them again...

Ed Hansberry
10-16-2002, 01:35 AM
Not sure why I would want a keyboard that can be used 30 ft away from the computer. I've never cared about the cable. The keyboard just doesn't move that much.

Gimme a BT printer, or better yet, a WiFi printer that just works. :twisted:

I like bt with my PPC and T68, but basic computer attachments? And at that price? Gimme a $40 keyboard and a decent optical mouse.

JonnoB
10-16-2002, 01:40 AM
The Windows XP designed for the family room (I think it was called the media edition) will be a good area of use for this type of technology.

Mr. Anonymous
10-16-2002, 01:40 AM
Will you have to bond your keyboard and mouse to the bluetooth access point? Will we see bluetooth war chalking? :)

Seriously though, I hope the bluetooth mouse has a higher refresh rate than the older style wireless mice. I bought a wireless mouse and keyboard from logitech and while I did like it, the refresh rate was that of a serial mouse and totally unsuitable for playing Unreal Tournament 2003 and the like.

One more thing...LOVE that poll animation on the front page ;)

Duncan
10-16-2002, 02:06 AM
Ed,

There is a BT printer - the HP 995c - and it works very well! You need to put no more thought into it than you would normally for printing.

mcsouth
10-16-2002, 02:14 AM
Gee, is this the same Microsoft that left out Bluetooth support in the initial release of Windows XP? ;)

I agree that this does seem to provide a certain legitimacy to Bluetooth, but the day to day benefit just doesn't seem to be there yet. I also agree that being able to use your keyboard 30' away from your PC isn't overly practical - that's one cord that I hardly ever notice anyways. Also, what about USB ports on the keyboard?

Bluetooth is certainly an interesting concept, but it is still too soon to tell if this will ever take off, or just be a curiosity for future historians, at least IMO.

kfluet
10-16-2002, 02:16 AM
I don't think the legitimacy of BT really has much to do with Redmond choosing to use it or not. If MS doesn't build it into their OSes (CE, XP), there are 3rd party drivers out there from the likes of Widcomm, which is what we have now. USB, for example, was very legitimate before MS finally put proper USB support into their OSes.

I think legitimacy can ONLY be counted by looking at the device manufacturers who are building it into their phones, printers, cameras, GPS devices, etc. Based on the proliferation of BT phones and other peripherals being readily available, I'd say that BT is unquestionably legitimate at this time, and that it is here to stay.

No arguements about a BT mouse being cool, but as for the keyboard, is a full size keyboard doing BT (or wireless in general, really) all that useful? It saves you from seeing a foot or two of cable on your desk. Unlike a mouse, you don't _move_ your keyboard all that much. You aren't going to take your BT keyboard into another room to use it where you can't see what you are typing. You aren't going to lug around a huge BT keyboard so you can type SMS messages on your phone with it. And then there is that whole annoying battery issue.

Where BT really shines, and where it is intended, is in situations where the cable isn't _always_ plugged in, like having your cell phone in your briefcase and not having to pull it out and fiddle with cables or line up fussy IRDA ports so you can check your email with your laptop/pda.

As far as using the MS keyboard with, say, an iPAQ goes, I don't think there is currently any "keyboard" profile built into the iPAQ BT driver, or any BT driver I have run across, actually. Someone willing to write a keyboard driver for it might be able to fuss around with the virtual BT serial port stuff and get something working.

Jonathon Watkins
10-16-2002, 02:28 AM
Hmmmm - shame it's not a class 1 device (up to 300 foot). Then it could be be used as a hub for networking the whole house. I would rather use a PPC with BT than Wifi - less battery drain and more secure (for the moment).

Lets see the reviews. I'm not crazy about the 2 bateries required for each device though. :?

DerekTheGeek
10-16-2002, 03:36 AM
&lt;RANT mode="Gentle Scolding" spelling="Low Priority">
I keep hearing people rant on and on about Bluetooth and the fact that it has not matured and is not ready for prime time. For the life of me I can't understand why. Bluetooth works great. I have used Bluetooth for what it was designed for since the iPaq 3870 was released. I have an Ericsson r520m with Bluetooth, an iPaq 3970, and a Motorola Bluetooth Headset. Three different manufacturers and they work fine together using Bluetooth connections. I leave Bluetooth activated on my phone at all times and just turn it on the iPaq when I want to access the Internet (HTTP or POP3). The headset is totally hands free and I have yet to have a problem.
In all fairness Bluetooth does just what it is supposed to do. It replaces the need for cables. If the fault lies anywhere it is with the manufacturers charging big bucks for a chip that costs under $40.
&lt;/RANT>

adamz
10-16-2002, 03:45 AM
http://web01.microsoft.se/portfolio/browse.asp?Folder=/Latest%20Product%20Box%20Shots/Wireless%20IntelliMouse%20Explorer%20for%20Bluetooth

Here's some pictures.

http://web01.microsoft.se/portfolio/Latest%20Product%20Box%20Shots/Wireless%20IntelliMouse%20Explorer%20for%20Bluetooth/Packaging/X088764703fr.jpg

http://www.bunnios.com/~charly/BTdongel.jpg

There's also a review here:
http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/keyboards/ms/bluetoothdesktop/index.shtml

JMountford
10-16-2002, 03:51 AM
MS Bluetooth Natural Keyboard (http://web01.microsoft.se/portfolio/Latest%20Product%20Box%20Shots/Wireless%20Optical%20Desktop%20Pro/Photography/JPG_SMALL%20(for%20online)/WODP_enviro.jpg)

Here is a picture from The MS Site of the MS BT Natural Keyboard.

I am baffled and somewhat amused Jason that it would take MS's stamp on something to make it legitimate to you. I just shake my head. While I am looking forward to this keyboard and mouse, it is for one reason and on reason only.. I am techy. I like gadgets and gizmos. I like toys.

I do not really think BT has b=come in to it's own yet. There are too many manufacturers affraid to try to adapt to a new technology. I remember years ago looking at the Nokia site seeing there vision for BT. People on a ship communicating wirelessly, sending pictures, knowing exactly what was going on elsewhere on the boat. I was in awe of what could be. I am somewhat dubious as to whether this vision will ever come to fruition. I doubt it. Even Nokia it's self seams slow to use this technology. BT will not be here untill it gets here! That simple, and I know people use it and love and all, but how many devices out there have it. How many pipe dreams and how much vapor ware will never see the light of day?

Hmmm makes ya wonder.

Jonathon Watkins
10-16-2002, 04:11 AM
Now that looks really nice - I really like the deep blue, silver and black. Still not sure about those AAs though – rechargeable batteries are a pain. :?

adamz
10-16-2002, 04:11 AM
Now when are we going to be able to recharge batteries via bluetooth? :) haha!
I don't really want to be having to change batteries in the mouse 'n keyboard.

Jeff Rutledge
10-16-2002, 04:18 AM
OK, I must admit I don't get the appeal of wireless keyboards and mice. I can see the value when used with a "home media" setup or even in a home office with a large screen.

But what I don't understand is this: Why hasn't anyone come out with a wireless keyboard+mouse in one? I picture wireless use of this kind to go with casual surfing, in a relaxed position. In those situations, I just want one device that I can put on my lap.

Is this just me?

Newsboy
10-16-2002, 04:35 AM
I just picked up a MS Blue Wireless Optical Intellimouse Explorer for $30. After 6 weeks, I like it! Well worth the money, and it's nice to be able to put my feet on the desk, put the mouse on my lap, and surf the web. Now if only I could hold a flat monitor in my lap, and use transcriber on it. :)

On that note...I've had a whole host of PDAs (waaaaay back to the HP100LX!), and I *finally* setup Transcriber to recognize characters the way *I* write them. If you haven't done it yet, take the ten minutes! Works wonders!

igreen
10-16-2002, 05:06 AM
I don't think that a keyboard or mouse will provide legitimacy for Bluetooth. I think the digital camera vendors will do more for Bluetooth as we start to see them emerge.

programcsharp
10-16-2002, 05:09 AM
No arguements about a BT mouse being cool, but as for the keyboard, is a full size keyboard doing BT (or wireless in general, really) all that useful? It saves you from seeing a foot or two of cable on your desk. Unlike a mouse, you don't _move_ your keyboard all that much. You aren't going to take your BT keyboard into another room to use it where you can't see what you are typing. You aren't going to lug around a huge BT keyboard so you can type SMS messages on your phone with it. And then there is that whole annoying battery issue.
The biggest problem with the keyboard is the way they messed up the standard keyboard layout. They did this with the Natural Keyboard Elite and it made the keyboard almost unuseable. Reach for copy or paste and you end up hitting other keys. :evil: Try and use the arrow keys and you go the opposite direction you intended. Other than that, the BT desktop is cool. It's a lot better than the other wireless technologies out there. Besides, when you kick back and watch a DVD, you can bring your keyboard with you :D.

Foo Fighter
10-16-2002, 05:27 AM
This is going to sound a little crazy, but one reason why I don't trust BT keyboards and mice is the potential hidden health risks. I'm afraid all these radio signals eminating through my hand(s) could, possibly, be a cause for cancer. I know...I know it sounds paranoid, but did anyone ever think their cell phone might be killing them? You never know. :?

SassKwatch
10-16-2002, 05:57 AM
Other than the prospect of providing some legitimacy to BT (which, IMO, it desparately needs), I'm not sure I see the point of this device.

Yeah, it's great that you can use a keyboard/mouse 30' away from the pc, but who the heck would? I mean, unless you've got XRay vision, who's gonna be able to see the monitor that far away.(?)

I've been using the Logitech 'wireless' keyboard/mouse combo for a couple yr and though it works fine, the only real advant is it's two less cables I have to worry about my clumsy self accidentally ripping out of the back of the pc when I make those all too rare attempts to clean off the desk. "Wait, there's a mouse around here somewhere...oh drat, where'd I put that CF Wifi card this time...checkbook? uhhh...., I *think* that's on this side") :)

Rob Alexander
10-16-2002, 06:03 AM
OK, I must admit I don't get the appeal of wireless keyboards and mice. I can see the value when used with a "home media" setup or even in a home office with a large screen.

I can only speak for myself, but here's why I have a wireless keyboard and mouse at home and a wireless mouse at work.

At home, I have a full-sized tower that sits on the floor to the left of a large desk. By the time the keyboard reached where it needed to, there was absolutely no extra cable left. In addition, the wire threaded past several other things on my desk and it was a pain whenever I wanted to set the keyboard aside and use the desk as... well, a desk. The mouse had plenty of slack, but that was the problem itself. The cord always wanted to pull on the mouse when I used it. I used to do things like using an acco clip to hold some slack in the mouse as the pull against me was irritating.

Now I'm using wireless and there are pros and cons. The pros are that it did solve those problems. It's really nice to be able to rearrange those items easily without fighting the wires. On the rare occasions when I get to play a space sim game, it's also nice to be able to put my joystick in the middle and arrange the keyboard and mouse around it. I never could do that before. The cons are that 1) I'm not that wild about that particular Logitech keyboard. It has nothing to do with being wireless; I just don't care for the set up (in hindsight), 2) the mouse has some hesitation when you first start moving it and that's a bit disconcerting, and 3) even though the batteries do last the time they say they do, it still *feels* like you're always replacing the batteries.

At work, my desk is covered with lots of papers, reports, etc. and they were always laying on top of the mouse cable. Then I'd go to use the mouse and it would be caught under this stuff. The cordless mouse (MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer) solves that problem nicely.

BTW, I displike the Logitech keyboard and mouse (each for its own peculiarities), but I love the MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. The only fault with it is the same latency thing when you start to move it. I know it's just saving battery life, but it's irritating.

So it's certainly not perfect yet, but there are reasons. Whether the pros outweight the cons yet is just a personal thing. For me they do, but just barely.

Janak Parekh
10-16-2002, 06:03 AM
This is going to sound a little crazy, but one reason why I don't trust BT keyboards and mice is the potential hidden health risks. I'm afraid all these radio signals eminating through my hand(s) could, possibly, be a cause for cancer. I know...I know it sounds paranoid, but did anyone ever think their cell phone might be killing them? You never know. :?
Um, you do realize that this actually is much more similar to 2.4GHz cordless phones? And that you're wallowing in these signals anywhere you go? I had a customer who was fearful of WLAN's, but in that perspective one realizes that it's not so easily avoidable, and the health risks are not nearly so obviously pinpointable.

Moreover, cell phones are not the same situation. Most BT devices are far from your head, and attenuation with distance is quite substantial. Now, I keep my BT devices in my pockets... hope I'm not affecting something else 8O :wink:

--bdj

Janak Parekh
10-16-2002, 06:05 AM
You could get wireless power - but you'll be fried if you stand in the middle of the radiation - literally. 8O

In short: it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

--bdj

Janak Parekh
10-16-2002, 06:07 AM
Gee, is this the same Microsoft that left out Bluetooth support in the initial release of Windows XP? ;)
Actually, MS is set to release a update to XP by the time these guys hit the market: http://news.com.com/2100-1040-962116.html

I think by consumerizing the products and having tangible, end-user solutions that people use everyday, plus the XP support as mentioned above, will be huge for BT adoption. Unfortunately, it looks like ActiveSync is becoming an integral part of the XP BT implementation :!:

--bdj

Dave Beauvais
10-16-2002, 06:12 AM
The biggest problem with the keyboard is the way they messed up the standard keyboard layout. ...
Sorry to get off the Bluetooth topic, but I couldn't agree more. I still use one of the original Natural Keyboards from late in 1993 when they were first released. It's still going strong and is the best keyboard I have ever used, by far. That said, at my last job I used a Natural Keyboard Pro, the version Microsoft released after the brain-dead, cramped, poorly-designed Elite. (Did I mention I hate that keyboard?) I really liked the Pro and would gladly use one when this keyboard finally dies. When I saw the new keyboards and the key layout on them, I had instant flashbacks to the Elite keyboard and all the frustration I had when trying to touch-type on it. My fingers instinctively went to where a key should be only land on either an empty space or the wrong key. Once I saw these new keyboards I went shopping to pick up a Natural Keyboard Pro while I still could. I can't find them anywhere! None at Amazon, none at Buy.com, and none at any local stores. Plenty of new MS keyboards, but no Pros. :evil:

--Dave

numb
10-16-2002, 10:02 AM
does anyone know if these will this work with any Bluetooth USB Adapter (eg the belkin one I have), or do you have to use the MS one? (I wonder if it will even be for sale without the transceiver?)

mobileMike
10-16-2002, 10:52 AM
I doubt these will work with any Bluetooth adaptor. I mean they should be able to but I bet the Intelli... software on the desktop will look for this device. Same as the Nokia PC Suite looks for either a Nokia or Socket Communication's bluetooth card. We will see though. Of course I hope it does. I have a 3Com Bluetooth USB adaptor. If I must use Microsoft's adaptor, I wonder if it support ActiveSync and LAN Access Profile?

This product will not provide legitimacy to Bluetooth. That was done when you could connect your PocketPC to your cell phone. This just adds to a cake which is already half eaten. (You can never have too much cake or Bluetooth devices).

I am disappointed that the mouse is not rechargeable (with included base for storing/charging).

I can't wait for this or similar devices from Logitech (you know they are working on it). My kids keep kicking the mouse and keyboard cables causing them to periodically unplug. I have also been thinking of building a home entertainment PC (Music/DVD/Games/Photo Album/etc.). This adds to the possibilites.

/ mike

Ravenswing
10-16-2002, 11:04 AM
I can't take part in your pole, I don't like any of the answers.

I already use BT as a cable replacement between iPAQ and phone. It works fine and I don't think I need Microsoft to legitimise it.

That said, I might look at this keyboard & mouse combo because we need new ones anyway and if it gives the added advantage of BT sync between my iPAQ and PC, that might be useful. Cost sounds way too much, however.

WillyG
10-16-2002, 01:28 PM
The first Microsoft wireless product I bought was the rather expensive Wireless Intellimouse Explorer, and it wasn't very impressive. The response time was poor (you'd have to shake the mouse back and forth to make your cursor "live again")...

The only fault with it is the same latency thing when you start to move it. I know it's just saving battery life, but it's irritating.

Couldnt agree more. I got the Wireless Intelimouse Explorer too, it was completely unusable. Trying to do somthing clever in ie Photoshop with this mouse was completely impossible. "Just a tiny lill adjustement here, and im done" *click - drag* "grr no reaction" *plopp - mega movement* "damn way to much" *undo - click - drag - plopp* "argh!"

While i like the look and feel of the mouse, this alone was enough for me to put this mouse in the junk drawer and plug that trusty intellimouse explorer (the silver wired one) in again.

But i miss both the ergonometrics and the wireless part of the other one.
The wired one has a tendency to tangle itself into the cables to my Pocket PC dockingstation, and telephone cord.
Wich in turn results in that both the telephone, docking station and the mouse follow the phone up, and smack me in the face when i pick up the telephone receiver to answer it.

WillyG
10-16-2002, 02:00 PM
I'm generally a big fan of Microsoft hardware (I only use Microsoft keyboards and mice), so I hope that they've put some quality into their first Bluetooth product.

I am baffled and somewhat amused Jason that it would take MS's stamp on something to make it legitimate to you. I just shake my head.

Im just the same :oops: , my friends are confronting me with my Microsoft mania. "If there was Microsoft clothes or Microsoft cars, you would have bought them."
I dont know what it is; Maby im a collector, maby i believe in quality, perhaps its the packaging :lol:
At home i have the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, Microsoft wireless Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft SideWinder force feedback joystick, Microsoft Strategic Commander and Microsoft Game Voice. Is there somthing wrong with me? :wink:

Im definately going to buy this when its out. Both because of its a Microsoft product, and because of the bluetooth capabilities (owining a LOOX and Nokia 6310i with bluetooth)

fyiguy
10-16-2002, 02:00 PM
I think it would be pretty cool to use a full sized keyboard and mouse ( of course you would need a third party utility to view the mouse pointer like the one made by Detlef Jenett to read more about it go here (http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=743)) and have drivers for the PocketPC as well. Granted they aren't really mobile,but if they are available in the office/home why not use them to ease data entry??

To see see some more pictures on the mice and keyboards offered by Microsoft , go here (http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=700) these were in a MS press release back in Sept.

don dre
10-16-2002, 02:16 PM
What we all need to justify this purchase
(or just make it truly useful) is not X-Ray vision but 42" plasma monitor so we can comfortably work on our computers from our couch across the room.

splintercell
10-16-2002, 02:38 PM
You could get wireless power - but you'll be fried if you stand in the middle of the radiation - literally. 8O

In short: it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

--bdj

Maybe sooner than you think:
http://www.mobilewise.com/

That's the sort of technology that a BT keyboard/mouse system should incorporate - when not in use, put it on a charging pad (or just the desk, if it's built in), and let it refuel.

FredMurphy
10-16-2002, 03:42 PM
I've got to agree that the response from the "standard" Wireless Intellimouse Explorer is pretty poor. If you use rechargable AA batteries with it it complains about low batteries even sooner!

If the Bluetooth version was any better (and I could use it with my existing TDK BT card) I'd consider replacing it. The TDK card is constantly plugged in to sync with my Jornada and T68 and I really don't need another receiver plugged in.

...but it DOES work pretty well with a 42" plasma screen when you're watching DVDs from the sofa and control PowerDVD using the wireless mouse. :D

Jason Dunn
10-16-2002, 04:24 PM
MS Bluetooth Natural Keyboard (http://web01.microsoft.se/portfolio/Latest%20Product%20Box%20Shots/Wireless%20Optical%20Desktop%20Pro/Photography/JPG_SMALL%20(for%20online)/WODP_enviro.jpg)

Are you sure about that? That's an RF unit on the desk in the picture, and neither the mouse nor the keyboard is blue. I'm pretty sure that's their wireless model released a few months ago...

Jason Dunn
10-16-2002, 04:26 PM
But what I don't understand is this: Why hasn't anyone come out with a wireless keyboard+mouse in one?

I had an IR based mini keyboard that had a mouse pointing stick similar to a laptop (but larger). It worked fairly well - I can't remember the brand name, but it was designed for exactly the scenarios you mentioned.

nosaturn
10-16-2002, 06:10 PM
[quote="Newsboy"]I just picked up a MS Blue Wireless Optical Intellimouse Explorer for $30. After 6 weeks, I like it! Well worth the money, and it's nice to be able to put my feet on the desk, put the mouse on my lap, and surf the web. Now if only I could hold a flat monitor in my lap, and use transcriber on it. :)
[quote]

Sounds like Smart Display to me. does everything your talking about and more.... coming very early next year.

sweetpete
10-16-2002, 06:51 PM

That is not the BT Natural keyboard. It is the wireless version, thought the BT version will have the same layout, but different colour.

sweetpete
10-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Actually, MS is set to release a update to XP by the time these guys hit the market: http://news.com.com/2100-1040-962116.html

I think by consumerizing the products and having tangible, end-user solutions that people use everyday, plus the XP support as mentioned above, will be huge for BT adoption. Unfortunately, it looks like ActiveSync is becoming an integral part of the XP BT implementation :!:

--bdj

I don't think you read the article correctly. I believe they are saying that they are surprised MS didn't tie in the BT implementation to their own ActiveSync technology. Another key point is the lack of profiles for the BT implementation.
I would like to see at least a PAN profile for networking added. I'm also not sure if they have a serial port type profile (dunno the proper name), so you could use it for ActiveSync with the 3870/3970 and other BT PPC's. Anyone have more info on that? :?:

beyondallcom
10-16-2002, 08:39 PM
http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/keyboards/ms/bluetoothdesktop/index.shtml

There is a review.

Regards,
Kevin

Newsboy
10-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Couldnt agree more. I got the Wireless Intelimouse Explorer too, it was completely unusable.

Now that I'm done laughing at the idea of your desktop flying up at your face when you answer the phone...are you guys complaining about the wheel based wireless mouse? Or the optical wireless mouse? B/C I've got the "Blue" (oooh, ahhh...yeah right, whatever) wireless optical mouse from MS, and it seems to be fine for me.

Newsboy
10-16-2002, 09:08 PM
I just picked up a MS Blue Wireless Optical Intellimouse Explorer for $30. After 6 weeks, I like it! Well worth the money, and it's nice to be able to put my feet on the desk, put the mouse on my lap, and surf the web. Now if only I could hold a flat monitor in my lap, and use transcriber on it. :)

Sounds like Smart Display to me. does everything your talking about and more.... coming very early next year.

The closest thing I've seen, and I'm tempted to spend the $1350 US for one, is the Sony VAIO Slimtop at J & R Computer World. Has a touch screen with an interactive RF-based stylus, and a pressure-sensitive tip. It allows one to do things on the LCD screen that you would never be able to do otherwise. I'm no artist (engineer actually!), but that thing was great! You can doodle on the screen, and produce REAL art, not something with a mouse! Imagine the PhotoShop possibilities!

If you haven't seen one yet, and have a Circuit City nearby, go check it out. Runs about $2400 there though, with only a 1 ghz PIII processor.

Jne
10-16-2002, 09:51 PM
Hello,

as I spotted @ http://wirelessaddict.net/ the MS BT Keybd & Mouse is now officially BT qualified... and the bt.org site has a nice PDF with photos, ...
My guess is ActiveWin has never touched it yet :lol: (see pseudo screen caps, photos, ... as compared to the pdf document...)

Jonathon Watkins
10-16-2002, 10:14 PM
Hello,

as I spotted @ http://wirelessaddict.net/ the MS BT Keybd & Mouse is now officially BT qualified... and the bt.org site has a nice PDF with photos, ...
My guess is ActiveWin has never touched it yet :lol: (see pseudo screen caps, photos, ... as compared to the pdf document...)

Hmmm - now you mention it there was certain.... lack of something in the 'review'. Still - that's a serious allegation to make. :? You would have to be really stupid to make up a review like that – still………

Janak Parekh
10-16-2002, 10:16 PM
I don't think you read the article correctly. I believe they are saying that they are surprised MS didn't tie in the BT implementation to their own ActiveSync technology. Another key point is the lack of profiles for the BT implementation.
I would like to see at least a PAN profile for networking added. I'm also not sure if they have a serial port type profile (dunno the proper name), so you could use it for ActiveSync with the 3870/3970 and other BT PPC's. Anyone have more info on that? :?:
No, I think I did read it correctly. According to other articles around today, it appears as if MS deliberately left out the standard Bluetooth sync and related PAN profiles, opting instead only to support ActiveSync over Bluetooth as the sync/pan solution. Compare that to Apple's iSync (or whatever it's called) technology which supports the sync profile.

I'm sure we'll get more details soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if MS is trying to promulgate ActiveSync as a standard. However, it would be nicer if MS opened up the standard and fixed some of its endemic problems first.

--bdj