View Full Version : Trying to figure out Activesync w/802.11b

easberry
10-15-2002, 12:52 AM
Howdy all...

I'm new to the PocketPC world, as a former Palm and Visor user. I was quite impressed with the capabilities of the e740 with integrated wifi etc, so I bought one.

One thing that has been frustrating to me is trying to get Activesync to work over the integrated wifi. I'm was able to use Activesync with the USB cradle, which I understand is a needed first step. I'm also able to surf the internet via the 802.11b. I can ping the silly thing's IP address from my desktop. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it Activesync over the 802.11b

I found an article on Microsoft's site that talked about how wonderful and simple it was ... apparently the author was using an IPAQ. She talked about running Activesync and telling it which connection to used ... but I don't get any choice like that.

I have the server name set to my desktop's IP. (I've also tried setting it to the NETBIOS name, seems to make no difference).

I'm not sure whether I should have the "include PC when synchronizing remote and connect to:" box checked or not. If I have it checked with the server name set to my desktop PC's NETBIOS name, when I hit "sync" I get a popup error "Trouble Connecting: Unable to connect with current settings ... To change your connection settings, tap settings". But this seems to just take me to my network settings which seem OK.

If I don't check the box, I get a different error. (not a popup though). It says "Synchronization failed. If the problem continues, contact your network administrator. Error code: 0x80090305"

I've tried searching Toshiba's site, google, microsoft, newsgroups and can't seem to find anybody having the same problem. I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, because I'm just not as familiar with the windows environment on a handheld.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

David McNamee
10-15-2002, 03:08 AM
I'm not sure whether I should have the "include PC when synchronizing remote and connect to:" box checked or not.

Yes, you should.

Can you ping the PC using the NETBIOS name, or just the IP address? If you can't ping the NETBIOS name, might be a problem with host name resolution.

Also, I apparently need to have all of my network connections set to "Work," for anything to work properly. I don't know why - I've just come to accept it.

HTH

easberry
10-15-2002, 03:30 AM
I wasn't sure how to ping FROM my ppc ... I didn't see ping in there anywhere ... All I know is I could ping my ppc from my XP box.

But wonder of wonders, I tried changing both of my connections to work and voila ... it works now! Ain't that bizarre? Well, I'm happy. Thanks a lot! I've been trying to figure this out for hours and hours now! :)

Eric

Steven Cedrone
10-15-2002, 04:37 AM
Ping utility (vxUtil) available at: http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html

Steve

JonnoB
10-15-2002, 04:55 AM
If you have difficulty resolving the host name of your desktop PC, then you can use something like pockethost which does the equivilant of making a local hosts file in your PPC. There is a link to it somewhere in this forum.

Steven Cedrone
10-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Pockethosts is available here at Marc Zimmermann's Pocket PC & Handheld PC Software page: http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm

Steve