View Full Version : Pocket PC + Cell Phone = Internet?

Elad Yakobowicz
10-12-2002, 09:40 PM
I'm a little new to this and have never tried it before. Thanks to my T68 cell phone, I'm ready to connect to the internet via my PPC, however I don't know how to go about doing that. Where do I begin? My ISP is Optimum Online, but I'm also an AOL subscriber, so I assume I would have to buy and install their PPC software in order to use their service. Anyone have any suggestions, or a link to some type of tutorial?

bdeli
10-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Elad, I do not know what ppc you are using, but here is a pdf file explaining how to connect your iPAQ 38xx with a T68 -

http://www.ipaqsoft.net/pdf/T68-H3870-BT%20Jacket-Configuration%20guide.pdf

As for AOL, if I am not mistaken they only support email via a wireless connection - http://www.aol.com/anywhere/pda/

You would also need to have GPRS access from your cell phone company to be able to do all this.

CoffeeKid
10-12-2002, 10:51 PM
I'm a little new to this and have never tried it before. Thanks to my T68 cell phone, I'm ready to connect to the internet via my PPC, however I don't know how to go about doing that. Where do I begin? My ISP is Optimum Online, but I'm also an AOL subscriber, so I assume I would have to buy and install their PPC software in order to use their service. Anyone have any suggestions, or a link to some type of tutorial?

If you check out http://www.howardforums.com/ you'll find tons of how tos by owners of phones resolving connectivity issues with different phones / pdas / notebooks.

Thanks to those forums, I was able to get my Motorola P280 phone communicating with my iBook, when Motorola tried to pretend the Mac didn't exist... people took the time and effort to hack USB drivers and scripts to make it happen, then details the steps to follow to get your setup working.

I also managed to get a Sony Clie AND the iPaq (PPC 2K2 with its buggy iR) working with my phone thanks to those forums. For the iPaq, you have to download a hack - the IR dll from PPC 2K.

Mark

Ed Hansberry
10-13-2002, 12:26 AM
WooHoo!

Your best experience will be to get GPRS working. Who is your cell phone provider?

You could dial into Optimum Online assuming it were a normal ISP that accepted PPP connections like AT&T Worldnet, Earthlink, MSN and a bazillion others. Not like AOL though. However, that means you use GSM on the T68 and you are going to be limited to 9600 baud. Good for a backup but not the way to go long term.

Your T68 can be either a bluetooth or IR modem depending on your PPC. You need no other software to do this. It is just a matter of setting things up in Connection Manager. If you can get back with some details on your cell carrier, we'll try to help out.

Elad Yakobowicz
10-13-2002, 12:45 AM
bdeli -

I'm using a Jornada 568.

Ed -

I'm using T-Mobile as my cell phone provider for my T68. The plan I signed up for has GPRS included, etc. Like you say, the only obstacle is setting things up in Connections Manager - which isn't even an obstacle since I'm able to get it to dial! The only problem is I don't have anywhere for it to dial into... :roll:

I'm doing this using the infrared ports. I don't plan on surfing this way excessivly, but it's good for emergencies like you said, and I just want to see how cool it actually is.

bdeli
10-13-2002, 03:39 AM
Elad,

Just found this -

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/stepbystep/gprs.asp

I did some searches and managed to find out that people managed to configure a Jornada 568 with a BT CF card with a T68, but I did not find anything with IR.