View Full Version : IPAQ GSM, GPRS

ETARD33
10-09-2002, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know when the gsm/gprs is going to be available in N. America? Or any possible way of attaining it?
Thanks... :lol:

Mike Temporale
10-09-2002, 08:14 PM
You talking about the GSM sleeve for the ipaq?? If so, I remember reading something about it being discontinued. I'm not 100% on this.

Check out this thread:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3827

cparekh
10-09-2002, 09:11 PM
GSM/GPRS service is available from AT&T Wireless, T-Mobile (formerly Voice Stream Wirless), and Cingular Wireless. I believe all are, or will be, nationwide (e.g. major cities and interstate highways), by the end of the year. T-Mobile currently has the largest GSM/GPRS footprint, I think (please correct me if I am wrong).

cp

Birdman
10-09-2002, 10:03 PM
I think he means the new ipaq 5xxx series, one of which is supposed to have built in GSM/GPRS capabilities. Last I heard/read, people were expecting a pre-xmas release.

blackbarby
10-09-2002, 10:38 PM
I also believe they are dicontinuing it.It was slated on the web to be released in the US in October. I had seen it on the Compaq website last month. But now the website is revamped as HP and I called to ask specs and release dates and they acted like theydid not know what I was talking about. My speculation that it is due to the upcoming release of the new 5000 series which some will have the gsm/gprs intergrated. Dont worry though when I did get a compaq tech I was told that it did not have any dual expansion so if you were using it then no CF or PC cards could be attached. That would be a bummer to keep changing sleeves.

nene

mrvjtod
10-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Anyone know of the features of the 6 new iPaq devices?

Is there really one with BlueTooth/802.11/GPRS ALL in ONE? 8O

I heard that the new 5000s would be out by christmas, but the GPRS might not be available til 03¿

lst337
10-09-2002, 11:40 PM
CNet - HP gets FCC nod for wireless iPaq

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-961393.html?tag=fd_top_7

Sounds like it is on track for this holiday season...

FCC notes on the new HP wireless iPaq (includes photos):

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/oet/forms/reports/Search_Form.hts?mode=Edit&form=Exhibits&application_id=746611&fcc_id=BEJPDA-PE2030A

~ Lee

rubberdemon
10-10-2002, 12:40 AM
Wow, check out the manual - everything from removing the battery pack to registering fingerprints for the reader. Lots of reading here!

MultiMatt
10-12-2002, 12:36 AM
From what I've heard, there will only be TWO models out in time for Christmas: a low-end, smaller iPAQ and a WiFi version of the 5400 series.

Any model with phone capabilities is likely to be in Q1 of 2003...

I'd love to be wrong on that, but I think that's what we'll see.

I also think that we won't see BT, WiFi and GPRS all in one device. There will be different models with combinations of each...

Matt

tpaxton
10-12-2002, 01:39 AM
I am interested in purchasing a Smartphone now.... however

Voicestream unit is quite limited in PDA expansion.. and only 4k colors

ATT will have the new Seimens unit in a couple of weeks, and we'll have to see... there is a GSM/GPRS add-on to their PDA but it appears to bulk-up the size of the unit...

I am hoping the iPaq will have this functionality and still be able to have add-on/swap cards... as the iPaq appears to be the best unit on the market...

Anything info pertaining to this would be helpful in making a decision now or delaying for the near future..

thanks