View Full Version : Stop What You're Doing and Back Up Your PPC!

David McNamee
10-09-2002, 04:37 PM
I finally got bit in the ass.

I was on a plane last week headed to a meeting at our corporate offices in Chicago. I pulled out my Toshiba e740, plugged in my earphones and fired up some Barenaked Ladies tunes to help me pass the time. I put the Pocket PC into the inside pocket of the jacket I was wearing and let go. The pocket was deeper than I remembered, and I winced as I heard the clanging sound of the Pocket PC meeting my seat's metal armrest. I pulled the e740 back out of the pocket because the music had stopped. Actually, the whole PPC froze. I pushed the power button. No response. I held down the power button. This turned off the unit. It did more than turn off the unit, it caused a hard reset!

Fortunately, I keep most of my presentations, media, books, and documents on either a storage card or microdrive. But all of my installed software was gone, and so were some rather important notes I had not yet placed on the storage card.

Don't let this happen to you. It only takes a few minutes to back up your Pocket PC to a storage card. If you prefer, you can use ActiveSync to back up to your PC. Quit stalling and do it now!

Evee Ev
10-09-2002, 07:01 PM
thanks for the warning...i just backed everything up through activesync.

David McNamee
10-09-2002, 07:10 PM
thanks for the warning...i just backed everything up through activesync.

Excellent!

I've put a recurring task on my calendar to do a backup on the first Friday of every month. Do it more often if you like, do it less often, but just do it!

Dave Conger
10-10-2002, 02:48 AM
I took a look at a number of Backup solutions a little while ago. There are some great solutions instead of Active Sync that work very quickly...and some even have automated backups.

http://www.davespda.com/features/backup.htm