View Full Version : Siemens SX56 - Pocket PC with Phone Edition

andrea
10-09-2002, 07:39 AM
As german internet portal and software shop Mobile2Day.net published today Siemens will launch the SX56 in the next weeks.

And what a cool device: Pocket PC Phone Edition, MP3 Player and so on...

Please take a look here: http://www.mobile2day.net

Best regards,

BR

mja8105
10-09-2002, 08:19 AM
this is the same ppc phone that is available through t-mobile in the US. supposedly at&t will be launching it as a siemens branded product.

Chronos
10-09-2002, 05:14 PM
From the specs I've seen it is identical to the T-Mobile in hardware (CPU, memory, digitizer, etc) and includes AT&T software for their SMS/voicemail/etc. Hopefully it will be better written than the apps included with the T-Mobile. Also the casing is a silverish color, as opposed to the Ti finish of the T-M. I read in the specs that it includes a single earpiece headset; the T-M has a dual earpiece headset.

jamisonw
10-17-2002, 03:53 AM
I just got it two days ago. It seems great, but I do have one problem. I have to exchange it tomorrow because the charger doesn't work so I ran out of juice. Not sure what's up wit that. The other problem is that AT&T knows nothing about it yet, so they can't help me get stuff working. Specifically I need POP3 and IMAP4 to work, but the techs are telling me it can't do that, which is clearly BS. Hopefully they'll figure it out soon and help me out. The web browser is GREAT since it isn't WAP. AT&T GSM service is awful in Seattle, but I have heard it is better elsewhere.

smittyofdhs
10-30-2002, 11:30 PM
I just got it two days ago. It seems great, but I do have one problem. I have to exchange it tomorrow because the charger doesn't work so I ran out of juice. Not sure what's up wit that. The other problem is that AT&T knows nothing about it yet, so they can't help me get stuff working. Specifically I need POP3 and IMAP4 to work, but the techs are telling me it can't do that, which is clearly BS. Hopefully they'll figure it out soon and help me out. The web browser is GREAT since it isn't WAP. AT&T GSM service is awful in Seattle, but I have heard it is better elsewhere.

AT&T GSM/GPRS sucks everywhere in the US right now but it's getting better every day. If AT&T CS told you that pop and imap will not work they should be shot, it works just fine for me, I use it everyday. This is a great device, I've been using about a week now and I'm totally statified with the device (again AT&T GSM service needs work but that has nothing to do with the device).

jamisonw
10-31-2002, 12:35 AM
I agree with your thoughts. I did get POP3 and IMAP working, but I am having problems sending. AT&T won't tell me their outbound SMTP server, which I think is "smtp.attwireless.net" but I still can't send. Have you figured this out? Also I am using IMAP with Exchange Server 2000 SP3. I have a problem where even though it remembers my password it prompts me each time to click "OK" before it will log on and check. That basically messes up the automated 15 minute checking interval because I don't see that it is trying to check. Any thoughts?

smittyofdhs
10-31-2002, 12:45 AM
I agree with your thoughts. I did get POP3 and IMAP working, but I am having problems sending. AT&T won't tell me their outbound SMTP server, which I think is "smtp.attwireless.net" but I still can't send. Have you figured this out? Also I am using IMAP with Exchange Server 2000 SP3. I have a problem where even though it remembers my password it prompts me each time to click "OK" before it will log on and check. That basically messes up the automated 15 minute checking interval because I don't see that it is trying to check. Any thoughts?

I'm on a corporate email system (Imail Server) and I can send and receive with no problems. We do require SMTP AUTH on our email server so that allows me to send email even though I'm not on the LAN.

I tried using IMAP and was unhappy with it, too slow and sometimes my device would lock up so I start using POP and haven't any problems. We don't use Exchange server so I can't help you there.

buladawg
11-01-2002, 11:36 PM
I've had mine for about two weeks now here in Colorado and am using IMAP with our Corp Exhange 2000 sp3 server and I love it!

Coverage is outstanding throughout the Denver Metro Area.