View Full Version : Consensus on disabling the "T-Mobile" Today screen

mty
10-05-2002, 04:19 AM
Is there a consensus that disabling the "T-Mobile" Today screen plug-in will increase stability and prevent freeze-up on incoming calls?

If so, how do you disable it?

Jason Dunn
10-05-2002, 05:28 AM
Phillip Torrone is convinced that it is and he's working on a story about it I believe. You can remove it by looking in the windows/startup menu I think - just delete the shortcut (or move it).

sullivanpt
10-05-2002, 05:28 PM
My personal experience. unchecking the today applet increased the stability to nearly perfect for outgoing calls and changing coverage areas. In poor coverage, incoming calls still hang.

I have not tried the other recommended actions:
removing the T-Mo battery monitor from startup.
disabling automatic network selection in the phone settings.

mccollin
10-08-2002, 11:26 AM
I disabled the Today screen plug-in and the Battery Monitor after my first day of operation. I have had very few problems at all with hangs that require a reset. As the prior reply said, you still loose a call now and again in low coverage areas, but that happened to me with my old phone on Verizon more than it's happening on this one.

MRNUTTY
10-08-2002, 02:17 PM
i have lots of areas of good and bad reception (walking around the building, or going too from work) the phone doesn't make these transistions quickly. often i have to turn the phone off/on again for it to register a strong signal again. these modification didn't help. didn't hurt either :-)

dbrackett27
03-12-2003, 05:58 AM
How do you disable the T-Mobile today screen and battery settings? I am having the same hanging issues and would love to try to remedy.

Janak Parekh
03-12-2003, 06:18 AM
FWIW, the 3.14 ROM fixes a lot of the problems.

If you want to see pt's (Philip Torrone) thoughts (and instructions) on it, see this link (http://www.pocketpcmagic.com/removetapps/). I believe this referred to the old ROM.

I still removed it on mine, anyway. The T-Mo apps do use some RAM, and I don't use them, at all.

--janak

rdef
03-12-2003, 06:25 AM
How do you disable the T-Mobile today screen and battery settings? I am having the same hanging issues and would love to try to remedy.

Remove the today item:

Go to Start|Settings|Today then click the Items tab at the bottom. Unmark the checkbox next to the T-Mobile item in the list.

Remove the battery monitor:

Open File Manager and navigate to \windows\startup. Tap and hold the Battery monitor item. A context menu will appear. Select cut. Navigate to another folder (maybe create a new one before cutting the file)then paste. Perform a soft reset.

Voila.

sullivanpt
03-13-2003, 12:24 AM
With the 11/26/02 ENG T-Mobile ROM update it is no longer necessary to remove the Today applets. I've been using them for months without a single lock-up.