View Full Version : Pocket PC Thoughts 3.0 is coming soon

Jason Dunn
10-04-2002, 06:46 PM
This evening (Friday), Pocket PC Thoughts will be going offline for a very significant move. By Monday morning we'll be on a new dedicated server (with Rackshack), with a new look and some killer functionality. I don't want to reveal any more of the surprise, but suffice it to say that I think you'll all be very, very pleased by what you see (and what you'll be able to do). I can't wait! :D

Arne Hess
This evening (Friday), Pocket PC Thoughts will be going offline for a very significant move. By Monday morning we'll be on a new dedicated server (with Rackshack), with a new look and some killer functionality. I don't want to reveal any more of the surprise, but suffice it to say that I think you'll all be very, very pleased by what you see (and what you'll be able to do). I can't wait! http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck for the server move, cross the fingers that everything will work well :!:
Can't wait to see Thoughts 3.0!

entropy1980
If you give us the IP I can post it on my site and keep it to access cause won't it take a day or 2 to propogate the net?

pradike
:D Best wishes Jason, on your new site...hard to believe it can get much better, but after being here daily, I'm equally anticipating whats in store.

You do the PocketPC world a great service with your news, info, advice, suggestions, and humor.

Keep up the good work!!! :!:

Mike Temporale
If you give us the IP I can post it on my site and keep it to access cause won't it take a day or 2 to propogate the net?

Once the DNS change is made, it should only take 2-3 hours to spread. However if your ISP's DNS server is set to some stupid refresh time it could take a lot longer. The standard is around 3 hours.

Good luck with the move. I had some that went well, and others that.... well, less than well. How's that?

GadgetDave
Yea! Good luck ...

Ed Hansberry
hard to believe it can get much better
You have NO idea! :way to go:

ThomasC22
Good luck for the server move, cross the fingers that everything will work well :!:
Can't wait to see Thoughts 3.0!

You echo my sentiments exactly. Good luck guys, and if it goes anything like the server moves I've done in the past, we'll see you all on Thursday :)

Sven Johannsen
Disapproved. You can't take the site down over a weekend. You should have done this while I was on vacation and didn't have access anyway ;)

Merlion
Thanks for continuing to improve this site. As it is, I think PocketPCThoughts is the most frequently updated PPC site, with the most updated info, news, etc. & you obviously didn't rest on your laurels & is now improving this site. Kudos to Jason & the PocketPCThoughts team & your contribution to the PPC community! :D

jpmierau
Is there ANYTHING less fun than a server migration? Oh, maybe a server migration AND a major site overhaul!

I love this site...how can it get better, despite Ed's teasing? HURRY UP AND DO IT SO WE CAN SEE!

good luck, folks!

adamz
I hope the forum get's redesigned and the main page stays as one column content. I hate having to scroll up and down through 3 or 4 columns of text.. in a SINGLE WINDOW! Hello people, this is not a newspaper (where people can see the whole page at one time). :)
And the forums need to be more usable, especially on the Pocket PC. This phpBB forum was a step back from the previous design (in my opinion). Even though there is more functionality, it's certainly not as easy. Who needs these silly emoticons anyway?

denethor
8) You should switch to 1900x1600 res :twisted:

Jason Dunn

I'll still have access to this server, so there will be a re-director. :-) Thanks though!

Trade Wind
Can't wait! *goes to http://beta.pocketpcthoughts.com * :oops: Rats! not there hehe

Jason Dunn
I hope the forum get's redesigned and the main page stays as one column content. I hate having to scroll up and down through 3 or 4 columns of text.. in a SINGLE WINDOW! Hello people, this is not a newspaper (where people can see the whole page at one time). :)
And the forums need to be more usable, especially on the Pocket PC. This phpBB forum was a step back from the previous design (in my opinion). Even though there is more functionality, it's certainly not as easy. Who needs these silly emoticons anyway?

I'm sorry you dislike our little site so much... :lol: Let me know what you think of the new design on Monday, but keep in mind that I can't please everyone.

entropy1980
Do I sense a mobile version..... :D

JonnoB
Do I sense a mobile version..... :D

I am praying....... :angel:

heov
The only thing I dislike on PPC Thoughts than what it used to be are two things: the time it takes to load the forums and the useless pictures...

Though I am probably one in many thousands, I don't like pictures that have no use whatsover- like showing the dell dude when talking about dell pda, or a showing a logo for a company when it's discussed. Though I do like it that you actually post pictures of products etc.

Also, the reason for this is because I'm still stuck on dialup, and those pictures really aren't worth downloading, even though there aren't that many- again, i'm just one person... I wouldn't mind it, actually i would LIKE it, kinda, if i had DSL or cable...

Also, same goes with the discussion boards. Although I like the features, I would rather have speed first...

Jason Dunn
The only thing I dislike on PPC Thoughts than what it used to be are two things: the time it takes to load the forums and the useless pictures...

I would encourage you to seek out a new site then if this one doesn't meet your needs. :? A web site without any pictures is boring (to me at least) - but if that's what you want in a side, you could always start your own. :wink:

msprague
10-07-2002, 07:46 AM
Jason,
The 3.0 site is great. I love the fresh look and the auto-redirect for the Pocket PC format front page is great. It seems like I remember discussion a while back on a Pocket PC optomized forum as a for $$ option. Do you see that happening? I am not sure that I would pay for it, but I do browse the forums on my Maestro quite a bit, especially over the weekend.

Congrats on the new design! Well done. :D

ThomasC22
10-07-2002, 08:24 AM
I agree, I like it a lot. and....drum roll...THERE'S A LAST 10 POST SECTION!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The different category icons on the front page don't quite make sense to me but they are attractive.

All in all I can't say there is anything I don't like (and coming from a cynic like myself that's saying something).

The only sad thing is that, being there is no link on the front page, I have to assume the archives are dead (although I guess you could still search through phpBB for most of it).

Anyway, great job all in all.

Jeff Rutledge
10-07-2002, 01:23 PM
I still can't see the page! I'm guessing my DNS hasn't caught up yet. If so, it's ironic as I'm in the same city as Jason. Actually, I'm just assuming he's hosting from Calgary...he might not come to think of it.

Either way, looks like I'll have to wait until morning. :x

ThomasC22
10-07-2002, 02:14 PM
I still can't see the page! I'm guessing my DNS hasn't caught up yet. If so, it's ironic as I'm in the same city as Jason. Actually, I'm just assuming he's hosting from Calgary...he might not come to think of it.

Either way, looks like I'll have to wait until morning. :x

The page probably won't show up at pocketpcthoughts.com until monday but if you click on the logo in the upper left hand corner the link is to the ip address so it works.

ok, actually, I just tried that and it looks like they're on to us, no more sneak peak for us, and I felt so special :(

ThomasC22
10-08-2002, 08:02 AM
Ahhh, Monday morning passes, and the curse of the Server Migration claims another web site <insert creepy music here>

RickP in AZ
10-08-2002, 08:03 AM
Sigh, I still can't get the new site... (if it's actually viewable yet.) I guess Earthlink/Sprintmail's stuff hasn't caught up.

The withdraw from PPCThoughts is absolutely unbearable..........

agostumpy
10-08-2002, 10:18 AM
Stupid DNS crap...what's the IP for the site!!!!!!???????????

HELP!! :evil:

ThomasC22
10-08-2002, 10:21 AM
Stupid DNS crap...what's the IP for the site!!!!!!???????????

HELP!! :evil:

They actually have it offline so the ip (which is 207.44.140.93) won't help. The reason we knew about the new site was that the link in the upper left hand corner linked to the main page. That is no longer the case which, to me, indicates that they still have it offline on purpose (maybe to put some last minute finishing touches on)