View Full Version : Can you change to language ?

Noogii
10-03-2002, 07:06 PM
I have just gotten a ipaq 3850, but i have a little problem.
The language is in Japan (i think) and i would like to change it to english, to be able to use it.

Is it possible ??

I called my local compaq support, and they said it's impossible, but i don't quite trust them.

sullivanpt
10-03-2002, 09:28 PM
To my knowledge, the only way to change the language is to burn a new image on the device's FLASH memory. Seems like this might be possible but you'd have to acquire an image in the language of choice and then use the ROM update tools to replace the image (I dont think these tools are publicly available). You'd certainly invalidate any warranty, you run a high risk of frying the device, and it may be illegal depending on where you live.

I recommend you learn Japanese. It's easier and it will come in handy on your next trip. :D

Noogii
10-03-2002, 09:49 PM
Thank you for the fast answer.

Well, actually the PDA is bought in Denmark, and it's illigal to sell it without instructions in Danish, Swedish or Norwegan.

All the instructions were in Japanese, so i will deliever it back to where i bought it and get a new. I just hoped that it was possible so i could change it quick, and start using it right away, instead of waiting for a new one.

I might start taking a Japanese course, so if it happens again, then i can use it anyway ;-)