View Full Version : Removable batteries: A concealed feature?

jizmo
10-01-2002, 06:57 PM
I'm currently looking forward to re-purchase PocketPC, but as my earlier experiences with iPAQ indicated, a removable battery is an absolute must, if one is going to use the device for its most practical use: working while travelling.

This is why I really find it frustrating to browse trough PPC selling netsites. I can't find the most crucial information about the devices, the ability to have an extra removable battery.

So plase tell me, is removable battery nowadays a standard that doesn't even need to be mentioned. I'd really like to see that iPAQ 3630's non-removable battery was just a sorry mistake in design ;)

/jizmo

spursdude
10-01-2002, 11:39 PM
it's not a standard feature....i'm pretty sure the casio e200 has a removable battery. the toshiba e740 has a removable battery - i'm positive about this.

honestly, i don't think that any other current models out there have removable batteries. (i may be wrong, though)

Steven Cedrone
10-02-2002, 03:16 AM
The Jornada 56x series has a removable battery. Too bad they won't be around too much longer :cry:

Steve

Terry
10-02-2002, 03:29 AM
The IPAQ 39xx series does NOT have a removable battery. With an expansion pack (needed for a CF or PCMCIA card) you get plenty of extra juice. Great for emergencies when you forget to charge too.

(from a former Jornada owner, so I have plenty of IPAQ biases)

jizmo
10-02-2002, 12:56 PM
spursdude, yeah. someone should do a comprehensive feature listing with all the major ARM PPC devices out there, side by side. I've really given thought to buying e740 just because of this feature.

steven, yup. jornada was superior to iPAQ in that way. no doubt that iPAQ is the "definitive" PPC out there, but not listening to the customers about ranting about the lack of removable batteries is just downright stupid. it really wouldn't be that big of a feature to implement

terry, i hade to buy one of those expansions packs to iPAQ, which made the iPAQ look like .. well, you know =)

all in all, there's been a rumors about these "super batteries" being developed for PPC devices since the launch of iPAQ, but it really seems like this will not happen. battery technology is one of the most studied areas in the electronics, and if someone doesn't figure out a completely new kind of a way to storage power, the industry will go on like it has so far, with baby steps, developing power storage little by little.

meanwhile, i really think that all manufacturers should listen to the customers on this. i can't figure out a single person that would be against having the removable batteries with their PocketPC's

/jizmo