View Full Version : Microsoft and their mobile strategy

Ed Hansberry
10-01-2002, 05:00 PM
<a href="http://wirelessnewsfactor.com/perl/story/19545.html">http://wirelessnewsfactor.com/perl/story/19545.html</a><br /><br />"Partnerships with hardware manufacturers are important, but making inroads with application developers may be even more critical in helping the behemoth repeat what it was able to accomplish on the desktop. What makes any Microsoft operating system dominant is the applications it runs, and Pocket PC is no exception." Here is yet another ariticle that talks about Microsoft's mobile strategy, but from a different angle. This one focuses on Microsoft's strong platform for development. "Competitor Palm's dominance on the application side may not hold for long, according to Aberdeen Group's Isaac Ro. He told Wireless NewsFactor that there is a perception among developers and application vendors that the current kernel of the Palm OS is "not terribly robust for enterprises."<br /><br />It isn't over yet. MS still trails in marketshare, but their strategy seems to be paying off. I think Palm will get a boost this fall with the release of OS5 devices, but after the initial excitement and most people realize you can't fundamentally do much more on an OS5 device than you can on an OS4 device, the excitement will wear off. I don't see IT departments moving to OS5 either. Developing complex apps for OS4/5 is much more difficult than for Pocket PC right now, especially for those IT departments that have already embraced Visual Studio .NET. "In the next few years, it's going to be a dog fight," Ro said, "but Microsoft will gain a lead around 2005." They have been saying that since 2000, but what is interesting to me is now that we are 24-36 months from this, they are still saying it. Nothing in their surveys have changed.

Foo Fighter
10-01-2002, 05:23 PM
These *predictions* of Microsoft's rise to dominance in the mobile space are a dime a dozen. At the end of each quarter the market still looks pretty much as it did the prior session....PalmOS squarely dominates...with PPC stuck in the sub-twenty percent niche. OS5 could mark a turning point for PalmOS in either direction. Either it will offer consumers and enterprise the right balance of features, price, and performance. Or cheaper PPCs (like Viewsonic's and Toshiba's) will drain the life out of PalmSource. Frankly I don't know which way the winds of change will blow, its just too close to call, and both Microsoft and PalmSource have a number of advantages in their corner.

But the greatest advantage the PalmOS has held onto for so long was value. Less expensive hardware that delivered a basic set of functions. Now PPC is about to break into this segment with MORE FUNCTIONALITY for LESS. Less than Palm handhelds to be more to the point. How will the market react when Palm unveils the Tungsten for $499 and PPC vendors release $299 product that offer the same (or better) functionality. This mix of 'bang for the buck' value is precisely what put the PC ahead of all other computing platforms. Will this be enough to topple PalmOS's preeminence in the market? My magic 8 ball says..."future is uncertain".

pt
10-01-2002, 07:13 PM
These *predictions* of Microsoft's rise to dominance in the mobile space are a dime a dozen. At the end of each quarter the market still looks pretty much as it did the prior session....PalmOS squarely dominates...with PPC stuck in the sub-twenty percent niche. OS5 could mark a turning point for PalmOS in either direction. Either it will offer consumers and enterprise the right balance of features, price, and performance. Or cheaper PPCs (like Viewsonic's and Toshiba's) will drain the life out of PalmSource. Frankly I don't know which way the winds of change will blow, its just too close to call, and both Microsoft and PalmSource have a number of advantages in their corner.

But the greatest advantage the PalmOS has held onto for so long was value. Less expensive hardware that delivered a basic set of functions. Now PPC is about to break into this segment with MORE FUNCTIONALITY for LESS. Less than Palm handhelds to be more to the point. How will the market react when Palm unveils the Tungsten for $499 and PPC vendors release $299 product that offer the same (or better) functionality. This mix of 'bang for the buck' value is precisely what put the PC ahead of all other computing platforms. Will this be enough to topple PalmOS's preeminence in the market? My magic 8 ball says..."future is uncertain".

wow, foo- that was a good read. the only other variable i can think of is the carrier side with palm os and pocket pc os phones starting up in a big way as well in the next 3-6 months (not counting the current ones).

cheers,
pt

Paragon
10-01-2002, 09:18 PM
To be honest I doubt that OS5 will make much difference in the market numbers. For the eleventy million Palm owners out there, I think you will find they bought a Palm because that is what they were sold. Go into you local electronics store and say I want to buy one of those Palm thingies, chances are they will steer you to a Palm. First, they probably have a lousy selection of PPCs. They probably don't understand the differences in the different devices, and find Palm to be an easier sell. Palm has a better price point (up til now) Most people have never heard of a Pocket PC, but you can bet they have heard of a Palm Pilot.

The best thing Pocket PC manufactures, and Microsoft could do for themselves is get out to the stores and teach the people behind the counter some product knowledge on what the hell they are selling! They have much more control over what goes out the door then anyone, or thing else.

Dave

Foo Fighter
10-01-2002, 09:53 PM
the only other variable i can think of is the carrier side with palm os and pocket pc os phones starting up in a big way as well in the next 3-6 months (not counting the current ones).

Yep, the smartphone, PDA/Phone combo market is even MORE up for grabs because it is so young and undeveloped. And PalmOS doesn't yet control that sector.

Foo Fighter
10-01-2002, 10:06 PM
The best thing Pocket PC manufactures, and Microsoft could do for themselves is get out to the stores and teach the people behind the counter some product knowledge on what the hell they are selling! They have much more control over what goes out the door then anyone, or thing else.

The best thing PPC manufacturers and Microsoft could do is put money into a broad nationwide ad campaign to present the platform to consumers. A few trendy, cool TV commercials, sprinkled with magazine and news ads here and there. And push these products in markets other than geek oriented hangouts. Try student book stores, shopping mall displays...anywhere mainstream consumers coagulate.

How about some nice in-store displays (similar to Palm and Handspring's now defunct showcases) with actual WORKING Pocket PCs connected to a laptop, demonstrating the ease of use and seamless desktop integration.

But, hey..what do I know.... :roll:

Paragon
10-01-2002, 10:41 PM
But, hey..what do I know.... :roll:

I think you know how to sell Pocket PCs!

Dave

pt
10-01-2002, 10:44 PM
The best thing PPC manufacturers and Microsoft could do is put money into a broad nationwide ad campaign to present the platform to consumers. A few trendy, cool TV commercials, sprinkled with magazine and news ads here and there. And push these products in markets other than geek oriented hangouts. Try student book stores, shopping mall displays...anywhere mainstream consumers coagulate. How about some nice in-store displays (similar to Palm and Handspring's now defunct showcases) with actual WORKING Pocket PCs connected to a laptop, demonstrating the ease of use and seamless desktop integration.

you're 100% on it. i think with dell coming aboard soon it might happen, they have a pretty big media buy as far as tv goes. t-mobile has stepped up in the compusa stores as well as other local retail (at least here in seattle) and have started to get some great floor space.

i think the pda oems should do series of films, kinda like www.bmwfilms.com some cool hero (gal or guy) does cool stuff and somewhere a pocket pc is used in a real way. we'd also be able to watch the flicks on our pocket pc. um, oems...call me, i know who can do these for ya :lol:

cheers,
pt

scottmag
10-02-2002, 01:40 AM
The best thing PPC manufacturers and Microsoft could do is put money into a broad nationwide ad campaign to present the platform to consumers.

I think there is a danger in Microsoft directly promoting the platform to the general public. Microsoft tends to have a bad reputation and quickly becomes the target of late night comedians whenever they are in the spotlight. To many people Windows = locks up and makes my life miserable. When "Windows powered" smartphones come out Microsoft will have to carefully promote the platform so consumers don't look at them and say, I don't want my phone to lock up.

So I agree with you that MS should back the manufacturers in promoting the platform broadly but they should keep in the background. We'll probably see what works when Dell releases their PPC. Dude, they don't enter a market without coming on strong.

Scott

Pinnacle
10-02-2002, 03:04 AM
Go into you local electronics store and say I want to buy one of those Palm thingies, chances are they will steer you to a Palm. First, they probably have a lousy selection of PPCs. They probably don't understand the differences in the different devices, and find Palm to be an easier sell. Palm has a better price point (up til now) Most people have never heard of a Pocket PC, but you can bet they have heard of a Palm Pilot.

Dave

I agree, somewhat, that it's historically been much easier for electronic store personnel to sell Palms more than PPC's; I believe this trend is diminishing, though. Even a year ago, I'd completely agree with you; but not now.

I travel quite a bit across the US, and I always seem to find myself in a local Best Buy or CompUSA. You'd be surprised how many PDA counter employees actually push and OWN a Pocket PC over a Palm device. The only Palm that I've seen pushed in a big way is the Clie NR70/V over the past year. That tells me that these guys/gals are more interested in advancing technology over a simple Palm Pilot.

These guys are not experts on PPC's, surely. But things are getting better for PPC devices at retail level, especially seen over the past year.

Paragon
10-02-2002, 03:47 AM
That's a good sign, Pinnicale. I guess as time goes on that will only improve more.

Dave

disconnected
10-02-2002, 03:38 PM
I just want to be sure to avoid any malls with all those coagulated consumers :D

Foo Fighter
10-02-2002, 04:33 PM
I just want to be sure to avoid any malls with all those coagulated consumers :D

Have seen what it's like in malls? You walk along the main aisle ways with people moving along in a nice even flow, and then suddenly you stumble upon a live demonstration for some product (like knives or exercise equipment), and the crowd is pact so tight you can't even get past them. The situation worsens when there is free food involved. I swear, the smell of food attracts all the fatties in the mall. All you can see is a wall of blubber and big asses. God help anyone brave enough to attempt to squeeze through that mass. You'll never get to Sam Goody's with all those beached whales blocking your path.

And then of course you have mall restaurants. Stay as far away as possible. They are fat farms, and when the dinner bell is rung...all the cows come home. Especially during the holidays. One time I was doing my Christmas shopping and I fell upon this huge ass line (mainly huge asses) that was backed up all the way around the main corridor of the mall, which forced all the foot traffic down to one lane. Grrrr!

Oh well, I'll stop my ranting now. :wink:

Steven Cedrone
10-02-2002, 04:50 PM

Have seen what it's like in malls? You walk along the main aisle ways with people moving along in a nice even flow, and then suddenly you stumble upon a live demonstration for some product (like knives or exercise equipment), and the crowd is pact so tight you can't even get past them. The situation worsens when there is free food involved. I swear, the smell of food attracts all the fatties in the mall. All you can see is a wall of blubber and big asses. God help anyone brave enough to attempt to squeeze through that mass. You'll never get to Sam Goody's with all those beached whales blocking your path.

And then of course you have mall restaurants. Stay as far away as possible. They are fat farms, and when the dinner bell is rung...all the cows come home. Especially during the holidays. One time I was doing my Christmas shopping and I fell upon this huge ass line (mainly huge asses) that was backed up all the way around the main corridor of the mall, which forced all the foot traffic down to one lane. Grrrr!

Oh well, I'll stop my ranting now. :wink:

That has to be THE funniest post I have seen in a long time.... :rofl:

Now lets try to get back on topic....

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Paragon
10-02-2002, 04:58 PM
After that post I think you left the "d" out of your name, Foo. :)

Dave