View Full Version : PPC Security?

web docta
10-01-2002, 04:57 AM
Can someone get into my PPC information if I enabled my password protection?
I find myself putting more and more sensitive information on my pocket pc and I want to be prepared in the event that it ever got lost. Would someone have to format the PPC if they didn't have the password or is there a way around it without losing the data?

Steven Cedrone
10-01-2002, 05:27 AM
As long as you enable password protection, the person would have to either crack the password (Enable your password, and start guessing wrong passwords and see what happens!), or they would have to hard reset (all data would be lost). Your data should be safe...

Steve

MLO
10-02-2002, 03:27 PM
Is there any information that is stored on the desktop (other than the optional Pocket PC My Documents folder) from the handheld? If so, would it be protected?

MLO

Steven Cedrone
10-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Is there any information that is stored on the desktop (other than the optional Pocket PC My Documents folder) from the handheld? If so, would it be protected?

MLO

Are you planning on losing your desktop? :wink:

Aside from "My Documents":

Outlook data
ActiveSync backups (\\yourmachine\c\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync\Profiles\yourdevicename\Synchronized Files Backup)

What kind of data are you worried about?

Steve

MLO
10-04-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm a former Palm user...just recently converted to a Toshiba e310.

When synching with a PC, Palm stores the addressbook, todo, memo, and note databases to the desktop, as well as archiving and backing up all third party apps to the desktop as well. Anyone with access to that PC, over the network or locally, could grab the files and load them on another Palm handheld.

There are utilities to turn off backup for third party app databases, but they would not work for the ones in ROM (datebook, todo, etc).

Hence my question.

MLO

Steven Cedrone
10-05-2002, 12:32 AM
For datebook, todo, notes data (Outlook), you can always password protect the .pst file...

Steve