View Full Version : Lost files in flash? Wat tools u use? used Windows Tools b4?

Freak
09-25-2002, 09:16 AM
I was going berzerk when I slowly started to realize that I was loosing files on my Sandisk 256M SD Card in my iPaq 3850! 8O
FIrst two of my programs stopped working , never really use them so ...
Then I started loosing notes that weren't critical
Following that I lost the entire collections of Maps I had in my subdirectory
Did I or DO I have a virus?
It became clear to me that it wasn't me!!!!!!
Tried to fix it with a demo of Storagetools 1.4 which generated unrecoverable errors :?
Well I panicked and started backing up my files via the Sandisk Cruzer
During copying, several files (guess which ones... the ones mentioned above and more) couldn't be read from so I backed up the rest

My guess:
I save all my email attachements (yes I sync them) on that card and I get a lot of emails. Also I work of files that I always save on the card to maximize system memory.
It is either the card is of inferior quality or the card defrags during use so much that it eventually fails to create proper links?

I hope and will test:
I was trying StorageTools but it was too late and it is too slow
BUT I found out when I connect my SD Card via the Cruzer to my desktop I was actually able to use Norton Disk Doctor and Speedisk (limited success but still trying) on the card.
Did anyone have similiar ecpereinces and found an even better solution? I will investigate my approach further with a newly formatted card and see but in my preliminary tests none of the Windows tools seem to work on my screwed up card

Freak
09-26-2002, 05:25 AM
okay

I am speechless. defrag should not be used as in my case write errors have occured rendering the file it was trying to move useless.
I gave up on the whole thing and formatted my card via storage tools and now I can't copy my backup back onto the card
Using the Cruzer:
- first of I have some sort of cycling error
- now the card is just simply write protected
Using active sync:
- seems fine but takes forever