View Full Version : 3900 Rumors....?

`helios
09-25-2002, 12:56 AM
hey everyone,

I was at Future Shop one day, and the guy who works at the PDA section told me that due to a massive demand, Compaq/HP will only sell 3900 Series iPAQ's in mass quantity.

Anyone else heard anything about this??

Thanks

Gallivant
09-25-2002, 01:04 AM
Huh?

You're saying that he said that because everyone wants one, they'll only be sold to those who want many?

Why the hell would they do that?

I wouldn't believe a word of it. Even corporate purchasing of handhelds is often in relatively small numbers.

`helios
09-25-2002, 02:32 AM
k, I left a little info out. From what I was told, HP can't supply enough units to each company to be sold individually. If they were to be sold on the consumer level, apparently HP could only sell to a specific store. They could distribute through Future Shop, and not through Staples, but then Staples could stop selling their PCs. So instead of choosing one company over another, they're not going to sell through normal retail.

Gallivant
09-25-2002, 03:35 AM
Hmm...

*That* sounds more plausible. I still sort of doubt it. Exclusivity deals are pretty rare - the CompUSA g550 is the only one I can think of ever seeing. But I suppose it's at least a possibility.

Jason Dunn
09-25-2002, 05:34 AM
So instead of choosing one company over another, they're not going to sell through normal retail.

That makes no sense...! If that were the case, they'd be pulling them from online stores as well. 8O

JonnoB
09-25-2002, 05:43 PM
This sounds like an excuse by some FutureShop employee to not having the product in stock or trying to make a sale on the premise that they won't be able to get them much longer.