View Full Version : Relational Outlook for PC & PPC Please!

PocketRocket
09-22-2002, 07:30 PM
:wink: Hi All:

The killer app for me - on both the PC and PocketPC - would be Outlook with relational database storage structure - or if you prefer thinking of it this way: Access with all the functionality of Calenders and Outlook built-in. The latter IS possible - using one to many links from contacts to events and to email - but only if you can write VB code. I can't.

As things stand, I have to make a compromise: I either:
1. use a free-form database but loose the linked calender/email features
2. use outlook but loose the free-form database
3. get locked into a proprietary 3rd party vertical solution

I choose #2, but it wasn't a happy compromise. Not a day goes by when I don't miss the flexibity of having a relational database and having to squash the data into a flat file format. I tried to improve on this situation on the desktop by using custom designed outlook forms with many links and many custom fields - a kind of pseudo-database structure.

But now I want to start using a PocketPC, I have to abandon those forms and revert to using standard (ie. default/built-in) forms and fields. Why? Because Pocket Outlook (and even LookOut) doesn't support custom fields/forms. So now I'm even more cramped. Hell, LookOut doesn't even support Default Contact Fields: "User Field 1-4". So I doubt Pocket OL does. (Could someone confirm this?)

At least if I had those "User Field 1-4", I could add really useful information such as "type". Let me illustrate:

I have 4 different businesses. Within each business, a contact can be a Partner, Client, Vendor, or Investor. In turn, each of these categories can be either Prospective, Active, Dormant, or Extinct.

Now, if I use categories alone for this then I have I need 64 categories:

Business 1: Partner: Prospective
Business 1: Partner: Active
..etc.

That's pretty unwieldy.

If however I am blessed with just ONE user definable field - say default "User Field 1" - then I can use this for one of these 3 elements (Business, Type of Contact, Status of Contact) - and so cut down to 16 categories.

If I have use of 2 user fields, then I need only 4 categories, 3 user fields and I don't need any categories.

For this to work, of course, Pocket Outlook or Lookout would need to support contact filtering that Outlook on the desktop does (View: Current View: Define Views: Modify: Filter), but surely MS could get that together.

Bottom Line: Granted what I really need is an Access/Outlook hybrid. However, in lieu of that, even the addition of JUST A FEW user controllable fields and filters would make a huge impact on organizability for me.

An Access/Outlook hybrid would be so useful to so many folks I know, that the only reason I can think MS hasn't made it is to keep 3rd party integrators in business - but since when has MS followed that attitude? So it's a mystery.

I would be delighted for any knowledge that prooves otherwise, but as things stand today, I believe my only option is to use Pocket Outlook and hundreds of categories, or Pocket Lookout and hundreds of folders.

:idea: PocketRocket

acollet
09-22-2002, 10:59 PM
Lotus Notes :lol:

PocketRocket
09-23-2002, 01:41 AM
Please tell me more. Anyone had experiece with "Pocket Notes" :?: Does it read data from the server, or store locally :?: Is there a local RDB in the PocketPC - like a "Pocket Domino" :?:

I visited http://www.lotus.com/products/wireless.nsf
.. but had a hard time wading through the marketecture to get to what I needed. Any guidance appreciated.

I've often pondered moving from OL/Exchange to Notes/Domino - for the single reason that they have apparently done things properly - ie. with relational database integration, rather than quasi relational flat file with a jungle of links. Apparently MS is fineally going to get it together with some sort of OL to SQL Server field synchronization - but only then in packaged vertical solutions as part of their Great Plain CRM line.

acollet
09-23-2002, 02:14 AM
If you want to syncronize Lotus Notes data with Pocket PC, the BEST option is m-Notes. You can obtain an evaluation version here: http://www.commontime.com. This product is reliable, FAST, and just does NOT fail. You can also get m-forms if wich allows you to syncronize other databases (non mail / calendaring) to your device. The m-notes product also allows you to syncronize multiple (up to 4) Lotus Notes Mail, Address Book, Calendar and To-Do databases.

PocketRocket
09-24-2002, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the m-notes link - it looks like a good product.

I was exited about the idea of a user-friendly out-of-the-box proper relational database being within reach for managing my contacts - in the form of Notes - requiring only "MS Access - Level" GUI database creation skills I have.

Alas, after much research it appears that out-of-the-box Notes organizes contacts flat-file style with categories, just like Outlook. In fact, out-of-the-box, it seems to have more power for organizing documents than it does contacts, but maybe even that it too optimistic.

So to create what I need with Notes-Domino isn't going to be any easier than creating it with Outlook-Exchange. In both cases it's going to require the services of a technical developer.

Sad day indeed. :cry: