View Full Version : E&B Case for e740

bigkingfun
09-21-2002, 10:35 PM
I just received the E&B Slipper case for my e740. Naturally, the day I receive it I also receive an email from Vaja letting me know they have a case available now for the e740.

My question is can anyone give me any advice on the two cases? The E&B case doesn't have a hole for the headphones or any slots in the flip cover for SD cards, both of which the Vaja has. I'm also not crazy about the belt clip E&B uses - it seems like it would be easier to unhook accidentally than with the Ultra clip (which I believe Vaja uses).

I'm 90% sure I'm going to return this one and order the Vaja, but I thought I would look for some opinions either way just to be sure.

lonewolf69
09-22-2002, 03:23 PM
BigKing,

Thanks for the info on the Vaja case, I went to their website to look at it and here are my thoughts on it.

There is a snap/latch on the bottom of the cover, in other words if you "close" the close you'll have to wrap the latch under the e740 and "attach/click" it to the BACK of the unit...

BOTH sides of the VAJA case is covered towards the bottom so WHEN (not IF) you sync the e740 you'll need to remove it from the case (if using the cradle... (PS> I have NO Idea if the bottom has a USB passthrough hole, if not, you'll need to remove e740 out of the VAJA case as well...

For these two reasons alone, I'm going to pass on the VAJA case... Yes I do know that the EB case doesn't have headphone jack hole but my handy drill and drill bit took care of that... :D

I especially like the MAGNETS that hold the lid in place... For me aside from the lack of a headphone jack, I hold the EB cases e740 model a cut above the rest...

-Alex

BTW, there are two SD slots for the EB case look again carefully... :D

Michael G.
09-23-2002, 05:27 PM
Hi there,

Anyone have a link to these cases so I can check them out?

Thanks,

Mike

bigkingfun
09-23-2002, 06:32 PM
BTW, there are two SD slots for the EB case look again carefully... :D

I found them - thanks. Thanks for the advice too - I'm still torn but having to take the e740 out of the case to cradle it would be a pain with the Vaja. I guess I'll keep debating with myself :)

As to the previous post, here are the links for the two cases...

http://www.ebcases.com/Detail.bok/d8c8e03cf077c8e604da?&category=Toshiba+E740&start=1&total=3&no=168

http://www.vajacases.com/Vaja/catalogo.nsf/(ViewPPEN)?OpenView&Cat=e740

juan_chiriboga
10-02-2002, 12:39 PM
Has anyone tried the e740 Expansys Chairman case. Looks to me a lot nicer than the Vaja or the E&B....

http://www.expansys.com/product.aspcode=PFRAMA_E740T&asource=TOSH_E740

lonewolf69
10-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Juan Chiriboga,

Hey, thanks for the link for this Chairman case from Expansys!!! It looks REALLY REALLY nice!!!! However, for me, there are THREE (3) problems with the case...

1. Latch, I don't like a latch that folds over the case (that little strip of leather on the FLAP to LOCK the FLAP in place...)

2. Unit will NOT be able to DOCK in the case, you'll have to remove it out of the leather case just to DOCK/SYNC the unit...

3. Plastic belt clip loop on the CASE itself (ROUND plastic tab on the BACK of the CHAIRMAN case itself). I've had plenty of experience with this type of clip, Nokia 6100 Cell phone, Palm Pilot belt case, Palm VX Belt case, in every instance, after about 6 ~ 8 months that little plastic tabs wears away to nothing and then breaks off... Why? Because as you are walking day to day with your unit, the unit will rock back and forth, and like a hacksaw start rubbing away at the plastic clip until it eventually falls off... That is why a lot of vendors have switched over to a METAL clip instead... (BTW. This is VERY VERY easily done and Expansys/Chairman can easily substitute this part out....)

I do LIKE/LOVE the following:

1. Multiple, upon Multiple pockets for storing lots of cards, business cards, credit cards, SD cards, etc...

2. Headphone jack, CF and SD slots as well!!!! Tre cool!!!

However, for me these two bonuses cannot outweigh the benefits of syncing with the case still attached so for ME (IMHO) the E&B case still wins out... Take everything I've stated with a grain of salt as your individual tastes and needs will be different from mine (YMMV)...

Enjoy!

-Alex

bigkingfun
10-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Just as a follow-up, in case anyone's interested, I received my Vaja case today. All I can say is WOW. The fit and finish on this case is amazing. The E&B case I had was pretty nice, but this Vaja really outshines it. Little touches like a wire screen over the speaker hole make a difference too.

The Vaja won't go into the cradle like the E&B, so that is one downside, but it has access to the power and USB on the bottom of the unit so it could be synced with a direct cable or wifi. I think I'll be using wifi to sync and just plug it in while in the case to charge. The only other negative I can see on the Vaja is the wifi on/off switch is covered up. If you use the hardware switch very often to turn wifi on and off, it would be a pain.

When I first saw the Vaja cases I thought $50 for a case was nuts, but I'm eating my words. It's a close call whether this case or the Write Shields are the best add-on I've bought for the e740.

lonewolf69
10-09-2002, 01:36 AM
Bigkingfun,

Great review, almost (almost) makes me want to purchase the Vaja case... My only other pet peeve about the case (aside from not syncing to the cradle), is of course the latch to keep the lid on...

Hell, maybe I'll just buy the case also as a spare!!! :D

BTW, I agree with you 100% the write shields from pocketpctechs are tremendous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Alex