View Full Version : What wireless router brands have you used with your e740?

fracguru
09-18-2002, 04:30 PM
I have a Aerolan Friendlynet wireless router and have been unable to get my e740 to talk to it. The PDA detects the router, but I can't get connected to the internet.

After trying tech help from both Toshiba and the router folks, I have given up. The consensus seemed to be that the router was the issue.

So I am curious what wireless access points everyone is using.

And do you think I should keep trying with mine? It is using 802.11b technology. Does it make sense that they won't talk to each other?

fracguru

Dave Beauvais
09-18-2002, 05:17 PM
I have used my e740 with both the Linksys WAP11 v1.0 (original hardware revision) and one of the new WAP11 v2.2 (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=429) access points. The only thing I had to do was change the "authentication type" on the access point to "Open System." Anything else and the e740 wouldn't associate. I have also successfully used my e740 with a client's Linksys BEFW11S4 v2 (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=415) router/access point.

One more thing to consider is firmware; always make sure you're using the most current version of the firmware for your wireless equipment. My client had problems connecting to her BEFW11S4 router with her Socket WLAN (http://www.socketcom.com/product/wlan.htm)-equipped iPAQ. I tried with my e740 and was also unable to connect. Updating the firmware in the router corrected the problem.

When initially setting things up, don't enable WEP encryption or any other form of security. Once things are working without it then you can start trying various security settings. Really I had no problems getting my e740 connected via my WAP11. I'd used my Socket Wireless CF card with my old Casio E-200, so the access point was already configured properly. (I have since replaced my original WAP11 v1.0 with the new WAP11 v2.2 and had no real problems with it, either.)

--Dave

MobiliT
09-18-2002, 08:59 PM
One more thing to consider is firmware; always make sure you're using the most current version of the firmware for your wireless equipment.

Updating the firmware in the router corrected the problem.
Excellent advice. I bought a D-Link DI-614+ wireless router. My e740 would not work until I updated the router firmware. Even though the product had just been released when I purchased it, there was a newer version of firmware on the manufacturer's website.

fracguru
09-20-2002, 05:07 AM
BTW,

I finally got my e740 to work with my router. It is an Asante Friendlynet wireless router. Just needed to get into the router and set the channel to 10 and make sure the SSIDs were ok.

fracguru

rlaustin
09-22-2002, 05:58 AM
I bought the SMC Barricade Router Model 'SMC7004AWBR'. The range is pretty good and setting up was a charm.

:D

Thinkingmandavid
09-22-2002, 03:03 PM
now these are good posts. The firmware is important, it is usually simple stuff like these that we tend to over look. I like everyone else just assume that things will work right out of the package without any effort of my own into it. wow, come to think of it that would be nice:)