View Full Version : Into the 21st Century I dive

marlof
09-13-2002, 07:09 PM
The last two days I've been working on finetuning my new internet connection. On Wednesday they installed a cable modem to my home. Finally they were able to offer service in my street! So it was time to get a router, some USB adaptors for the desktops and a PC Card for the notebook. On the advice of some knowledgeable people I have chosen a full Linksys system. And that's how I ended up with a <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005ARK3/jasondunn-20">BEFW11S4</a> router/WiFi access point, two <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005AW1H/jasondunn-20">WUSB11</a> USB WiFi adaptors and a <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000056SSM/jasondunn-20">WPC11</a> PC Card [affiliate links]. I was amazed at how plug-and-play the setup was. By following the instructions, everything worked smoothly. And - other than with Andy - nothing was broken, so I had no problem there.<br /><br />My only problem was finding a good location for the WiFi access point. I live in a new house, and they apparently loved to use tons of enforced concrete. My good friend Ray Cheshire dubbed my house "the bunker", so that might give you a good idea. At first, the WiFi didn't get through to the first floor, but I've fiddled as long with the place of the router as was necessary to get any reception in my living room on the first floor. I still couldn't get any good reception, and that's when I tried one of the USB adaptors in stead of the PC Card. Right now, the USB adaptor gets a good reception on the first floor where the PC Card gets none in the same spots. The only way to get any signal on the first floor is when I place the notebook on the floor, right above the antenna of the WiFi access point. After that experience I've read some reviews on the WPC11 card. The lack of range seems to be one of the recurring complaints about this card. I guess I should not have gotten that one. Any ideas on a good replacement for the PC Card?<br /><br />I can't use my Pocket PCs yet with the WiFi, as I don't have a CF card yet, nor do I have a PC Card sleeve for my devices. I have a Socket card on order and have good hopes as Andy told me his Socket card is a little miracle when it comes to reception. So when I get that one, I'll report back on how well it does. But in the mean time, I have to agree with Ed. When nothing is broken, WiFi is technology that simply works. With the current home use systems, even I was able to set it up without any outside help and that is a small miracle in itself.

gmelfissg
09-13-2002, 07:13 PM
Get an orinoco gold card, that's the only way to go.

Giuseppe Melfi :o

BevHoward
09-13-2002, 07:37 PM
antenna orientation sounds like an issue... pccard's horiztal, usb's vert.

play with the orientation of the ap and it's antenna

mjaffe
09-13-2002, 08:34 PM
Howdy...I agree with the Orinoco card (Agere, Lucent)..The beauty is you can hook up an external antenna....

M

dunneldeen
09-13-2002, 08:45 PM
You might try an add-on omnidirectional antenna. Go to www.google.com and search for "linksys antenna". There are even plenty of instructional web pages on how to make your own, if you are feeling industrious.

Also, try changing the direction of your antenna's. With a pole antenna sticking straight up (vertical), the RF pattern radiates outward horizonally (ie. on the same floor.) If you want the RF to traverse floors, lay the antenna horizontally. Try setting one antenna horizontal, and one vertical and see how that works too.

JonnoB
09-13-2002, 08:59 PM
When you get your symbol/socket CF card, be sure to set up an IP host mapping with pockethost and ActiveSync will be a dream.

claude4
09-13-2002, 09:07 PM
For what it is worth, I just bought an MA701 and use it with a D-Link 1000AP access point for my iPAQ 3850 and love it.

Claude H.

msprague
09-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Any ideas on a good replacement for the PC Card?
When you get your Socket card you can try it in your laptop and see if it has better range. You just need a cheap CF/PCMCIA adapter and the Symbol driver. You may want to check this topic (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=29178) that talks about the drivers. You will be able to compare range between the Socket card and your WPC11.

klinux
09-13-2002, 11:10 PM
MB: I too had the BEFW11S4 and WPC11 and the range was not too great either. I heard about Orinoco and gave it a shot. Without changing any setting my reception improved dramatically. I don't know if that is an option for you - borrow a friend's Orinoco card (silver and gold are the same, just different WEP) and see if it's a problem with WPC11 or is it a more general issue.

Also, have you updated the firmware on all the hardware equipments. That may help as well.

Good luck!

JackMDS
09-14-2002, 04:37 AM
The content of this link might help.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122

As for the iPaq I use D-Link CF Wireless card, it is inexpensive, and work as well as any other Wireless on iPaq.

With the new Mem Plug sleeve, CF mem on the side slot and CF wireless at the top with the blinking light looks very cool (feels like being Mr. Spoke)

To be honest iPaq for Internet surfing is really not very comfortable, and the iPaq in general is not very powerful when it comes to Wireless.

marlof
09-14-2002, 05:30 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions. I hear serveral Orinono/Avaya Silver or Gold, I hear one Netgear. Of both I've read other reports that compared to the WPC11 they have a far better range, so these are the ones I'd been thinking about myself. Will see if I can find any of those.

As for Bev: the direction of the anttena is no longer it. I've fiddled with that so long, that now at least the USB adaptor has reception. Before even that didn't. Still the PC Card can't seem to find it, not even if I hold my notebook so the antenna is aimed vertically.

I will keep you all updated on my experiences from time to time.

Janak Parekh
09-14-2002, 11:07 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. I hear serveral Orinono/Avaya Silver or Gold, I hear one Netgear. Of both I've read other reports that compared to the WPC11 they have a far better range, so these are the ones I'd been thinking about myself. Will see if I can find any of those.
Without a doubt, get the ORiNOCO Gold adapter. They are available internationally. Some of my friends have literally doubled their range with it. Besides, you can also buy a Range Extender antenna (http://www.orinocowireless.com/template.html?section=m57&page=110&envelope=93), which increases the range another 20% or so.

I don't think the Linksys base stations themselves have as much range issues, but if you do have some time and access to an ORiNOCO base station, consider the Broadband Gateway (BG-2000); I've been pretty happy with those. But start with the PC card first. The Linksys PC cards should be pulled off the market IMHO.

--bdj