View Full Version : T-Mobile PocketPC Phone Screen Question

MaestroXTreme
09-12-2002, 11:52 PM
I have been desperatly searching for a replacement to my Audiovox Maestro that broke a few weeks ago. I have also been looking for a cell phone replacement as my contract just expired and I hate my service. Amazon.com has that amazing deal on the T-Mobile with service contract (only 300 with rebates), and I was also looking at the Toshiba e310 (300 dollars with a 50 dollar rebate).

My question is that the T-Mobile is only capable of 4,096 colors. Is this noticeably different than the 64,000 or 65,000 I was used to on my Maestro? I am not going into heavy graphics for my PocketPC, I just want basic functions to look as they did on my Maestro, along the the PIM Applications and also some light games (BomberMan, PacMan, etc). I looked at picture of the T-Mobile screen, but can't really decide, because if you look at pictures of the Toshiba screen the colors look very washed out (which is not the case, the e310 is the best screen I have seen).

Please respond ASAP, need to make my decision in 48 hours.

Thank you

JonnoB
09-13-2002, 12:21 AM
Unless you are looking at photographs with a need of viewing in high-clarity the color differentiation, you won't care that the screen is 12-bit. It is otherwise just as bright and pretty as other TFT LCD screens.

MaestroXTreme
09-13-2002, 02:28 AM
That is good to know.

Does anyone else have any more feedback? Has anyone compared the screens face to face yet?

Jason Dunn
09-13-2002, 06:05 AM
Here's a little secret: all the core OS graphics and bitmaps are all 8 and 12 bit anyway - Microsoft didn't take advantage of the 16 bit capabilities. As long as you have a photo viewing program that dithers for 12 bit devices (most do), you're all set.