View Full Version : Give me global pricing!

Phunkphantom
09-12-2002, 05:37 PM
I can go to the airport, buy myself a return ticket ticket to New York.
Fly over, purchase myself a brand new e740 and it would still work out cheaper than if I walked round to my local electronics store and bought it there!

And why isnt global shipping available?

It seems to me that it must be eay to remove the risk of overseas shipping and a lot of warranties issued these days are global too, so why isnt it happening?
Pressure from the MFR's maybe?

JonnoB
09-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Tariffs, import duties, national taxes etc add alot to the cost of goods shipped out of the US. The US has one of the lowest sales-taxes and no national tax systems. In some states there is no sales tax at all. It is also against the law for one US state government to tax or levy a duite/tariff on goods from other states keeping things internal to the US very competitive. Once the entire world adopts a completely open and free trade on all goods everywhere (non-taxed and no levied tariffs) then I think worldwide supply and demand will take over and products will be relatively priced anywhere you go (excluding the cost of physical delivery)

Ravenswing
09-13-2002, 02:47 PM
I can go to the airport, buy myself a return ticket ticket to New York.
Fly over, purchase myself a brand new e740 and it would still work out cheaper than if I walked round to my local electronics store and bought it there!

Did you remember to add VAT? 'Cos you'll get clobbered by Customs on the way back unless you sneak it past them :D

Phunkphantom
09-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Id lose the box and keep all the inportant bits, They wouldnt be able to tell if had taken it out there with me!

Im not seriously considering going :D It just winds me up!

I bought the e570 as soon as it came out and now wish I had waited, I know people will say thats always the case, but i dont think so, my e570 would be perfect if I could just buy a keyboard for it, no car chargers availabe either (replaceble batt would have been nice too :lol: )

richard_b_scott
09-22-2002, 09:21 PM
Toshiba is not a US company and the e740 isn't made in the US, so there is no reason why the e740 should be more than 10% more expensive here than it is in NY (allowing for the tax difference).

As someone who has crossed the pond and now lives in the UK I can say that I have never seen a western country that is more accomodating to monopolistic commerce and anti-competitive business than the UK.

We get buggered on everything over here, from CD's to cars to electronics, you name it.

It is the land of cartels. The EU has confirmed it EVERY time they have investigated price fixing and 'excess profits' (in the economic sense) in any market this includes supermarkets, automotive and CDs (I'm sure there are others but those are the 3 reports of which I am aware).

Write your MP and the Guardian