View Full Version : e550g and USB hosting

jgrnt1
09-12-2002, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know if there is, or will be, a USB hosting adapter for the e550g? I travel a lot and want to bring all my music with me on a portable hard drive. Power is not a concern, since I will run it from the cigarette lighter. I have been considering several portable drives/enclosures with PC card interfaces, but I would like to avoid the $200 cost of the PC card adapter (I never did this with my iPAQ because of the additional cost of the adapter). I had been looking at an IBM Travelstar 8E -- 8GB with PC card adapter. There is a driver written for it which should work. It is only $57, but then I would need the PC card adapter. Archos has a 20GB drive, which is much smaller, for $170. It is compatible with USB1.1, USB2.0 and PC Card interfaces. I sent Archos a note asking about USB drivers for PPC 2002, but have not heard back yet.

I guess I could buy a dedicated mp3 player, but what fun is that? Archos makes a couple 20GB models for about $250, but then I would have an extra device in the car and no geek factor. :)