View Full Version : Wi-Fi to climb aboard modems

Jason Dunn
09-11-2002, 07:30 PM
<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1033-956409.html">http://news.com.com/2100-1033-956409.html</a><br /><br />Here's some welcome news! Imagine how easy it will for people to simply plug in their cable/DSL modem and have an active WiFi network! If high-speed providers adopt modems with this technology, it will help the deployment of Wifi networks a great deal. I hope that, by default, the Wifi chips will simply supply a pipe out to the 'Net and it will be isolated (and Firewalled) from any internal networking. Users would have the ability to connect it to their network, to get Wifi devices accessing network shares, but by default it would be secure. If it's not, this will just mean that clueless users will have a massive security hole in their network.<br /><br />"Wi-Fi chips for wireless home networks will be moving in with a roommate: broadband modems. Communications chipmaker Conexant Systems announced Tuesday that it is adding Intersil Wi-Fi chips to the semiconductors it builds for high-speed cable or digital subscriber line (DSL) modems. <br /><br />Such an integrated product will help manufacturers to build a set-top box that creates its own wireless network instead of just connecting to an outside wireless network. Normally Wi-Fi networking chips are located in hardware that hangs on a ceiling or wall and provides access within a 300-foot area. "(It is) the next step in the evolution of Wi-Fi," said Intersil spokesman Ron Paciello.""

jschloer
09-11-2002, 09:28 PM
I always wondered why no one had done this. Seemed to be a no brainer to me. Throw in a built in 100 mbps switch for a server or two and I can go from 3 little boxes to 1.

T-Will
09-11-2002, 10:27 PM
Why not have Cable Modem/DSL Modem/WLAN/LAN routers all in one device? As long as they have an off switch for the WLAN then security shouldn't be an issue unless it's turned on by default... :roll:

JonnoB
09-11-2002, 11:41 PM
I always wondered why no one had done this. Seemed to be a no brainer to me. Throw in a built in 100 mbps switch for a server or two and I can go from 3 little boxes to 1.

The integrated solutions are great, but sometimes not a good idea. Similar to the integrated pda/phone debate, an integrated broadband and wireless ap is frought with upgrade problems. If the device has 802.11b, when .11a is important, you have to replace your cable modem.

splintercell
09-12-2002, 02:27 AM
Why not have Cable Modem/DSL Modem/WLAN/LAN routers all in one device?

Here you go:

http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/sbg1000.html

Cable modem, wireless access point, switch with router, print server, and firewall. Even looks stylish. :wink:

BevHoward
09-12-2002, 03:12 AM
Another issue to consider, especially if the cablemodem is supplied by the provider, is it's ability to report the number of active connections back to the provider.

For that reason, I would much prefer a separate solution on my side of the connection where I was full control of the port blocking and distribution. IMHO, it's simply a matter of time before the isp's will address billing that reflects the number of home connections, and it isn't likely to be limited to "active" connections.

T-Will
09-12-2002, 06:02 AM
So if I have a router connected to my cable modem then AT&T can see how many people are using it at a time? How do I go about blocking them from seeing whose using it? Also how can I find the IP of my cable modem? Thanks!