View Full Version : Experience with T-Mobile crashing with incoming call?????

mty
09-09-2002, 04:37 PM
:?:
Before I buy at the discounted Amazon $300 price, what is the consensus on experience with T-mobile crashing with incoming calls???

I've seen it in a couple of reviews. How common is this?? Root cause??

User experiences much appreciated.

Thanks.

vagelis
09-18-2002, 06:17 AM
Yes, it occasionally happens. No particular conditions need to be present for its occurence. It seems that it is cell site specific, meaning network circumstances have an impact on whether it occurs or not. In addition, it happens more often if another notification bubble was already present prior to the incoming call notification bubble. At times tapping on the bubble vs. answering with the keys makes it lock.
However, the frequency of my experiences with this have become much less since I've had the unit upgraded to 64MB from ppctechs. It appears that the extra breathing room makes the entire OS perform in a more stable fashion. I know that there is also an 128MB upgrade, but the remaining is a (granted ultra-fast) RAMdisk, but the real benefit is gained with the additional OS RAM space. Just with the Phone app running, the OS requires 11-12MB, thus the 16MB normally alloted by the OS with 32MB of total RAM, is rather limiting.
Oh, and one other thing: I've used the unit since July 30th, I upgraded it in mid-August, and all in all I've had the lockups, maybe 6-7 times. I use it enough on a daily basis, have 15MB of Apps loaded in RAM and another 140MB worth of stuff in a 256MB SD card.
IMHO, the xda/T-Mobile ppcphone is worthy of consideration by anyone needing its capabilities.
:D

sullivanpt
09-19-2002, 08:07 PM
I live in the San Fran Bay Area and when I initially purchased the XDA I averaged 2 lock-ups a day. A number of possible fixes have been tried with apparent success.

For myself, I found that disabling the "T-Mobile" Today screen plug-in (followed by a soft-reset to make sure it's really unloaded) has made my device absolutely stable. No crashes or slowdowns.

As a phone, it's quite good enough. As a PDA it's superb! I used to run an iPaq 3835, and I can say that the XDA is far more responsive and stable.

Buy it!

Jason Dunn
09-20-2002, 12:33 AM
Well, FWIW, I have yet to have my XDA lock up on me with incoming calls - but then again, I don't get that many calls. :D

Thinkingmandavid
09-22-2002, 02:55 PM
I find all of the info here rather interesting. I am wondering if there is anyone in TExas that has had the same experience such as those listed or some other types of problems. We here from T-Mobile how good it is but we never hear about the faults with these devices and so all of this is interesting to me.
gee jason, I figured you to be getting lots of calls:)

Jason Dunn
09-22-2002, 05:50 PM
gee jason, I figured you to be getting lots of calls:)

Heh heh - nope. I make 20x more outgoing calls than receive calls. People IM me, email me, etc. Phones are pretty old skool. :lol: