View Full Version : Genio 550 SD Bug?

jimH
09-09-2002, 12:53 AM
I have noticed a problem with the Genio 550 after a soft reset and the "Store attachment to storage card" activated. The 550 renames the original SD card to SD card 2 and lists a SD card with the the email attachment directory and file. The original SD card also has the attachment directory.

I was wondering whether anyone else has noticed the problem?

apeguero
09-09-2002, 06:53 AM
Same here. I've had to revert to original setting which is to store the attachments to the device and not the storage card.

MattPatty
09-09-2002, 02:11 PM
Ive noticed the same but it does not seem to affect functionality.

jimH
09-09-2002, 02:36 PM
MattPatty,

Unfortunately, it affects the functionality of my system. I have many shortcuts that are no longer linked because of the change to SD Card 2. I would have to individually change each of these links. Besides being a tedious job, I'm not sure whether all of the programs will respond correctly since several of the program paths are also coded in the registry. That would be another tedious job to correct.

medic119
09-09-2002, 04:52 PM
Umm, won't ejecting the SD card, deleting the False SD Card Directory and maybe a soft reset before putting the SD card back in solve the problem??

Maybe not permanently, but its a work around. That should automatically reset the SD Card to SD Card since that directory no longer exists.

apeguero
09-09-2002, 06:20 PM
That's what I do. remove the SD card, delete the directory in the fake SD card, then delete the fake SD card, and then insert the real SD card. It names it back to "SD card" and restores the shorcuts. Pain the ass process. Hopefully they'll patch it.

jimH
09-09-2002, 08:51 PM
Well, I just got off the phone with Audiovox support. The tech said he had not heard of the problem before. I walked him through the problem and he could not duplicate it on his unit. Ultimately, he suggested I return the unit. I would suggest everyone with the same problem call Audiovox and let them know there is a problem in some units.

I guess I will go and exchange the unit. Before I do, I was wondering if it is a batch problem. My SS# begins with 820157xxxx.

I also questioned him about the joystick sensitivity. It is known that the joystick is sensitive. Apparently, it was a "fix" from the initial units where it wasn't sensitive and no one was able to win in a game.

jimH
09-10-2002, 03:53 AM
Well, I decided not to exchange the unit just yet. I was hoping Toshiba will realize the problem in some of its units. For those of you with the problem, it might help the process if you report it to Audiovox. Their tech support number is 800 229-1235.

Thanks.

michaelw
09-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Anyone experiencing problems with the backlight on the e550g ? I am not sure if it is a hardware issue (exchange) or a software issue.

What I have found is that the backlight switches off (and I can not turn it off) when I switch processor speed from 200 mhz to 400mhz.

On an another topic ... I purchased the compusa deal which includes the wifi CF card. Anyone having problems setting up the internet access. I have d-link accesspoint.

Thanks

Michael[/list][/url]

jimH
09-10-2002, 04:19 PM
michaelw,

You might want to head over to the Brighthand Forum. I believe there has been some discussion regarding the Ambicom card and the Genio 550G. Several solutions have been offered with apparent success.

Good luck.

apeguero
09-10-2002, 04:21 PM
My solution for this has been to uncheck the option to store the inbox data in the storage card.

jimH
09-12-2002, 12:26 AM
Good news. Paul from Audiovox has begun looking into the matter. In fact, he indicated that he would be gathering information from this forum as well as from the Toshiba Genio 550G forum on Brighthand. I would suggest we continue with our postings.

jimH
09-13-2002, 04:27 PM
:D I received a call from Paul of Audiovox tech support indicating that the postings from this forum as well as those from Brighthand regarding the problem will be send to Toshiba for consideration. He mentioned a week or two turnaround time for a response.

Thank you Paul for your initiative. You have been quite receptive to my concerns.

gdaswani
09-15-2002, 06:14 AM
jim, does this person have a direct phone number?

I want to give him a call and ask him why the PCCARD Addon doesn't work with PCCARDS that are non-modem, or non-mem..

jimH
09-15-2002, 10:40 PM
gdaswani,

I have his extension number at work. I will post it on Monday. However, each time I called the 800 tech number, I just asked for Paul. I would think you would have the same success.

Good luck.

jimH
09-16-2002, 05:00 AM
:) FYI, I posted the following message on Brighthand earlier:

Wow!! I got a call and fax from Paul on Friday afternoon, one day after he said he would send the info to Toshiba. The following is the response from Toshiba regarding the ghost listing with store attachments to storage card:

"GENIO will create the directory "SD CARD" in its "Main memory" if you run "Inbox" without memory card although you activate "Store attachments to storage." After that if you insert SD memory card, Pocket PC OS recognize the memory card as "SD Card2."

Solution:
Please delete the "SD Card" directory in the main memory of GENIO.

Caution:
If there is any attachments in the "SD Card" directory, please copy all the file into SD memory card before delete the directory."

This appears to solve the problem only if you do not subsequently soft reset the 550 with the SD card inserted in the unit. In fact, after several discussions with Paul and his colleagues, it is not recommended to soft reset the 550 with a memory card inserted in general. Not only does it solve the ghost card issue with Inbox, it also prevents possible corruption of the memory card. When I was soft resetting the 550 with a SD card inserted, I ended up with a corrupt card on several occasions. This must be the solution because I have not had any corruption since.

Being a long-term user of various Casios (E-105, E-115, and E-125), this is something new to get used to. Previously, I could reset with a storage card in the unit (CF or Microdrive) without ever corrupting the cards.

I was wondering whether this behavior is inherent in Pocket PC 2002 OS or is it just with the 550?

Regardless, the "solution" and precautions seem to work well. I can't fault Audiovox or Toshiba for their response time and effort. This is refreshing considering my past experience with Casio.

FrankOwen
09-19-2002, 04:28 PM
jim, does this person have a direct phone number?

I want to give him a call and ask him why the PCCARD Addon doesn't work with PCCARDS that are non-modem, or non-mem..

Jim,

I am not sure if you have recieved a answer for this question yet, but Ill try and help anyway. From what I have seen, the PC Card "Sled" attaches itself to the e550g via USB. This is the reason why Some modems, network cards, and WiFi cards will not work in the sled. The compaq "sled" was attached via a serial bus port. I hope this helps.

--Frank