View Full Version : PPC2K2 - Great connectivity features - CRAPPY implementation

lanwarrior
09-08-2002, 08:18 AM
The PPC2K2 have great connectivity features with the availability of making connections via BT, TCP/IP, USB, serial port, etc. But how it is implemented is surely crap.

First crap implementation is the CONNECTION MANAGER. MS attempts to do the network connection automatically, but it fails big time! The OS, Connection Manager, BT Software, Network Settings are all getting confused when one try to use a certain connections but the settings is changed somewhere.

Here's what I mean:
If you have a Socket WLAN card, it comes with its own software to set up the network settings (IP, etc.). However if you messed up with the settings in "Network Adapters" (Settings -> Connection), then the network connection may get broken.

Moreover, if you have GPRS via BT set in the "Connection Manager", you may need to sometime changes the settings to "My network card connect to Internet".

Getting confused yet? I am ! The OS and its related application simply doesn't know which adapter to bond (NIC, BT, serial, modem??)

The solution: Use the same network connection as the PPC2000.

Have a Network Connection folder just like Windows 2000/XP. You can select a particular network settings (i.e. modem, GPRS) and use an adapter of your choice (BT, 56K modem). When you want to connect to the net, start this Network connection.

MS, stop controlling HOW I want to connect to the Net!