View Full Version : I'm back...

Jason Dunn
09-07-2002, 06:40 AM
Well, I enjoyed having a week off from the site (front page posts at least - I've been in the forums). It's been a busy week for me working on <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735618739/jasondunn-20">the book</a>, and on Wednesday I had some fairly major dental surgery. All is well, and I'll be back full force on Monday. The time off has also given me a chance to think about the site and the community we have here - running this site should always be something I enjoy doing, and when I don't enjoy it, something is wrong. I think I've figured out what that "something" is - on Monday I'll let you know what that is. Now let's head into the weekend with some fun off-topic posts...<br /><br />It's good to be back.

wesk
09-07-2002, 06:49 AM
:D Welcome back Jason!!! :D

We missed you.

Wes

scrinch
09-07-2002, 06:49 AM
Hey Jason, we missed you! Welcome back. I'll be anxious to see what you've discovered was wrong. Don't let 'em get you down!

--scrinch

Rirath
09-07-2002, 08:16 AM
This could be interesting... or obvious, either way, welcome back. :)

squeeze
09-07-2002, 09:34 AM
Jason...glad you eventually got over it...welcome back. Hope you had time to work on your book. How many more pages left?

krisbrown
09-07-2002, 11:55 AM
I presume it will be avalaible in e-book format :lol:

(sorry couldn't resist)

batsai
09-07-2002, 01:14 PM
Jason- Hope you're recovering from your dental surgery (I know how that is, having had it twice by the time I was 16!!!) I (and my mother) are both anxiously awaiting your book- hope it's coming along well and it's good to have you back!

Paragon
09-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Hang in there Jason. It's very difficult to be passionate about something and not get worked up about it at times, especially here on the internet where people find it easier to say things that can be upsetting to others. The want (need) to retaliate becomes to much sometimes, which does take the fun out of it. This I know, it has happened to me too many times.

You are a valuable asset to the Pocket PC community so hang in there. Your friends here online, I think understand the pressures that can be put on someone like yourself who puts his all into a site like this.

Look what you have accomplished in a short time with this site. You have a large number of people making this a part of their daily life. Don't forget You are never going to please all the people all the time There are always going to be a few trolls. Even people who usually agree with you are going to be on the opposite side of an issue at times, and they may be just as passionate and say things that they maybe should say.

Glad to see your back.

Dave

BTW Ed, and Andy you guys did a great job the past few days taking up the slack.

Gen-M
09-07-2002, 02:35 PM
Welcome Back, Jason.

Is there something in the air? Both you and Steve Bush are teasing us about new directions for your web sites...to be announced Monday!

Enjoy the weekend :beer:

Jonathon Watkins
09-07-2002, 03:15 PM
Welcome back Jason. You know we appeciate your efforts. Please ignore the nay-sayers.

Now we'll just have to see what happens on Monday..... :?

curious
09-07-2002, 03:20 PM
:D I'm usually a lurker, but it's definitely worth a post to say welcome back, you were missed! :D

chrisnian
09-07-2002, 03:51 PM
I'm glad you're back Jason - we missed you (not that everyone else doesn't keep us entertained). :lol:

Guess I must be the nosey type, because I do care about your dental surgery and your book, just like it was interesting to follow your house building and wedding plans. :oops:

Keep up the good work - I hope the announcement on Monday isn't going to mean things change too much around here. Remember... If it ain't broke - don't fix it! :roll:

Welcome back.

ledowning
09-07-2002, 04:15 PM
Welcome back to the fold. Nice to see you have had a good week or so off. The other guys did a bang up job of posting to the site while you were recuperating, but you were missed. Can't wait till Monday now to see what you have up your sleeve.

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat......"

EricMCarson
09-07-2002, 04:16 PM
Glad you're back Jason! :onfire: I've been waiting for new posts from you for a while and have been combing the forums for your recent stuff. Hopefully Monday doesn't bring drastic changes, but I'm sure most of us will be eagerly anticipating the announcement.

kaiden.1
09-07-2002, 04:43 PM
Right on Jason! Your publishing now! :D Can't wait to hear the new off topic stuff! 8)

Joff
09-07-2002, 06:09 PM
Good to see you back Jason.
The majority of us here appreciate your work.

Cheers,
Joffrey

Bob Anderson
09-07-2002, 06:12 PM
Glad to see your going to be back Jason... it's weird going a whole week and not seeing your name on the first page as a poster! Like everyone else, let me just say, you truly are an asset to the PocketPC community, and NEVER let some fools ruin your contributions by their negative thoughts/comments/actions.

Later,

MultiMatt
09-07-2002, 06:16 PM
(sung to the tune of Welcome Back, Kotter)
"Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack....!!!"

:D

Matt

Macguy59
09-07-2002, 06:41 PM
Hmmmm seems a post in this thread got deleted. Why? I do support Jason and his site, but I saw nothing in the post to justify it's deletion. I hope there is not a "Steve Bush" attitude surfacing now on this site :(

Jason Dunn
09-07-2002, 06:53 PM
Hmmmm seems a post in this thread got deleted. Why? I do support Jason and his site, but I saw nothing in the post to justify it's deletion. I hope there is not a "Steve Bush" attitude surfacing now on this site :(

You may not have seen anything in that post to justify deletion, but I did, so I deleted it (and his follow-up post was far worse - his account has been suspended. And just to be clear, we're not talking about MultiMatt's post). That's the interesting thing here - I don't need to justify myself to you and everyone else, but historically I've been torturing myself because I felt like I had to. The question is, why? It's not your site, it's my site. :D

You'll find out more on Monday, but "Freedom of Speech" doesn't automatically extend to this site. It's not like people are paying my web hosting bill and have a "right" to say whatever they want. :!: Some people feel they have a right to say whatever they want, however they want, to whomever they want - that right exists in the "real world", but not necessarily on this site.

Paragon
09-07-2002, 07:34 PM
Jason

I am very disappointed to hear those comments come from you. Up til now I think you have done a great job with this site.

As you say it is your site. It is also my choice as to where I will participate, and I choose not to participate here any longer under those terms.

Please delete my account. I do not wish to be associated in any way with a site that feels it is their right to moderate peoples opinions.

There was nothing all that harmful in the posts you deleted. I guess it is ok for you to take shots at people you don't like but for the rest of us on the other side of the fence it...agree with Jason or have your posts deleted.

I'm surprised at you Jason. I thought better of you than this.

Dave Evans

MultiMatt
09-07-2002, 07:43 PM
There is a reason for Moderators on Discussion Boards, and this is a perfect example of why they are there.
Discussion Boards can be very helpful, but when the discussions get ugly (as they far too often do), it is the perogative of the Moderator to remove those posts. People have a tendancy to get brazen and downright rude, hiding behind the annonymity of the internet. There is no reason for the owner of a site to tolerate that!

If you feel offended by that, keep this in mind: that is listed in the rules and regulations of nearly every Discussion Board out there. People just don't bother to read that part, and they take it for granted that they can use someone else's forum to say anything that they wish.

That is simply not the case.

You can feel free to say what you want, provided it is in good taste and relevant to the Board.
Do that, and you have no reason to fear.
:wink:
Matt

denivan
09-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Way to handle the criticism dude, maybe you should have asked yourself whether that post would really affect your life and was worth deleting (you know, the way your wife says people should handle problems). I read his original post and frankly don't think there was anything wrong with it. Was his 'follow up' post that bad ?

Ed Hansberry
09-07-2002, 09:09 PM
I am very disappointed to hear those comments come from you. Up til now I think you have done a great job with this site.

As you say it is your site. It is also my choice as to were I will participate, and I choose not to participate here any longer under those terms.

Please delete my account. I do not wish to be associated in any way with a site that feels it is their right to moderate peoples opinions.
Isn't freedom of choice great? Jason has the right to moderate his site the way he sees fit and you have the right to leave. I love democracy! :way to go:

However, no one can moderate your opinion. No one but you. We can ask you not to voice it here, and through technology enforce that request, but you have the right to your opinion and can set your own site up to voice it.

jdhill
09-07-2002, 09:15 PM
It is possible to express differing opinions without being rude. While I didn't see the posts in question, I've seen more petty bickering occur here than I have in the past. I don't care much for it. Disagree without being disagreeable! If you want to engage in petty bickering (or worse), I suggest you frequent a site where that is the norm.

There is generally a good sense of community here. I'd like to keep it that way. If Jason has taken steps that you don't agree with then you are always welcome to (1) get a full money-back refund, and (2) delete Pocket PC Thoughts from your favorites.

Paragon
09-07-2002, 09:28 PM

As you say it is your site. It is also my choice as to were I will participate, and I choose not to participate here any longer under those terms.

Isn't freedom of choice great? Jason has the right to moderate his site the way he sees fit and you have the right to leave. I love democracy! :way to go:

However, no one can moderate your opinion. No one but you. We can ask you not to voice it here, and through technology enforce that request, but you have the right to your opinion and can set your own site up to voice it.

This is some statement coming from you Ed the one who once called a member here a fool, and an idiot because he disagreed with you. It's the double standard at work here that is the problem.

I don't agree with everything the individual said but deleting his membership for it is like killing a fly with a sledgehammer. The harder you clamp down on people the harder they try to be heard., and the more out of control things get. Imagine if that post was left alone, we wouldn't even be having this conversation now, it would all be forgotten.

Dave

Ed Hansberry
09-07-2002, 09:35 PM
This is some statement coming from you Ed the one who once called a member here a fool, and an idiot because he disagreed with you. It's the double standard at work here that is the problem.
Yup. I let bond/lowrent101 get to me. I should have wacked his and my posts. That isn't a double standard.

I hope you don't leave because you have been a great contributor to the site, but you do what you must. But Jason should no more have to explain himself on this board as to what he does and doesn't deem appropriate than you should have to explain what you do and don't deem appriopriate in your house.

Paul P
09-07-2002, 09:46 PM
How about just moving 'rude' posts to a new thread, called a 'rude' thread perhaps? I like to know what was said and why it was deemed objectionable. :lol: :?:

Ed Hansberry
09-07-2002, 09:48 PM
How about just moving 'rude' posts to a new thread, called a 'rude' thread perhaps? I like to know what was said and why it was deemed objectionable. :lol: :?:
Isn't that what the Jerry Springer show is for? :lol:

Paragon
09-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Ed

This issue is something I feel very strongly about as I'm sure Jason does in a different way.........HHmmm maybe I should take my own medicine from my post near the beginning of this thread.

Anyway I just don't like seeing peoples posts being deleted because they are critical of someone. Are they right when they do it NO. But to put forth an attitude that everyone will be censored in that manner I think is wrong and leads to even more problems. I think with every post we all make we leave ourselves open for criticism, and we should be able to take it without throwing a silencing blanket over everyone. This is exactly how Steve Bush found himself in a load of muck a year or so ago, because he tried to control everything everyone said.

Something like Jason is talking about is headed nowhere but into trouble, and I feel strongly enough about it to not want to be part of it. It's wrong to silence people that way so if you guys do it, it's without me as a member.

Dave

Jason Dunn
09-07-2002, 09:56 PM
There was nothing all that harmful in the posts you deleted. I guess it is ok for you to take shots at people you don't like but for the rest of us on the other side of the fence it...agree with Jason or have your posts deleted.

Gee, I haven't even posted my Thought on this and you've already condemned me - are you 100% sure you know what it is I'm going to say? :?

Look, a nicely worded "don't take this the wrong way" slam is still a slam. The original post that I deleted this morning was basically saying "I liked the site better without you here and I don't want to read about your book or your dental surgery". Sure, it was nicely worded, but it's still some anonymous guy using my forum, on my server, to tell me how to run my site. I have every right to delete that - it wasn't his opinion about Pocket PCs, it was his opinion about ME. Give me one good reason why I should allow people to say that to me? If they want to go register "jasonsucks.com" and rant aobut how bad of a person I am, they have that right. But why should I provide the platform for someone to bad mouth me, my friends, or my site?

This isn't about deleting posts that say "I like Palm" or anything similar - I'm not asking people to agree with everything I say. But people who don't have the intelligence to differtiate the OPINION from the PERSON simply don't belong here. I have no desire to provide them a forum to criticise, attack, and hurt other people, whether it's myself or another board member.

denivan
09-07-2002, 10:11 PM
Well Jason, in a way that guy was on topic ;) This thread was about you comming back, so you can't blame him for being off topic.

Anyway, I won't repeat what he said (not necessary), but I also had the same kind of feeling he had, maybe you could just have talked it out in PM instead of deleting his account. I didn't read his second post, but his first one was like you said pretty much nicely worded. Off course it was still criticism, but I think he tried to formulate it as inspiring criticism, you know, what could make the site better...I guess you kinda took it the wrong way.

Off course that's the downside of being a moderator, you delete an account before the person gets the chance to rephrase his words. I remember you attacked me once in a thread. I said I was hurt by it and you explained that you didn't actually mean what you wrote. If I was a moderator and had deleted your account, you wouldn't have had the chance to rephrase your words. Sometimes its best to give people a second chance because written words aren't allways the best form of communication and can be easily mis interpreted.

Anyway, if you feel like talking on this, you can allways PM or something like that, apparantly you don't feel like talking about yourself in the forums and I can't totally blaim you about that.

Paragon
09-07-2002, 10:14 PM
You'll find out more on Monday, but "Freedom of Speech" doesn't automatically extend to this site. It's not like people are paying my web hosting bill and have a "right" to say whatever they want. :!: Some people feel they have a right to say whatever they want, however they want, to whomever they want - that right exists in the "real world", but not necessarily on this site.

I think this gives a pretty good idea of where you are headed. It's a little to controlling for me

Any further participation in this discussion by me is only going to add more fuel to the fire than I already have.

Dave

Steven Cedrone
09-07-2002, 10:29 PM
There is a reason for Moderators on Discussion Boards, and this is a perfect example of why they are there.
Discussion Boards can be very helpful, but when the discussions get ugly (as they far too often do), it is the perogative of the Moderator to remove those posts. People have a tendancy to get brazen and downright rude, hiding behind the annonymity of the internet. There is no reason for the owner of a site to tolerate that!

If you feel offended by that, keep this in mind: that is listed in the rules and regulations of nearly every Discussion Board out there. People just don't bother to read that part, and they take it for granted that they can use someone else's forum to say anything that they wish.

That is simply not the case.

You can feel free to say what you want, provided it is in good taste and relevant to the Board.
Do that, and you have no reason to fear.
:wink:
Matt

Please review the following thread for guidelines pertaining to posts:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=801

I wanted to clear up one or two points:

1) I am the one that deleted the second post.
2) I made the user in question's account inactive (it has not been deleted).

I really don't feel that I need to justify my actions to anyone (except Jason) but in this case I will: There are ways to say things that are not rude, nasty and in poor taste. The post in question was an attack against Jason(and the second attack made (sugar-coated or not), with threats to continue attacking him). I would have acted the same way and done the same things if this person were attacking any of you as well.

If you do not want to participate in a discussion, that's fine. But don't jump into a thread and use it as a platform to attack a person (especially when the person you are attacking owns the board, and you dare him to do something about it in the name of "free speech")...

Please show respect for other community members and take a second to think about posts/replies before you hit the submit button.

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Jason Dunn
09-07-2002, 10:32 PM
...what could make the site better...I guess you kinda took it the wrong way.

The jist of his post was "Shut up, stop talking about yourself, and give me the news". How could I not take that personally? I actually sent him a PM after I deleted his post and suggested he check out www.pocketpcnewswire.com - it's raw news, no personality, and seemed like a good fit for him.

Off course that's the downside of being a moderator, you delete an account before the person gets the chance to rephrase his words.

His account wasn't deleted at all - it was suspended. It wasn't suspended until after his second post, and it was suspended by Steven, our Community Moderator, not me. I saw a copy of what Steven deleted, and it was pretty over the top - ranting about censorship, blah blah. I trust Steven's judgement. This thread is a pretty good example though of how some of you don't trust mine - it's pretty disheartening actually to see how little faith some of you have in me. It hurts to see someone like Paragon go, in the space of six posts, to being supportive to telling me that I'm making a big mistake and that he's leaving. It kinda' punches a hole in the ol' self-confidence you know? :?

Do you have any idea how emotionally taxing it is to run a site like this, constantly putting yourself and your personality into every post, only to be criticised for it? It's hard - really hard. It's so nice to see the encouragement from people, but I don't have very thick skin - all it takes is one person taking a swipe at me, and I get upset. I try not to, but sometimes I do. Then I ask myself "Why am I running this site?" - when the fun is gone, what's left? Obligation. It's like being trapped in a bad relationship... :lol:

...apparantly you don't feel like talking about yourself in the forums and I can't totally blaim you about that.

Uh...the whole problem that started this was that I apparently talk about myself TOO MUCH - or so some people think. :wink:

jdhill
09-07-2002, 10:42 PM
Somehow on page two of this thread, the whole thing 'went to hell in a handbasket'.

How about we all step back for a moment and try again.

Welcome back Jason! It's good to see your smiling avatar again!

Jason Dunn
09-07-2002, 10:53 PM
Somehow on page two of this thread, the whole thing 'went to hell in a handbasket'.

Tell me about it! Am I really that horrible of a person for deleting one post that I felt criticized me personally? Is everyone else truly immune to being criticized in a public forum read by 1000's of people?

Welcome back Jason! It's good to see your smiling avatar again!

Thanks! I think... :wink: Let's hope Monday is a better day. Sometimes I think back to the days before we had a way for people to respond to posts, and I wonder if it was perhaps better then.

Is one-way communication the solution? I talk to you, but you can only talk to me via email? So much would be lost (the community), but in the nearly two years I've been running this site, no one has EVER sent me a negative/flame email - why do people always opt to say mean things in public vs. sending a private email. If something is really important, isn't it better to say it directly to that person? I've never quite understood that dynamic of online community...well, the cynic in me has an answer, but I wonder if it's the right one?

denivan
09-07-2002, 10:56 PM
The jist of his post was "Shut up, stop talking about yourself, and give me the news". How could I not take that personally? I actually sent him a PM after I deleted his post and suggested he check out www.pocketpcnewswire.com - it's raw news, no personality, and seemed like a good fit for him.

Suits you for pointing him to a webpage that better fits his needs. What I meant to say was, I think the main point of his post was for you to 'relax' more and no get upset. Off course I still think you have the right to talk about your denture appointment. Can I talk about my gross toe operation this morning ? ;p

His account wasn't deleted at all - it was suspended. It wasn't suspended until after his second post, and it was suspended by Steven, our Community Moderator, not me. I saw a copy of what Steven deleted, and it was pretty over the top - ranting about censorship, blah blah. I trust Steven's judgement. This thread is a pretty good example though of how some of you don't trust mine - it's pretty disheartening actually to see how little faith some of you have in me. It hurts to see someone like Paragon go, in the space of six posts, to being supportive to telling me that I'm making a big mistake and that he's leaving. It kinda' punches a hole in the ol' self-confidence you know? :?

Yeah, but you can't blame him for having that feeling. If you say it was right to delete the post, then we will believe you. But if you say that you don't have to justify you, then alot of you readers will be disappointed (like paragon), it's a fine line, but it makes a difference. Off course you don't HAVE to justify yourself, but if you do, it makes the readers feel more involved an respected, catch my drift ?

Do you have any idea how emotionally taxing it is to run a site like this, constantly putting yourself and your personality into every post, only to be criticised for it? It's hard - really hard. It's so nice to see the encouragement from people, but I don't have very thick skin - all it takes is one person taking a swipe at me, and I get upset. I try not to, but sometimes I do. Then I ask myself "Why am I running this site?" - when the fun is gone, what's left? Obligation. It's like being trapped in a bad relationship... :lol:

Well, I have no idea, but I can imagine it to be taxing sometimes. All I can say is, take your wife's advise (she once said here in a post) : ask yourself if a post will affect your life five minutes later. If it doesn't, then don't get upset about it. Acting that way will make 'our relationship' :lol: much easier ;)

Uh...the whole problem that started this was that I apparently talk about myself TOO MUCH - or so some people think. :wink:

Just make a forum exclusively for posts about yourself ;) Can't promise I will read them though ;p

Janak Parekh
09-07-2002, 11:02 PM
I think this gives a pretty good idea of where you are headed. It's a little to controlling for me
Unfortunately, there's no "right" solution.

Take a look at one extreme: Slashdot / USENET newsgroups. There, the fact that there's anonymous posting, plus never the deletion of a message, leads to a very abrasive community. Both are filled with insightful, controversial posts, but there is an absolute ton of garbage and thoughtless flames. While there is community-based moderation to help it, there are a million problems with the Slashdot system, and there have been some spectacular controversies and alleged coverups (including the notion of "bitchslapping"--apologies for the use of the phrase, but that was the specific term). Kuro5hin (www.kuro5hin.org) tries to solve some of these problems, but it's a very taxing and time-consuming approach to providing close-to-uncensored community voice, and has its ups and downs too.

On the other hand, you have a lot of these boards, where the owner retains the right to say that "I do retain the final right to allow or revoke your messages." PDABuzz, Brighthand, et. al. have all been like this. In general, you get quieter, cleaner discussions, generally higher quality overall, but you do face the inevitable post deletion for a variety of reasons. PPCPassion falls somewhere in the middle, in that they delete messages less often, but then there have been several nasty flamewars that kept on going and going because those posts weren't deleted.

I hate to say this, but unless you're willing to put up with the crap, you will sooner or later find some moderation on any board that will raise your heckle. Sit back and think about whether you really think the conversation and the site's value to you has been negatively affected by it; don't think that this is a impingement on your free speech, because we don't have free speech right on someone else's board, sometimes for the benefit of all of us.

If it has, then by all means leave, but idealism rarely works in Internet communities, in my opinion.

--bdj

Jonathon Watkins
09-07-2002, 11:09 PM
Wow, this is getting pretty intense. 8O I read what the guy said about Jason and I thought it was obnoxious and nasty, though politely put. :vamp: This is Jason’s site, just like Brighthand is Steve’s site and PDABuzz was Wes’s site. If someone had attacked anyone of us in the same way – the post probably would have been deleted – as it should be in a well run board. What is so different about a post attacking a member being deleted? :?: OK – the member was also the owner, but that’s the only difference. The original posted responded aggressively after being warned and his account was suspended. Again, in a well run board this does happen.

A storm in a teacup can still result in people being scalded. I hope we can all calm down and see what Jason will actually say – though why don’t you just say it now Jason as you have us all curious? :?:

Paragon
09-07-2002, 11:12 PM
Well after sitting here thinking about this whole issue I have to say that I think I have over reacted. I just feel very strongly about censuring peoples opinions and when I saw Jason's post I got my back up. IT WAS WRONG OF ME TO DO THAT. I apologize to Jason an anyone else I may have offended. I ended up throwing a lot more fuel on a fire that likely would have gone out without my help.

I believe that Jason has done a great job here. I can't imagine what it is like to have everyone judge your every move on an open forum. I do know that I don't have skin anywhere near thick enough for it.

While I still don't agree with the action of deleting the posts I don't think it warrants the reaction and resulting fiasco I cause by the way I handled it.

So...I got my new T-Mobile a couple of days ago :-)

Dave

Jonathon Watkins
09-07-2002, 11:20 PM
Well said Dave. It takes a big man to apologise. Let's just calm it down a few notches.
So...I got my new T-Mobile a couple of days ago :-)
Good for you! Let us know how you get on with it. :wink:

Jason Dunn
09-07-2002, 11:20 PM
Well, I certainly didn't get dentures - I'm not THAT old! :lol: If you must know, it was a gum graft. They cut into the roof of my mouth to get usable tissue, cut my upper left and lower left front gums, lowered them, then grafted the palette tissue over it. I had 15 years of orthodonics and as a result my teeth are a little screwy - my gums are receeding and if the problem isn't fixed, when I'm in my 30's I probably WILL need dentures. At the moment I have a mouth full of a plastercine &lt;sp?> like substance and stitches. It's not a nice feeling. :robot:

Perhaps it might explain my somewhat surly mood today. :roll:

If you say it was right to delete the post, then we will believe you. But if you say that you don't have to justify you, then alot of you readers will be disappointed (like paragon), it's a fine line, but it makes a difference. Off course you don't HAVE to justify yourself, but if you do, it makes the readers feel more involved an respected, catch my drift ?

I understand what you're saying. It seems my post came off more arrogant sounding than I meant it to me - I wasn't implying "This is my site, you can all just go to hell". The community here is very important to me, and I don't want to start being heavy-handed with it. What I was really trying to say is that I felt like I finally understood that as the site owner, I had the right to run the site the way I wanted it to be run. That if running the site a certain way made me miserable, I needed to either shut the site down or find a new approach. The new approach isn't that different from the old approach.

Before this one incident, did I give off a "I don't have to explain myself to you" vibe?

cowabunga2
09-07-2002, 11:21 PM
Well, for all of you who don't know who I am, I am the person that JASON deleted, yes deleted not suspended! First of all lets see if he lets me state my THOUGHT!

1) First of all Who cares about your teeth and what does this have to do with PocketPC's?

2) Why do you always threaten us of leaving and then have everyone cry for you to come back. Is this an ego deficiency? :werenotworthy:

3) This might be your site, but who's actually is paying for it? As you know and have stated in your prior posts "Sonic Mobility" hosts your site for free. So please dont throw this "I Pay for this site" because you don't!

4) Every item you throw up is always an affiliate link and then you have to state "AFFILIATE LINK" comon thats more reason why I WON'T purchase the product.

5) Do us a favor and don't post old "Rejected" reviews you wrote for Microsoft, they didn't want it for a reason, please do us a favor and warn us !

Since this might or might not stay Ill just keep posting this if you delete me again, since I do have a right to say my thoughts! You truly should just face the facts and notice you are burnt! Hppefully you'll come to reality because someone needs to tell you, IT'S OVER JOHNNY! :2gunfire:

cowabunga2
09-07-2002, 11:22 PM
Well, for all of you who don't know who I am, I am the person that JASON deleted, yes deleted not suspended! First of all lets see if he lets me state my THOUGHT!

1) First of all Who cares about your teeth and what does this have to do with PocketPC's?

2) Why do you always threaten us of leaving and then have everyone cry for you to come back. Is this an ego deficiency? :werenotworthy:

3) This might be your site, but who's actually is paying for it? As you know and have stated in your prior posts "Sonic Mobility" hosts your site for free. So please dont throw this "I Pay for this site" because you don't!

4) Every item you throw up is always an affiliate link and then you have to state "AFFILIATE LINK" comon thats more reason why I WON'T purchase the product.

5) Do us a favor and don't post old "Rejected" reviews you wrote for Microsoft, they didn't want it for a reason, please do us a favor and warn us !

Since this might or might not stay Ill just keep posting this if you delete me again, since I do have a right to say my thoughts! You truly should just face the facts and notice you are burnt! Hppefully you'll come to reality because someone needs to tell you, IT'S OVER JOHNNY! :2gunfire:

denivan
09-08-2002, 12:09 AM
Well, I certainly didn't get dentures - I'm not THAT old! :lol: If you must know, it was a gum graft. They cut into the roof of my mouth to get usable tissue, cut my upper left and lower left front gums, lowered them, then grafted the palette tissue over it. I had 15 years of orthodonics and as a result my teeth are a little screwy - my gums are receeding and if the problem isn't fixed, when I'm in my 30's I probably WILL need dentures. At the moment I have a mouth full of a plastercine &lt;sp?> like substance and stitches. It's not a nice feeling. :robot:

The dentures thing was not an intended pun, just my crappy english ;) I understand a little bit how you feel though, my toe was operated this morning and I'm not in the best mood either ;)

I understand what you're saying. It seems my post came off more arrogant sounding than I meant it to me - I wasn't implying "This is my site, you can all just go to hell". The community here is very important to me, and I don't want to start being heavy-handed with it. What I was really trying to say is that I felt like I finally understood that as the site owner, I had the right to run the site the way I wanted it to be run. That if running the site a certain way made me miserable, I needed to either shut the site down or find a new approach. The new approach isn't that different from the old approach.

Before this one incident, did I give off a "I don't have to explain myself to you" vibe?

Well, your initial response felt indeed like you were the uberdork of this forum and were allowed to slap us lesser dorks ;) That didn't give me a good feeling, although I now understand that wasn't what you meant. Btw, if the guy's second response was anything like the new post he just made then I certainly don't blame the mods for deleting it. There's nothing wrong with criticism as long as its constructive, not destructive imo (like the ones that were just made).

Abouth the 'vibe', in the posts about pt's e-books you indeed gave a bit that vibe although I must admit nobody in that thread was objective anymore. Btw, just had a small conversation with your wife over PM, read my comments that I send to her, it might do the site some good. Anywayz, glad your back :P

FedUp
09-08-2002, 12:28 AM

Blah, blah, blah, blah...

Frankly, I think Jason's letting THIS post stand is evidence of his trying to be objective. It's more than I would have done.

I like Jason's points about freedom of speech. Freedom of speech refers to not being prosecuted for speaking out against the government and has absolutely nothing to do with forcing a Web host to allow you to use his resources as a platform for your rantings.

You and five or six other readers of the thousands that visit this site seem to thrive on messing things up for the rest of us by spouting your vitriol. Do us all a favor and quit threatening to stop posting and JUST STOP POSTING.

And, while you're at it:

1. Sell your Spiderman comic book collection and buy a life.
2. Move out of your parents' basement and join the real world.
3. Grow up.

Jason Dunn
09-08-2002, 12:34 AM
Thanks for coming back and posting this (twice too - I'm so lucky!). I think it proves, beyond a doubt, your true intentions with your original post (and what I saw when I read between the lines). To those who criticized me for deleting his original post, looking at what he posted this time, can you blame me? This is the kind of thing that I simply have no patience for anymore - drive by attacks by an anonymous person hiding behind an IP masking service (http://freeregister.idzap.com/register.php).

And now, watch in awe as I waste more time reasoning with him instead of deleting his post (which is what is causing so much ruckus here)...

I'm more than pleased to give you enough rope to hang yourself - thanks for doing so. :wink: I've just enabled your account, so try logging in again and you'll see that it was NEVER deleted - merely suspended. If you had emailed me privately to discuss why it was suspended, I would have told you.

Perhaps you're new here? This site started out as a personal Blog, and myself and the other contributors all inject our own personality into the site, including significant life events. Most people who like the site mention that they enjoy hearing bits and pieces about our lives - it makes them feel closer to us, more like a family, and it make this site unique. I merely mentioned that I had some major dental work done - it's not like I did a whole post on it! What's wrong with me mentioning one of the reasons why I took some time off? Nothing. The fact that it upsets you such much is pretty sad. :roll:

2) Why do you always threaten us of leaving and then have everyone cry for you to come back. Is this an ego deficiency?

Thanks for the flame!

I pay for this site with the most valuable asset I have - my time. I'm self employed, so when I'm working on this site, I'm not doing paying work - therefore, it DOES cost me money. And instead of working on an overdue chapter for my book, I'm sitting here typing out a response to you. Again, costly. But now that you mention it, last week I registered a server over at Rackshack.com and we'll be moving there shortly. And guess what? I'm paying for it. So what's your point again?

Tell you what: quit your day job, start up a web site, and try to make a living off of it. Contact me in six months and maybe you'll understand what it's like.

That'a awfully nice of you - thanks for the support. :roll: For your information, the reason I post "affiliate link" is to denote when something we're posting on has a financial benefit to the site. I didn't used to do it, but someone asked if I could, and so it became policy. If it makes people feel better about knowing whether or not I'm making money if they buy it, then I'll do it. Every item we post on is not an affiliate link - I'd say probably 50% is looking at all the hardware & software we post on.

Yet another insult! How lucky am I? Underneath the heading of every article it says the article was an un-published PocketPC.com article. Is the font too small for you to read? As for "rejected", well, unless your name is Beth Goza or Derek Brown, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Truly, your razor wit and keen grasp of the English language has defeated me. Woe is me, I am defeated, woe is me.

:lol:

I'll let you rant here for a bit to prove my point, and then both your user IDs and your IP will be banned - assuming the general community approves of course. :wink:

Janak Parekh
09-08-2002, 12:44 AM
Thanks for coming back and posting this (twice too - I'm so lucky!).
See, he's not even a good troll -- a good one stirs up just enough to start a flamewar, but doesn't come completely out from under the bridge to look like an idiot, at which point people cease arguing and start laughing at him. I think he ended the argument most effectively. :lol:

Re banning his IP: if he's using an IP anonymizer, does that mean you'll block that anonymizer's entire IP address set? Just out of curiosity (and no, I'm not the troll ;))

--bdj

EricMCarson
09-08-2002, 12:44 AM
Drop the flamer Jason. I don't come to this site to see psychos attack other users. I'm looking forward to the return to normalcy (like the awesome reviews). I don't buy anything without first checking this site and certainly need the constant source of reviews.

Jason Dunn
09-08-2002, 12:50 AM
Re banning his IP: if he's using an IP anonymizer, does that mean you'll block that anonymizer's entire IP address set? Just out of curiosity (and no, I'm not the troll ;))

I've contacted the service provider - they have no policy that I could find on member behaviour or what they consider abuse. I've asked them to kill his account, but if they don't, then yes, I'll have no choice but to ban thier entire IP address range - no one who uses their service will be able to post to this site.

Just my opinion, but services like this only seem to encourage people to be rude and obnoxious - it gives them a layer of protection against being responsible for thier actions.

Janak Parekh
09-08-2002, 12:54 AM
Just my opinion, but services like this only seem to encourage people to be rude and obnoxious - it gives them a layer of protection against being responsible for thier actions.
Well, anonymity (or lack thereof) is a double-edged sword. I support the concept of IP anonymizers, in that it prevents Big Brother in the future from tracking what we do and what we say. Unfortunately the realities rarely match such ideal goals. On the other hand, I'm not super-keen on having complete traceability on the Internet in the future.

--bdj

krisbrown
09-08-2002, 01:04 AM
I visit this site every day and will continue to do so as long as it's up,
I have been to all the other sites but this one is the most entertaining.

I run a WAP site (yes there are a few of us left) myself and at first got pissed off with people, who's only contribution is to look at my site and flame it, just because they can and it gives them a little bit of power. I leave their comments in the guestbook and let the people who like the site shoot them down for me.

OK off topic, I live in Liverpool, England and the city is putting up 2 huge lamps for Sept 11th like they did in Newyork, should look good, but guess what it's my birthday, that's gonna be fun eh.

thenikjones
09-08-2002, 01:17 AM

Actually, this sort of article is what I found useful when I first got my PPC. It's better than the touchy-feely crap M$ have on their website at the moment - a change for the worse IMO.

Good to see you back Jason, I visit the site most days and find it useful. Anyone not interested in personal/off-topic posts should ignore them - is that really so difficult?

Nik

chrisnian
09-08-2002, 01:18 AM
I don't post a lot these days, but I'm with EricMCarson:

Drop the flamer Jason.

Like many others, I visit this site several times a day, and I do it because I like the format and the content. I also check out this site (and a couple of others) before I buy anything, because I like the reviews and value the views of the people on this site. :wink:

I've said this in the past, and I'll stick to my guns. If you don't like the site, or the way it's run... Don't Come Here. I for one will not miss you or your flames! :onfire:

Can we get back to the 'family' atmosphere now PLEASE! :grab:

Just my 2 cents.

Ian

thenikjones
09-08-2002, 01:29 AM
Well, I buggered that one up. What I meant to write was:

Actually, this sort of article is what I found useful when I first got my PPC. It's better than the touchy-feely crap M$ have on their website at the moment - a change for the worse IMO.

Good to see you back Jason, I visit the site most days and find it useful. Anyone not interested in personal/off-topic posts should ignore them - is that really so difficult?

Nik

Racer-X
09-08-2002, 01:37 AM
Drop the troll. This site has too much to offer than to put up with morons like that.

seeker
09-08-2002, 02:09 AM
There is no need to behave as he has behaved. His behavior demonstrates his disrespect for the community in general as well as Jason in particular.

He should go elsewhere. He has not earned the right to community membership.

That is my opinion. 8O

jdhill
09-08-2002, 02:16 AM
Well his post confirmed it, he has nothing of value to add to the community and he is exceptionally rude. I see no particular reason to continue to put up with his antics.

FedUp
09-08-2002, 02:38 AM
I say "can the flamer," too. Jason, you've set up a public forum, but that doesn't mean you have to allow this. Museums are public places, too, but that doesn't mean you have to let people spray paint on the walls.

alexboo
09-08-2002, 02:46 AM
:D Hi Jason. I have been lurking around for a while. Just register to show my support.
Cheers,
A.P
BTW: Yeap can the flamer

jeffmckean
09-08-2002, 05:40 AM
Ya, get rid of him. That's counterproductive. And who is it, really? Perhaps a competitor? One who doesn't know how to take the high road owing to some deficiency? Hmmm...

st63z
09-08-2002, 05:48 AM
We support Jason, now we need to show our support for Farscape, which /. says is being cancelled???

Rirath
09-08-2002, 08:43 AM
It seems this site is sitting right on the border at the moment. If for whatever reason you choose to drastically change the way the public interacts, I say go for it! When you get right down to it, your right... it is your site and I'd rather see you do it the way you feel is best. After all, that means better news and stories for us. Do what you feel is best for yourself, and best for the site.

Just keep in mind, Pocket PC Thoughts isn't some small time personal website owned and operated by one guy in his spare time. It's a massive and powerful site, with a huge community following. I consider it to be the top of Pocket PC news, and I'd like to see it stay there even if that means big changes.

PlayAgain?
09-08-2002, 12:55 PM
I'm under no illusion as to whether I'm on Jason's Speedcall list but as someone who is often regarded as a 'Jason Hater' (which I'm not), I want to add my two pennies worth.

If the changes to take place are going to result in a stricter, more rigid community where there is a measure of cnesorship, I say "great!"

Why?

Because it lets people know where they are and it will protect Jason from things that he find painful to deal with.

I do think that, generally speaking, people shouldn't take so personally anybody who thinks they are wrong, and at the end of the day, this site and lots of other sites like it (including one where I help moderate (http://www.allabouter6.com) are talking about machines, things, objects that are not alive.

What's needed is a sense of humour and a realisation that at the end of the day, we can't take out PDAs with us when we die, so they don't really matter enough to make us miserable.

I genuinely hope the dental treatment works for you Jason and that you've had the last you'll need. I haven't seen a dentist in almost 11 years because I am so scared of anything that involves poking me around, whether in my chops or otherwise. So get well soon.

cowabunga2
09-08-2002, 01:42 PM
You can keep deleting my posts! Since it is your board you have that right just as I have a right to say what I think! So here it is again.

1) Why do you always threaten us of leaving and then have everyone cry for you to come back. Is this an ego deficiency? :werenotworthy:

2) Since your site is hosted free at Sonic Mobility then you are making money on the site as you always B*TCH about how much is COSTS to run. Stop your B*TCHn and just keep smiling :)

3) Please join Steve Bush and quit on Monday. Since you whine just like him

4) Start banning all anonymous IP's since you threatened again all users

5) How does it feel to be fired by Microsoft oops Derek and Beth. I guess you said it yourself :)

Since this might or might not stay Ill just keep posting this if you delete me again, since I do have a right to say my thoughts! You truly should just face the facts and notice you are burnt! Hppefully you'll come to reality because someone needs to tell you!

Paragon
09-08-2002, 02:04 PM
cowabunga2

I came out very strongly earlier in this thread because I am very much against seeing peoples posts deleted without first trying other routes. I think everyone deserves a second chance. We all say things we later regret saying. As well I think deleting posts most times just plain
Ps people off making them want to try harder and harder to be heard.

However there are some people who will continue to post abusing that privilege. In your first post some of us were willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. I think that now you have shown your real intent has nothing to do with making any kind of a positive contribution here.

I think the more you continue to post the more you are going to alienate yourself.

If you have something constructive to say let's hear it. Otherwise stop the trolling.

Dave

jdhill
09-08-2002, 08:22 PM
(Senseless rant deleted for the sake of good taste.)

Since this might or might not stay Ill just keep posting this if you delete me again, since I do have a right to say my thoughts! You truly should just face the facts and notice you are burnt! Hppefully you'll come to reality because someone needs to tell you!
My, my !!! You certainly have your knickers in a knot !!!

The sooner they ban you the happier we all will be.

FedUp
09-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Jeez, Cowabunga2, GET OVER IT!! You're the one who is whining and carrying on like a 12-year-old. If I had the power, I'd kill your posts and your entire account this very minute.

You obviously do not have any real interest in this site other than to mouth off and denegrate people; I've not seen you make one positive or supportive comment. So, please find another outlet for your hatred and immaturity. Hell, I'll even register a brand new domain, set up a forum and let you piss on people from there all you want.

What do you think? www.cowabunga2pissonme.com?

Julio
09-08-2002, 09:16 PM
Hello Jason,

Welcome back Jason. This site was not the same without your postings. I look forward to hearing what you have to say on Monday.

Julio

Steven Cedrone
09-08-2002, 11:02 PM
Hi All,

On more post on this subject and then I'll let it drop...

I have been the Community Moderator here for a little over a month. In that time, I have tried to steer threads back on topic, delete duplicate posts, and edit out "colerful" words. I have even stayed out of potential flame wars (against my better judgement) with the hope that both parties would back off and apologize to eachother (which did in fact, happen).

I don't like intervening in threads or deleteing posts, but our "friend" Cowabunga(2) is a very nasty person. I'm not sure what he originally posted, but the second post that I saw made me take drastic but necessary actions against him. As you can see, the person has no intention of ever positively contributing to this community.

If I had my choice, Cowabunga(2) would never have been allowed to post here again. But given the negative resposes by the community, Jason asked me to "step back" and allow you to see what a wonderful person we are dealing with.

I don't think Jason needed to recieve the negative comments posted here. He should have been given the benefit of the doubt. If the persons posts were deleted, there was a good reason for it...

[Perry Mason]
I want to state one more time and for the record: The same actions will be taken against anyone that does what this person did, regardless of who the intended victim is...
[/Perry Mason]

That being said, let's get this behind us and welcome back Jason, O.K....

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

DrtyBlvd
09-08-2002, 11:44 PM
That being said, let's get this behind us and welcome back Jason, O.K....

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Yeee Haa. Move on people, life is tooo short and time too fleeting to waste ANYMORE of either on this.

Oh - Paragon? Talk about setting an example. Respect.

Paragon
09-09-2002, 12:13 AM
Oh - Paragon? Talk about setting an example. Respect.

I know, you are right. I made a mistake and I apologized for it. It's not one of my prouder moments for sure. But, please don't misunderstand me either. My stance on censorship does not mean that I agree in anyway with what this person has said.

Dave

DrtyBlvd
09-09-2002, 02:04 AM
...and my comment of 'respect' encompasses just that.

Now don't start again, K? :lol:

LAVA
09-09-2002, 06:41 AM

Actually, I love these articles. I wish you had no real life, Jason, so that you had time to write more of these. They are much better than most of the 'press release' style articles that I read way too much of(such as those on Cnet, etc.) I hope this does not discourage you from posting the ones that you have left.

Keep up the great work.

LAVA

P.S. I am a normally a lurker and visit your site several times a day. I am sure that there are many more like myself that enjoy the unique qualities of this site. :)

GC4062
09-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Welcome back Jason...

Steven, drop the dweebs ASAP please :)

thanks!

Jason Dunn
09-09-2002, 09:17 PM
I think this thread has run its course, and I think my point has been proven - if people come to cause trouble, there's no resource other than dropping the hammer on them. You can't reason with an anonymous person who feels they have the right, and obligation, to say hurtful things to other people.

Thread locked, Cowabunga locked out, and IP address blocked - his anonymous IP host hasn't responded to my email yet, so anyone using that service will be unable to post to the site. Pity that they let one user abuse their system and don't seem to care about it.