View Full Version : Sever issue with Cubicle Chaos!?

David27
09-06-2002, 03:31 AM
I installed and was using Microsoft’s free pocket pc download Cubicle Chaos on a Toshiba e740. It was working fine until it seemly crashed on my wife. I had to do a soft reset. When the PDA recovered, I noticed the stylus alignment was off, so I reset it using the Align program. Then I noticed that parts of the lower screen in the area of the keyboard, would not work at all. I did several hard resets, etc. they never would work again. I figured I just had a hardware problem and that is why Cubicle Chaos crashed on me. I return my PDA for a new unit and restored from a back up and everything was working fine until my wife was playing Cubicle Chaos 5 days later and it crashed again. After a soft reset the same scenario, parts of the screen are dead. This has to be a software problem? There is no way this game could be destroying screens?

Even thought the lower portion of the screen will not work correctly I have tried to simulate what my wife was doing when Cubicle Chaos crashed. It appears that when you hit the high score screen were you enter your name; it will pop up the keyboard area for you to enter your text. Apparently the keyboard can disappear off the screen, but the screen will not let you hit the games button to continue till you bring the keyboard back up by clicking on your entered name and actually hit the enter key on the popup keyboard. I was unable to figure this out on the first two times this happened and had no desire to deal with it, so I did a soft reset. This should have caused absolutely no problems, but it did. I am assuming what is happening is that this Cubicle Chaos game is setting up is own stylus alignment for the game play, but has to run a second alignment to allow the keyboard to work correctly, and it must be writing these alignment changes to the ROM? Since a hard reset will not fix the problem. Because I did a soft reset the while the keyboard area was invoked in the game it was never set back to its original state. I actually called and reported this issue to Toshiba and they had not heard of it and had no answer for fixing the alignment in this case.

Somebody please tell me there is something I can do to fix this, without having to return a five day old unit. Right now I having to think there is something very wrong with Cubicle Chaos and have to warn people to think twice about installing it. This is a major issue that must be fixed you should be able to soft reset on your pocket pc with any application without it destroying your hardware.

I asked Toshiba if a flashing the ROM might fix the problem but was told that there is no ROM and that they really do not know it if would help. Not sure what this program is doing to the screen/alignment.

Thanks…
David

blang
09-06-2002, 10:23 PM
I have an IPAQ 3955 and it works fine. However, it seems to want to be installed in main memory rather than an SD card. I installed it on a CF card but haven't had a chance to see if there are any problems.

David27
09-07-2002, 08:19 PM
I think the issue here is that my pda was soft rest while the this game was stil running. I have a strong feeling that any pda that rests or loses power while playing this game will have the same stylus alingment problems and there seems to be no way to correct it. At any rate I have now replaced two e740s because of this game and have no plans of installing it again.

I did find one other post from back in April through google about this same issue with Cubicle Chaos on a different brand of pda.

I am now very concerned about using any software that seems to need to reset the stylus alinmemt to function.

David