View Full Version : Weird ActiveSync/USB problem

Ravenswing
09-05-2002, 11:44 AM
I seem to be having a problem which relates to ActiveSync, but could be a USB issue. Anyone seen anything like this?

When I sync my iPAQ (a 3630) with my desktop PC (a Compaq model) processor utilisation on the System process goes through the roof. This does actually interfere with other processes to the point where I can't always have the iPAQ docked if I want to do other stuff.

I had thought it was the Belikin hub I'm using, but plugging directly into a port on the computer is giving the same results. (Plugging into a front port on the PC seemed to resolve the problem, but is a bit inconvenient.)

Help :!: :?:

Jason Dunn
09-05-2002, 08:46 PM
The initial sync will take quite a few of CPU power as it scans your Outlook file looking for new data, but once that sync has completed, it should never consume more than 8-10% of your CPU cycles.

Ravenswing
09-06-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Jason, but I don't think this is a direct ActiveSync problem. It could be something to do with the USB drivers, or the iPAQ USB driver.

There's no activity (apart from the usual 8-10%) on the wcescomm process, but the System process (that does all the interrupt handling &c) is basically grabbing as much CPU as it can.

I've plugged the iPAQ back into a different port (which happens to be a different hub) on my desktop and the laod has gone. I can only assume it's an issue with the USB implementation or an interaction with the other devices on the back-port hub.

Jason Dunn
09-07-2002, 06:48 AM
Glad to hear you solved the problem! Sounds like it might be a defective hub.