View Full Version : Delorme's XMap softwre

lonewolf69
09-01-2002, 04:59 PM
Has anyone used this for the Toshiba E740 or Compaq's 39XX (XSCALE) processor? How well does this application work (using street atlas on PC/LAPTOP) wanted to purchase this for PDA? Does it work well with CF GPS units?

Thanks in advance!

-Alex

Loki Gelfling
09-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Pass on it, for now. It freezes if you zoom past 14, and has problems opening large maps. The doc is horrible, as is the help on both the dekstop and pocketpc (it installs a bunch of different topics under the main PocketPC help [coding standards?]). The routing does work, but there is no provision for "via's". The find is horrible, it finds everyone in my contacts folder, no matter what the search criteria. There is no find an address. DeLorme has released 2 patches for it already, and it's still buggy. I'm not a DeLorme basher, I have purchased SA3, SA4, SA5, SA6, SA8, MNG6, MNG8, and Xmap Handheld, so I do like their products(well except the D105/D108 protocol bug that they won't fix for firmware updated Garmin eMaps, but I use G7toWin to work around that).

Xmap is really a Palm product ported over to PocketPC (note that all the files are pdb). I just installed it on my wife's Palm m125, and haven't had time to see if it does the same things as on my Toshiba e740, where it's been running about 2 months.

If you are patient, it is a good compliment to Pocket Streets & Trips, but I wouldn't use it in a town where I'm unfamiliar with the streets.

My $.02,
Loki :(

borgy
12-09-2002, 11:08 PM
:x Not pleased. Wish I gone with Microsoft. Previously pleased with Delorme Streets but find both Streets & trips 2003 and xmap counterintuitive and poorly documented. My past experience led me to buy without checking forums. BIG MISTAKE!
I agree with previous reply and apply it to the current program(s). Blew another $50. :cry:

borgy
12-09-2002, 11:17 PM
I referred to Street and Trips but I meant Delorme Street Atlas wit the Xmap references above. :? Sorry for any confusion.