View Full Version : Shiny, new iPAQ Pocket PC

Andy Sjostrom
08-31-2002, 09:45 AM
<a href="http://athome.compaq.com/showroom/static/ipaq/3975.asp">http://athome.compaq.com/showroom/static/ipaq/3975.asp</a><br /><br />I am back! After about a year with my trusty HP Jornada 565 I have now officially switched over to an HP iPAQ Pocket PC 3970/3975, which means that I am back to iPAQ domains! What a sweet device this is! The TFT display beats anything I have ever seen before. When I add my 128 MB SD card to the built in 64 MB SDRAM, I have 192 MB of storage in my pocket. Now, I just need to pick up a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone to get this beauty wirelessly connected! I will keep everyone updated with how my switching goes! I will publish some pictures in my next post, so that you also can see what a <a href="http://www.proporta.com/detail.asp?id=276">cool case</a> I use to carry it!

Arne Hess
08-31-2002, 12:35 PM
The next one we catch is Marlof... ;-)

[oops. in stead of "reply" I clicked on edit. this is all that is left of Arne's original post. I know he said he really liked the iPAQ, was happy for Andy, and his pun was that I should be next. sorry arne. will try not to post in the middle of the night. marlof]

Master O'Mayhem
08-31-2002, 05:35 PM
192 MB? ahh thats nothing... this is what i carry in my ipaq and case

Krussel - Madeby Whitney CF case http://www.madebywhitney.com/products/whitneynew/whitneynew1.htm Best Case/Combo money can buy 99.00 USD.

1GB SimpleTech CF Type 2 card (in CF Slot in case)
2 512 MB SD cards in SD pockets of case
1 512 MB SD card in Ipaq 3970
T68i Bluetooth Phone

So you can see with it all it is alot.. next is to get is the PocketPCTechs 256MB internal upgrade... when its available... :)

ALthough I have been using my TMOBILE PPC2K2PE mostly. ;)

heliod
08-31-2002, 06:32 PM
I do envy you. :twisted: . I am crazy for the beautiful screen and the stronger sound of the Ipaq.

I am still with my Jornada 568 with a MMC battery and a 64 MB SD card. What makes me happy :P is the Socket BT cards (Jornada and Notebook) and the MSI Bluetooth USB dongle (desktop), besides the Ericsson R520m and the BT Headset, that make everything connected.

BTW, after you get everything connected try to use Running Voice GSM. You will really enjoy it.

Helio

Chris Forsberg
08-31-2002, 07:38 PM
BTW, after you get everything connected try to use Running Voice GSM. You will really enjoy it.
Yes, Running Voice GSM is a really cool piece of software that I have been using with my iPAQ 3970 via BT to my T39 for some weeks now. My current favorite feature is the traffic counter. The fact that I no longer have to exit RV to connect is excellent.

Foo Fighter
09-01-2002, 12:16 AM
I'm not exactly a big fan of the iPaq. But Ooh La La is that screen ever gorgeous on the 39xx series. When I first looked at the 3950, I nearly passed out! Hands down (pun intended) the best color LCD I've ever seen on a PDA. :Fade-color

Will T Smith
09-01-2002, 01:39 AM
Traitor!!!

All things aside the iPaq does have a very nice screen that expresses color much better then the reflective models.

As I use my PDA outdoor alot, I'm still a fan of reflective. Organic LCD should solve all the problems though.

I do look forward to seeing this Transreflective Technology applied to laptops where outdoor use is difficult and sidelighting an impossibility due to the large screen.

marlof
09-01-2002, 11:02 AM
The next one we catch is Marlof... ;-)

O, I've joined you for some months with my 3870. But now I am back with the last of the Jornada's. I'll only return to the iPAQ camp when the Jornada line is extinguished. Bwaaahaaahaaaa.

Arne Hess
09-01-2002, 12:20 PM
[oops. in stead of "reply" I clicked on edit. this is all that is left of Arne's original post. I know he said he really liked the iPAQ, was happy for Andy, and his pun was that I should be next. sorry arne. will try not to post in the middle of the night. marlof]

Doesn't matter Marlof! You will be the next for sure, even if you edit my post or not... :wink: :lol:

For all the others and just the records (because I want this beer, hehehe), here what Marlof prommies me and sorry Marlof, yes I have to publish it here - the reason for that you gave me by yourself (the last comment)... :D :lol: :wink:

MSN IM Log (thanks Marlof for sending it to me):

[12:07] Marlof Bregonje says: Oops. By accident i edited in stead of quoted your post on Andy's 3970..... sigh.
[12:08] Arne Hess [Desktop] says: ouch... :-(
[12:08] Marlof Bregonje says: yeah... I did write down my error, but feel free to reedit, reply whatever. :)
[12:11] Marlof Bregonje says: next time we'll meet, i'll buy you a beer to get over this. :)
[12:12] Arne Hess [Desktop] says: i will edit it back... ;-) i still remember what i've said... ;-)
[12:12] Marlof Bregonje says: i'll still buy you a beer
[12:12] Arne Hess [Desktop] says: hehehe... i take your word...
[12:12] Marlof Bregonje says: never take the word of a lawyer

marlof
09-01-2002, 03:24 PM
O man, Arne, you're not making this easy on me, are you? I'm looking forward to the next time we'll meet! :)

juni
09-01-2002, 03:58 PM
Out of curiosity: Have they finally resolved the dust-under-the-screen issue?

marlof
09-01-2002, 04:02 PM

That was already solved in my 3870.

Arne Hess
09-01-2002, 04:48 PM
O man, Arne, you're not making this easy on me, are you? I'm looking forward to the next time we'll meet! :)
Nothing personal, just the German thirst for a free beer... :oops: :lol:

Foo Fighter
09-01-2002, 06:18 PM

Transflective LCDs don't have a dust problem because there is no gap between the screen and digitizer. Plus these displays are backlit, as apposed to side lighting on reflective models.

In my opinion, Transflective displays are FAAAAAARRRR superior, and I hope this technology displaces reflective LCDs as soon as possible. At least until organic LCDs hit the market.

juni
09-02-2002, 05:55 AM
My Ipaq 3630 had dust, my HP Jornada 568 had dust...I am paranoid about this issue.

Ravenswing
09-02-2002, 01:51 PM
I just wish the local PC World would get a 3900 on display, so I could look at one of these wonderful transflective displays.

(Are you listening, Mr PC World?)

Jonathon Watkins
09-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Ravenswing, just come down to Totemham Court road in London - all the PDAs you will ever want on display and to handle. I looked at a 3950 next to a LOOX - no contest. I just will not buy an IPAQ. I will wait till the next generation of devices with such screens.